1/72 BF 109 G10 night fighter with Fug 217J

Walter

My second build in the BF 109 Night Fighter series this one with Fug 217J radar on the underside of the plane. Not much detail on this a/c all that I've come up with is it was in 4./NJG 11 late war. Markings white 7

I have modified the engine cover to reflect the G10 finished off the cockpit.

49011447486_afd2c7c0c6_b.jpg

49010922948_33c322fcae_b.jpg

What do you think of the fuselage join is it smooth enough? comments welcome.

49011458236_c5ca70691c_b.jpg

@Corsairfoxfouruncle   Dennis what are your thoughts?

Edited by Walter
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Walter said:

My second build in the BF 109 Night Fighter series this one with Fug 217J radar on the underside of the plane. Not much detail on this a/c all that I've come up with is it was in 4./NJG 11 late war. Markings white 7

I have modified the engine cover to reflect the G10 finished off the cockpit.

What do you think of the fuselage join is it smooth enough? comments welcome.

49011458236_c5ca70691c_b.jpg

@Corsairfoxfouruncle   Dennis what are your thoughts?

The join does look good just don't forget that there is a seam that ran on the very top and bottom of 109’s. From the canopy to the rudder on top, and from the wing box to the rudder on the bottom. you can see it in these drawings. 
2lHYGV9.jpg

sd7oj6H.jpg

I hope that helps ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Looking very good. Which kit are you using? Wouldn't mind doing a G10 in 1/72.

On 04/11/2019 at 16:35, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

there is a seam that ran on the very top and bottom of 109’s. From the canopy to the rudder on top, and from the wing box to the rudder on the bottom. you can see it in these drawings. 

Well that is a pain. Most of my 109s have seams. Both of my completed(ish) 1/48 Emils have quite obvious seams upon close inspection, but not by choice just by my bad job of dealing with them. Turns out it's actually correct which is lucky for me I guess 😂

• Like 2

Adam the kit is by Academy. It a nice kit on par with Tamiya. Detail seems more to scale than Tamiya.

Dennis when you mention the seams is this because you think the model should reflect visible panel lines? 

8 hours ago, Walter said:

Dennis when you mention the seams is this because you think the model should reflect visible panel lines?

It is your model and of course your choice. I just decided to share the info in the off chance you were unaware of them. Im by no means a rivet counter so I'm not saying you should do them. Personally I place the two seems on the thrust line. I sand the fuselage until its a smooth then replace those with a light score. I tight pencil line along the edge of tape works also, I've done it that way before, then sprayed my satin coat to lock the pencil line. 

Dennis

Ok I understand. I like the idea of using a pencil to highlight the panel lines. You learn something everyday.

This particular build will be the complete opposite. These planes had a high polish on them, apparently they also puttied up panel lines and rivetts in an attempt to increase aero efficiency.

Edited by Walter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Walter said:

antenna cut now the tricky bit of gluing them to pe, this stuff is so small, I can barely see it.

Do you have an opti-visor, something like this ? 

https://www.falcontool.com/PublicStore/product/OptiVISOR-Light-Kit,524,614.aspx

I have something similar and it really works good. Takes a bit of getting used to but nothing major. 

Dennis

12 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Do you have an opti-visor, something like this ? 

https://www.falcontool.com/PublicStore/product/OptiVISOR-Light-Kit,524,614.aspx

I have something similar and it really works good. Takes a bit of getting used to but nothing major. 

Dennis

I've order one Dennis it can't come quick enough 😂

• Like 1

Finished painted and have started adding decals, my only negative with this kit. I'm not decided on whether to add the usual wing stencils yet. What do you think? Did the Luftwaffe still insist all plane markings were applied, or could it be the case that very late war it didn't matter so much as having a working plane that could fly.

Canopy isn't finished so gaps will be gone 

49053450532_0bfef35fd3_b.jpg

49053450727_08d6edff4e_b.jpg

Edited by Walter
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Walter said:

What do you think? Did the Luftwaffe still insist all plane markings were applied, or could it be the case that very late war it didn't matter so much as having a working plane that could fly.

Photo’s are your best source of info there ? If you cant find a photo of your plane then one from that unit or similar role would be your best chance to identify markings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally finished, I took almost as long to do the canopy and radio wire as I did the whole plane 😊. I wanted to take my time with the last bits to improve my skills and the accuracy of the plane in keeping with my challenge of reproducing a very limited example of a Nachtjagdgruppe 10 plane. 

I really enjoyed doing some scratch building due to the fact that there isn't much available to build such a plane, so had to study scale size of all the radar antenna, luckily I found a sketch for antenna size and layout for a FW190, I should be able to improve on the FuG 217J setup with my next build, I think I can simplify it and get a better result and just had to scratch build the flame dampers as well. Lots of fun.

I spent a lot of time researching this plane and its squadron, the details are scant, trust me to pick such a rare topic. In the end it isn't "White 7" but "White 5"(that's the number I had available). I'm not convinced the actual plane was white 7 any how, I couldn't find any conclusive evidence, not that it really matters anyway.

A big thank you to @Corsairfoxfouruncle for his assistance on historical matters concerning this plane. 

I hope you like it.

49098767151_cec73af4a7_b.jpg

49098956797_f29109b43c_b.jpg

49098253263_bd398f9614_b.jpg

49098959757_9d1ab3974a_b.jpg

Edited by Walter
  • Like 1