RAF Vehicle Paint & Decals

biffer

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, as it's not 'armour', but not really 'aircraft' either???

Anyway; I've got a couple of Italeri 1/24 vehicle kits (Land-Rover & Ford Transit) which I intend to finish in RAF colours from the '80s.  As most of you will know, by that period the RAF had undergone a 'toning down' phase, which resulted in most 'B' vehicles being painted NATO Green.  So, what would your recommendations be as regards the most realistic source of this colour?   (PAUSE TO ALLOW WORM-CAN OPENING).  I bought a rattle-can of supposedly NG by PaintFactory the other day, but in hindsight, it looks a tad light to me.  There's also the issue of matt or semi-gloss(?).  For instance; every RAF Land-Rover I've seen is finished in a matt IRR paint - but vehicles like vans, trucks and saloon cars appear to have been finished in semi-gloss.  Can anyone enlighten me on this issue:  i.e., what were the regulations as regards painting in matt or semi-gloss?

Also, to save me the trouble of making my own decals, does anyone know of a source of RAF roundels, and the yellow stripes with 'Royal Air Force' lettering, as per the photo below, in 1/24?

Many thanks for helpful replies - it's appreciated!

Andy

spacer.png

Kingfisher Miniatures have a range of decals that might be suitable.http://www.kingfisherminiatures.co.uk/

As for colours, during most of the "cold war" RAF airfield vehicles were plain IRR Green. Deployable vehicles such as those supporting Harrier Force and Regiment vehicles were generally IRR Green and black as per Army practice. Staff cars and some vans and minibuses without a War or Transition To War operational role were about the only exception, generally kept in assorted stock colours. This was also the period of the Troubles, when many MOD vehicles were "civilianised" for security. Black became seen as too traditional and obvious.

Once the Cold War ended there was a gradual return to non-tactical highly visible colours for Air Side vehicles. However, General Service vehicles such as Land Rovers, 4-tonners etc remained in green or green/black - as did Regiment vehicles.

Fat & Das - thanks for your replies.  I'll stick with a matt-look, then.  The Kingfisher decals are all the wrong scales, but I've ordered some 1/76 RAF roundels and lettering in hopes the larger examples might look OK on a 1/24 model.  If not, well, they didn't cost much, and maybe I can pass them on to someone on here.

Cheers!

Andy

PS

Still need a recommendation on whose paint I should use. 🤔

I did a couple of RAF Landies in 1/35 using both masked yellow paint and yellow decal strip with rub-down lettering.  Dry lettering also for ERM plates.

Roundels in assorted styles are available in scales from1/144 to 1/24 from various manufacturers.  You obviously want the style with equal-width rings (Type A or D?).  You should be able to calculate your 1/24 size to match something in 1/48 or 1/72. Model Hobbies have a range of decal sets including roundels.  I'm sure other sellers do too.

Here's a reasonably-priced set from Mark 1 in 1/144 which might be ideal for small roundels in larger scales. https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/mark-i-decals-1144-raf-type-d-roundels-2-sets--14406-86682-p.asp

Thanks, Das Abteilung, I'll check those out.

Meanwhile, I came across the following site with tons of interesting info' on post-war vehicle markings (Army, RAF, and RN):-

https://www.emlra.org/index.php/articles/painting-and-marking-post-war-british-vehicles-p-1-4 

Notice that there's four pages of info' on the site.  I personally found Page-4 to be most relevant to my queries, but well worth checking out the others too.

I'm sure this might answer a lot of questions others might have on the topic of markings.  For myself, it states that for RAF vehicles, the wording 'Royal Air Force' should be in BLUE letters on a golden-yellow background.  Methinks that most vehicle finishers must have interpreted that to be Navy-Blue letters, as they all look black to me. (???).

Andy