“What is this madness?” It’s a Freedom Gundam MG 1/100 by Bandai WIP

Wowza! The most bountiful page one I think I have ever done. 🥳 thanks for following along, if indeed you are. I’ve noticed that the WIP builds here on the sci-fi wing of Brit modeller are less granular especially on the Gundam builds. I apologise if my WIP is a little too step by step but I’m hoping to show how I got to where I get rather than showing a pretty end product.  Hopefully there will be a pretty end product too.😇 however. 🤣

Ally hoop here are some more steps for your viewing pleasure. 

We got some paint on.
leg.

49115480962_96481a179b_b.jpg

tamiya rubber. 🥰

Some armour painted with my white mix.

49115480822_cd236eea71_b.jpg

And some colours at last. ❤️💙

49115290671_528ffa875c_b.jpg 49115290656_ab7cdd9854_b.jpg

All this then got a top coat of Tamiya ts13 and was left to dry.

a flory was was then added. 
great on the dark bits.

49115433112_f57abecb5e_b.jpg

And dark dirt on the white bits.

49115147671_079504d8b7_b.jpg

This was then left to dry. Ohhh I put the little stickers on first this time. 
I have found that removing the Flory with a rough thumb gives the best result as it looks like rough ware. Combined with the paint technique that I’m doing I’m really happy with the look. 

49115437897_d91fe91103_b.jpg

Asher l after a whole lot of rubbing here and there all the bits were done too a fashion.

49115341997_49e1e62aa1_b.jpg

these need to be assembled and considered before going in and removing more and moving on to other weather bits. Oil etc. ❤️
the dark and light work well.

49114755818_b7ec6825c5_b.jpg

And here we are.

49114755913_840ed3b3b3_b.jpg 49114755918_ed7abd8af3_b.jpg 49115450607_1b1df80ffb_b.jpg

the ware looks natural without too much madness I’ll go in later and add when it’s all together.

You can see the difference between painted and bare plastic here.

49115260631_308be3b442_b.jpg 49115260766_51c52e9c83_b.jpg

although the variation is subtle it’s what I’m after. 😇

The shoulder pads got a similar treatment.

49114644993_c96bff5f13_b.jpg 49115247866_c0874423db_b.jpg 49114645123_86efc1acd7_b.jpg

And red.

49115149041_e5b0b0cd54_b.jpg

I do like the way you don’t need to mask these things but my hankering for tinker modelling isn’t really being scratched. The kits are so good they just ..... well .... fit.

no need to problem solve like building a vintage airfix.  But this one was is all about new things and painting so I guess that’s what I’m getting. 😍😍😍

until  next time.

Thanks for dropping in and as always.

Happy modelling.

Johnny. 😇

• Like 8

Not Scorpions, but quite appropriate don't you think (but I don't know if you like Sabaton)

Or I could say your work is of a "Aces High" quality (if not Sabaton, Iron Maiden maybe?)

Edited by PattheCat
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That paint finish ticks the boxes for me. Less is more! 

Thanks. I think it works well. Still think I might add some filters and such. We shall see. 😇

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice one Johnny! :) 

Thanks Mr B. You should try one. You’d be finished in a week. 🤩

23 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Not Scorpions, but quite appropriate don't you think (but I don't know if you like Sabaton)

Or I could say your work is of a "Aces High" quality (if not Sabaton, Iron Maiden maybe?)

Thanks 🥰 I’d never heard of Sabaton but Iron Maiden I’m right there with you. 🤘

• Like 2

That's looking very nice!

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I’ve noticed that the WIP builds here on the sci-fi wing of Brit modeller are less granular especially on the Gundam builds.

Some but not all - check out Joergen's long-running Saturn V (OK not scifi, but it's the same forum!) or Nick's jetpacking explorer :)

W

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, f111guru said:

Great looking paint and weather.

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks Ron.

13 hours ago, Will Vale said:

That's looking very nice!

Some but not all - check out Joergen's long-running Saturn V (OK not scifi, but it's the same forum!) or Nick's jetpacking explorer :)

W

Ooh ok  sorry I didn’t mean any harm by saying that. I’ll check em out. I was especially talking about the mobile suit stuff. I just didn’t want my thread to seem boring it’s all. 😇. And thanks. 🙌

Sorry in turn, didn't mean any harm either, just that you might've missed some long-running gold :)

FWIW I really like seeing long threads with step-by-step progress, although I'm not always the best at documenting all the steps myself. If I'm on a roll with something it can be distracting to get the camera out, if you see what I mean?

