Highway of death

I have been trying out different techniques and diorama design styles for some time now. Been working out on the 'Damaged scattered' look, and car damaged look. Haven't been able to decide on a possible diorama look but been working on variations(at least two). Figures will also be added later. Still needs a little bit mor work. 

highway_dio14-vi.jpg

highway_dio4c-vi.jpg

highway_dio4d-vi.jpg

highway_dio5-vi.jpg

highway_dio6-vi.jpg

highway_dio7-vi.jpg

highway_dio8-vi.jpg

highway_dio8a-vi.jpg

highway_dio9-vi.jpg

highway_dio10a-vi.jpg

highway_dio11-vi.jpg

highway_dio11a-vi.jpg

highway_dio15-vi.jpg

highway_dio15a-vi.jpg

highway_dio15b-vi.jpg

highway_dio15c-vi.jpg

highway_dio15e-vi.jpg

highway_dio15g-vi.jpg

highway_dio16-vi.jpg

highway_dio16b-vi.jpg

highway_dio16d-vi.jpg

highway_dio16f-vi.jpg

highway_dio16g-vi.jpg

highway_dio21-vi.jpg

highway_dio23-vi.jpg

highway_dio24-vi.jpg

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Superb, very well done. May I suggest one thing? Some fine, rusty wire wrapped loosely around the wheels to represent the steel belts that were in the tyres would be another detail to add.

Here's an example

https://www.istockphoto.com/au/photo/burned-and-charred-remains-of-a-fire-damaged-car-left-on-the-side-of-the-road-after-gm1094457742-293741125

The wires are visible around the wheel in the foreground. Just a thought.

It looks real . Very good . Hard to believe there is a lot of plastic there , looks like mangled metal .

well done and thanks for showing

5 hours ago, Yorkshire man said:

Very convincing.

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

Superb, very well done. May I suggest one thing? Some fine, rusty wire wrapped loosely around the wheels to represent the steel belts that were in the tyres would be another detail to add.

Here's an example

https://www.istockphoto.com/au/photo/burned-and-charred-remains-of-a-fire-damaged-car-left-on-the-side-of-the-road-after-gm1094457742-293741125

The wires are visible around the wheel in the foreground. Just a thought.

Hi Rob. Yeah. I gad thought about it but seeing that most of the photos I had used shown mostly the rims without any steel belts. A nice feature though. I remember doing just that on my Burnt out truck. :)

Btw, I love the reference photos. Definitely saving those to my heaps of ref photos. Thanks. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 9:47 PM, Richard E said:

That's artistry not model making Charles.

I don't know what your plans are for the figures are but have you considered a civilian photographer/film crew to bring some contrasting colour to the finished scene.

Not really, but now that you've  mentioned it, I will definitely consider it. Thank you for the tip. 

Edited by tiking
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

amazing work - no more needs to be said!

Is that the meng pickup truck you have blown up?  I did a version with the AA guns on the back painted as a Jurassic Park vehicle.  Your painting skills to make them look burnt out is very good.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:42 AM, kapam said:

A very sombre scene but so realistically modelled!

Well done!

👍👍

Thank you kindly. Glad you approved.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:24 PM, Pagey said:

amazing work - no more needs to be said!

Is that the meng pickup truck you have blown up?  I did a version with the AA guns on the back painted as a Jurassic Park vehicle.  Your painting skills to make them look burnt out is very good.

Thank you. Yes. It is the MENG pickup truck. 

On 12/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

Like to see how you did the burn effect.

Its pretty and not so advance method, as I am a modeller who like quick and easy procedures. One day, I'll try and do a How-to video. 

On 12/1/2019 at 6:37 PM, PLC1966 said:

Yer see, sometimes things cross from modelling to artistry.

Excellent work.  Well done.

Thank you. Glad you see it as such. 

On 12/1/2019 at 10:42 PM, LostCosmonauts said:

Utterly brilliant

My humble thanks. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Charles,

I was expecting one of your usual utterly brilliant diorama, but this excels anything you've ever done, in my opinion. It can't have been easy to work out which bits of which vehicles could be torn and rent apart, or which parts would burn and melt and disappear, and which parts might buckle in the heat but remain. I think the road itself is a masterpiece, with, no doubt, considerable thought going into the bomb crater and the lifted slabs of tarmac as well as the burnt patches, cracks and the distribution of rubble. I have to say that your colour palette is perfect and I would not add any 'contrasting' colour, not even that supplied by a news crew. Those of us who remember seeing those images on TV at the time will remember how very nearly monochrome everything was.

I am truly, truly impressed.

Festive rearguards,

Badder

23 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Charles,

I was expecting one of your usual utterly brilliant diorama, but this excels anything you've ever done, in my opinion. It can't have been easy to work out which bits of which vehicles could be torn and rent apart, or which parts would burn and melt and disappear, and which parts might buckle in the heat but remain. I think the road itself is a masterpiece, with, no doubt, considerable thought going into the bomb crater and the lifted slabs of tarmac as well as the burnt patches, cracks and the distribution of rubble. I have to say that your colour palette is perfect and I would not add any 'contrasting' colour, not even that supplied by a news crew. Those of us who remember seeing those images on TV at the time will remember how very nearly monochrome everything was.

I am truly, truly impressed.

Festive rearguards,

Badder

I must must thank you from the bottom of my heart for your comment. :) Although, I could have tweaked things a little more, but this was not my end goal. The diorama was basically a test run for a smaller vignette, which I still working on at the moment.  In the process of working on the figures, which is never an easy task considering my little experience with figure painting. But honestly, I think I have improved and can't wait to show you all the results. Got three more to go and slight tweaking on the vignette itself before calling it done. Unfortunately, the entire diorama doesn't exist any more. I have kinda, shorten it to about the middle, where the torn chassi lies and highway light are situated. I've run outta space for bigger dioramas at the moment, so I needed to downsize a little. ;)

Anyhow, thank you for your detail commentary about the diorama. I always enjoyed when I get comments by members detailing every aspect of the diorama and what I was thinking or thought process behind it. It shows, you have gone over with a fine tooth comb. :) Thank you Badder.

• Like 2