Novo kits relaunched?

sorleygoldie

15 hours ago, gavingav said:

revell sea skua too.

Oh yes.  I built it as well!  Actually, that one got binned.  Not a good kit.

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

... don’t forget the good old Canberra! 

And that one as well!  The best Canberra kit from that era, I reckon.

16 hours ago, sniperUK said:

Sea Vixen as well. 

And that one.  In fact, I think I built all of them except the Shackleton.  The only Luftwaffe one I remember was the Ta152.  At least I think it was the Frog kit.  It seemed to have the Frog generic pilot. 

Well, it look like the VC-10 is out of the equation but, If there was any chance of the V Bomber, D H Herald and Comet kits appearing again that might be nice

Did they not also do a 707?

Allan

2 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

It was released in several Tasman versions, so the moulds survived Frog's demise.

If you mean the Oxford, the Tasman kit is not related to the Frog one, being their own old style short run mould, not dissimilar from the old High Planes kit (and I wonder if they were manufactured by the same people)

I have one in the stash and is a very interesting kit, with a lot of metal parts and some very comprehensive instructions with plenty of detail pictures. Not one for the casual modeller though, as all parts require a lot of cleaning and I don't expect assembly to be easy

• Like 1

Hi guys,
unfortunately I don't have time for the site. Therefore, you see only  one page.
My friends (@Snorry one of them) and I set out everything that we had about history os NOVO kits in USSR, based on our personal experience. We could make additions regarding some kits, partially made a translation into English ... but, as I mentioned above - there is no time for all this. And maybe desire also. Retromodels are pretty stuffed with graphics (related to NOVO), but a lot of text, with a claim to objectivity, is only guesses.
Perhaps Novokits.ru (.info) will be launched again, under favorable circumstances. 
And yep - Yak-40 flies over NY in background image. I has draw this some years ago. 

6047547202_m.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Well, it look like the VC-10 is out of the equation but, If there was any chance of the V Bomber, D H Herald and Comet kits appearing again that might be nice

Did they not also do a 707?

Allan

Comet and Herald moulds certainly existed in the post Frog World, unlike the V bomber ones that did not make it to the Novo era.

Yes, Frog made a 707 too, ironically in 1/144 scale, the Qantas V Jet and Aer Lingus liveried versions of the kits are extremely collectible.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Oh yes.  I built it as well!  Actually, that one got binned.  Not a good kit.

And that one as well!  The best Canberra kit from that era, I reckon.

And that one.  In fact, I think I built all of them except the Shackleton.  The only Luftwaffe one I remember was the Ta152.  At least I think it was the Frog kit.  It seemed to have the Frog generic pilot. 

From memory, the FROG range had a Ju-88,Bf-110, He-219,He-111, Me-262 and Me-410. I certainly recall the Ta-152. I don't know how many, if any finished up in the NOVO guise.

FROG also had in 1/32, Fw-190, Me-262 and, Bf-109E but, these were Hasegawa kits repackaged.

I was recently able to obtain the FROG Martin Maryland and. Martin Baltimore at pretty decent prices😊

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

19 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Comet and Herald moulds certainly existed in the post Frog World, unlike the V bomber ones that did not make it to the Novo era.

Yes, Frog made a 707 too, ironically in 1/144 scale, the Qantas V Jet and Aer Lingus liveried versions of the kits are extremely collectible.

Tommo.

Herald was very nice - it was sold in USSR (like most others ex-frog kits) under digital index, not a real name. Now it is rarity, moulds are presumable lost.

Boeing 707 is still alive. https://ark-models.org/catalog.php?cid=341&lng=2

43 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

From memory, the FROG range had a Ju-88,Bf-110, He-219,He-111, Me-262 and Me-410. I certainly recall the Ta-152. I don't know how many, if any finished up in the NOVO guise.

FROG also had in 1/32, Fw-190, Me-262 and, Bf-109E but, these were Hasegawa kits repackaged.

I was recently able to obtain the FROG Martin Maryland and. Martin Baltimore at pretty decent prices😊

Allan

No nazi plane in USSR! These moulds did not go to NOVO.

15 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

Revell got all the German WW2 aircraft kits including the ones you mentioned plus the Arado Ar234, Heinkel He115 and He162, though I'm not sure if they used the Me262 mould because the one I built in the late 70's was Revells own and kind of wide in the fuselage and had the Revell trademark on the inside. The 707 was a very early -100 I think and the last time I saw the Herald it was from a company called Maquette in the mid 90's. The Maryland is still with Ark not sure if they have the Baltimore though. Novo released it in the late 70's I think, sure I saw it in a big model shop near Wembly Stadium(?) when I got hold of a novo Fairey Delta 2. Really wanted the VC-10 but didn't have much pocket money back then!