W

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Sorry in turn, didn't mean any harm either, just that you might've missed some long-running gold :)

FWIW I really like seeing long threads with step-by-step progress, although I'm not always the best at documenting all the steps myself. If I'm on a roll with something it can be distracting to get the camera out, if you see what I mean?

W

No worries. I’ve just had a flick through some of your builds. Lovely stuff, really really great work.  Your Build process and documentation is a joy to the eye and the photos are stunning akin to@Andy Moore. (Bloody love his stuff too )

I simply like to see warts and all some times so I can get under the skin of how things are done.  😇😇🙌🙌

Johnny. 

just looked at the Saturn V thread. Wowza, see what you mean. That’s a long time and a lot of work. Wonderful. 🤩

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

Hello again Spad !!

Sabaton is a great one too, Let's say Iron Maiden with a dose of Rammstein !! I really enjoy it !!

Do not look the Bismarck's clip unless the next kit will be a battleship !!! 

Great job on the Gundam, I'm on your heels !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hi Johnny, 

I just had a read through the thread and it's all looking rather splendid to me my friend, a shame the first shading didn't work out the way you had hoped but sometimes its nothing ventured nothing gained in this model building game so fair do's for giving it as bash and it's these kind of experiments that have led me to new techniques and effects. I'm still a relative newb to these robot kits but I do enjoy the ease of the build and no glue means I can't get tamiya extra. thin fingerprints all over the place lol.

I do like the dirt/grime effect you have achieved with the Flory wash and the colour of the dark dirt looks very nice on the white and I will be dropping by more regularly to keep track of your progress. in regards to your comment regarding lack of step by step on some of the sci-fi threads, for me  it's down to the Photobucket changes a while ago as that wiped out a few years of my stuff online and I went back and repaired some WIP threads after hosting my images on Flickr , but then Flickr changed their terms of service and reduced the amount of pics allowed with a free account from 1tb to 1000 images max ( I had over 6000 on there ) this really took the jam out of my donut to be honest and since then I haven't been posting anywhere near as often and my WIP threads aren't as involved as they used to be, I could have got a paid account the but with the way images hosting has been going I wasn't confident that down the line terms would change again and prices may rise to point that was more than I wanted to pay or image limits got reduced again but when I best update my Gundam thread I'll try and show a bit more of how I achieved some of the effects that I used 

keep up the good work mate and I look forward to seeing more progress on this one 

Pete

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2019 at 10:02 PM, Brundledonk said:

hi Johnny, 

I just had a read through the thread and it's all looking rather splendid to me my friend, a shame the first shading didn't work out the way you had hoped but sometimes its nothing ventured nothing gained in this model building game so fair do's for giving it as bash and it's these kind of experiments that have led me to new techniques and effects. I'm still a relative newb to these robot kits but I do enjoy the ease of the build and no glue means I can't get tamiya extra. thin fingerprints all over the place lol.

I do like the dirt/grime effect you have achieved with the Flory wash and the colour of the dark dirt looks very nice on the white and I will be dropping by more regularly to keep track of your progress. in regards to your comment regarding lack of step by step on some of the sci-fi threads, for me  it's down to the Photobucket changes a while ago as that wiped out a few years of my stuff online and I went back and repaired some WIP threads after hosting my images on Flickr , but then Flickr changed their terms of service and reduced the amount of pics allowed with a free account from 1tb to 1000 images max ( I had over 6000 on there ) this really took the jam out of my donut to be honest and since then I haven't been posting anywhere near as often and my WIP threads aren't as involved as they used to be, I could have got a paid account the but with the way images hosting has been going I wasn't confident that down the line terms would change again and prices may rise to point that was more than I wanted to pay or image limits got reduced again but when I best update my Gundam thread I'll try and show a bit more of how I achieved some of the effects that I used 

keep up the good work mate and I look forward to seeing more progress on this one 

Pete

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I do love a bit of Flory, it’s great stuff. I know what you mean about PhotoBucket. My modelling got so intrinsically linked with posting on here that the two are now inseparable. It feels like sharing has become part of the whole model making experience.  I thing @CedB made a great point of calling there price you pay for photo hosting is just another modelling tool. So forty pounds a year isn’t so bad really for all the fun you have while doing it. I had to convert two years worth of builds over from PB to Flickr then when they asked me to pay I nearly lost it but thinking about it as a modelling tool made the cost with while. 
Such another busy week for me. I have had a bit more bench time here and there. I’ll post up on Saturday fingers crossed.

