Question about detailing an Airfix Blenheim for 1/48 diorama presentation

28ZComeback

I am considering a “full meal” option for the glorious Airfix Blenheim for a gift diorama for a restrained WW2 diorama.  My goal is the fully detail the cockpit and add an SBS engine and cowls, plus perhaps drop the flaps. Has anyone used the CMK resin cockpit interior and if so, is it really distinctive?  How about the Eduard sets? As to the bombs, do the kit bombs look ok?  Finally can someone recommend a RAF 1/48 figure that is exceptional?  Thank you very much. 

The kit comes complete  with 4 x 250lb GP which scale out just about OK for length, but they are a little fat  scaling out to being a bit closer to a 500lb GP  in that dimension  (250 lb was 11"  dia and 500lb  14 " dia in real life) but at that scale its  not worth bothering about. The small 20 lb frags are quite good but you have to drill the tails out.

The bombs could be  light buff or bronze green in colour (they changed over to Bronze green around 1941. For gods sake don't put yellow bands on them, The RAF did not adopt  that marking system until 1964! They should have a thin (1/2" in real life) red band just behind the nose and a (2" in real life)  Eau de nil band around the fattest part of the bomb.

Selwyn 

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a great project.  All the more so as the Blenheim is one of my dearest

favourites. 

A word of caution regarding the flaps though:  the procedure was to keep these closed when on the ground, not hanging open as is often depicted.  I remember seeing an interview with one of the crew who maintain the present day Mk I.  He mentioned this and kind of smirked as he said they make an exception to the rule and open them at airshows “ because modellers and whatnot like that sort of thing”.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1