Paul Harrison

On 11/5/2019 at 10:52 AM, Giorgio N said:

If you mean the Oxford, the Tasman kit is not related to the Frog one, being their own old style short run mould, not dissimilar from the old High Planes kit (and I wonder if they were manufactured by the same people)

I have one in the stash and is a very interesting kit, with a lot of metal parts and some very comprehensive instructions with plenty of detail pictures. Not one for the casual modeller though, as all parts require a lot of cleaning and I don't expect assembly to be easy

I expect (but do not know) that it was the High Planes kit.  Tasman did something similar with the Frog (actually maybe Novo by then) Sea Venom, tarting it up usefully with vacform canopy, white metal interior parts, etc.

3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

Did Revell release any of those though? I'm pretty sure the Ta152 was a Frog mould and Revell did release an He219 a while back which I built,  Judging by the mould it was pretty old but I seem to remember it in Revell's catalogues in the '70s so presumably it was their own rather than Frog's. 

2 hours ago, mr_stomach said:

Herald was very nice - it was sold in USSR (like most others ex-frog kits) under digital index, not a real name. Now it is rarity, moulds are presumable lost.

Boeing 707 is still alive. https://ark-models.org/catalog.php?cid=341&lng=2

I have a Herald kit, in either an Eastern Express or Maquette boxing (I forget which) and it has, sadly, not worn well.  I haven't looked at it for a while but it is covered in flash and has some nasty scaring on the upper wing surfaces.  If the mould still exists it has pretty much reached the end of its life. 

21 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

I expect (but do not know) that it was the High Planes kit.  Tasman did something similar with the Frog (actually maybe Novo by then) Sea Venom, tarting it up usefully with vacform canopy, white metal interior parts, etc.

I remember the Tasman Sea Venom and being very tempted to buy one when visiting a local swap meet around Sydney. Missed the chance but bought the Oxford..

15 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Did Revell release any of those though? I'm pretty sure the Ta152 was a Frog mould and Revell did release an He219 a while back which I built,  Judging by the mould it was pretty old but I seem to remember it in Revell's catalogues in the '70s so presumably it was their own rather than Frog's. 

They did issue most of them, the He-219 was maybe the exception as Revell had their own tool. However the Frog kit was sold under the Matchbox label when Revell owned them.

Of the ones they sure reissued I built the Ar-234 and found it quite a good kit for its days. The Ta-152 has been reissued quite recently but it is not one of my favourites

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

.. the He-219 was maybe the exception as Revell had their own tool. However the Frog kit was sold under the Matchbox label when Revell owned them.

The FROG He 219 is memorable for me in having the finest (ie most delicate) Lichtenstein radar aerials I have ever seen on an injection moulded kit.  They really put the crude offerings in the recent Airfix Me 262B kit to shame.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Also the Ar 234, Do 335 (two seater), He 115, Do 17Z, Fw 190A, Ju 87G, Bf 109F, and He 162. I believe all except the 190 and 109 have reappeared in Revell boxes; none were issued in Novo boxes because none of the Axis kits went to the Soviet Union.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Also the Ar 234, Do 335 (two seater), He 115, Do 17Z, Fw 190A, Ju 87G, Bf 109F, and He 162. I believe all except the 190 and 109 have reappeared in Revell boxes; none were issued in Novo boxes because none of the Axis kits went to the Soviet Union.

That's what I thought too. However:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-congost-messerschmitt-bf-109f--1165032

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-congost-focke-wulf-190-a-4--168714

Richard Humm pointed these out in the recent FROG Group Build.

Neither seems to have been released generally in Europe though.

The only ex-Axis FROG kit I can't seem to account for in any sort of Revell box is the D/G Stuka. 

John

Revell also had their own Ju87D/G which (like the He219) was more detailed than the Frog one.  In this context we should mention the Matchbox tools that Revell also obtained, and wonder which He.115 was released?  I also rather doubt that Revell ever released the Frog Ju.88 above their own.

I don't think that any of the older 1950s moulds except the Gannet were ever seen again, but the N.113 was rarely seen anyway.  The Venom apparently was broken whilst still in Frog hands.  I think that there is a thread about Lincoln kits, discussing the production of some of these in New Zealand.  In which case they were with the moulds reputedly on a ship which sank on its way to Hong Kong.

It's true, Revell never released the FROG Ju-88.

In the first time, REVELL has the FROG He-115 in the program.

It come in 1977 on the market and was there until the end of the 80. 

He has the number H-241.

In 1993 the former Matchbox He-115 comes as He-115 C-1 (No. 4342) in the shops.

For me FROG Heinkel is the better once.

modelldoc

3 hours ago, modelldoc said:

and the Heinkel He-219,

Revell release the kit in the same time as FROG, so they used their model.

modelldoc 

Yes indeed, the He219 and Ju88. I'd forgotten about them.

Revell seems to have access to 3 1/72 Ju87D/G moulds. They seem to prefer their own though. 

John