Johnny.

• Like 1

Good evening all. I have eventually managed to scrape my weary bones to the bench for a short while. 
I got some priming and some painting down so quite good progress. 
first the second leg got sprayed.

49196403427_7f0b92f66a_b.jpg

I dismantled the torso section and painted the main frame rubber black.

49196403372_1647222f06_b.jpg

The skirt and pelvis also got a shot.

49196205551_ff83c78b57_b.jpg

All the leg armour had been given a pre shade a day or two ago.

49195704933_9ed9fc3a64_b.jpg

This then got a blast of off white.

49196205531_d2c62b5299_b.jpg

I’m liking the look of that. I think it would look good clean or dirty, either way I’m sticking with the Flory for now.

49195704898_c87cfc6f40_b.jpg

The main torso got a prime.

49196205536_bec8cc9d38_b.jpg

Ooooh I like that bit. 🤗

as did the rest of the mid section.

49196403447_a591146e2c_b.jpg

And that as they say is it for tonight. 
short and sweet. Seems to be the order of the day lately.  Any hoo. Hope you are enjoying the build. Take care and as always. Happy modelling chums.

Johnny. 🙌

• Like 7

Looking great, these are great kits, have you decided what colours you'll do?

Built my first Gundam this year, they're fabulous kits, though I didn't paint mine, I will be de-assembling (didn't glue either) and 'starting anew' I also bought a load of old cheapies at Telford for a bit of practice.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Yep, it`s that time of the year again, busy , busy.

Looks from here that she is coming along sweetly Johnny.

Simon.

Tell me about it. I haven’t stopped. 🙈🎄🎄🎄🎄

2 hours ago, Mutley said:

Looking great, these are great kits, have you decided what colours you'll do?

Built my first Gundam this year, they're fabulous kits, though I didn't paint mine, I will be de-assembling (didn't glue either) and 'starting anew' I also bought a load of old cheapies at Telford for a bit of practice.

Thanks.
I’m planing on doing the colours it is but with a worm look. I had never planned on leaving it bare, I do think they look better painted. I know it sounds weird but I’m missing the fiddling you have to do with Aeroplanes. 🤣 madness I tells ya.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

That's is all manner of wrong!  But agree Gundam look better painted. When you know they are just going to fit together it makes kit bashing great fun. 

I know. It sounds bonkers and I can’t quite put my finger on it but I do miss it. Still having fun mind. 🤩

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Whhhhoooo it’s been a while. No modelling for me as life and Christmas has taken its toll. After reading a post by the legendary @TonyTiger66 this morning I realised how lucky I was to have my grotto and my health. This has spurred me on to get this finished and move onto something with wings. I’m still enjoying this kit but I’ve found I enjoy learning about the things in building whilst building. With this kit there is no history as such. Fun as it is it’s not the same for me. My next sci fi builds I have more connection with so maybe I’ll have more passion. Either way I’m not going out without a fight. Hopefully I’m going to do this one proud.  I’m planning on getting this finished before I go back to work. (we shall see) any Hoo more this morning.

49278127091_426dc768d1_b.jpg

The other leg and.

49277654658_e55885d95a_b.jpg

The body got a Flory wash off grey, ready for the panels. 🤩 be careful though s as I snapped the “o” ring while knocking back the flory. Seen in the top right. I popped some TET in there but afraid that the arm would be stuck I dismantled it.

49278127021_b7d0258da1_b.jpg

I’ll let that cure before red assembling.

The rear of the shield got a wash.

49278127071_32c1854814_b.jpg

as did the knee bend section.

49277654468_580fc7ca79_b.jpg

this got assembled so I don’t get it wrong later on. 😇

The panels got a wash and I began fitting.

49278329632_59aaf06d3a_b.jpg

Ta daa. You can see by my grotty fingers that my hand and finger tips are my Flory remover of choice. 🤣

49278329627_c9368dd3b7_b.jpg

Then attached to the pelvis.

49278127266_bc93bcfde2_b.jpg 49278127086_72533f7829_b.jpg

I need to do a bit more knocking back before I top coat.😍

The bits are really piling up now.

49277654503_967103e4d7_b.jpg

I have these bits pre shaded and some wing parts to assemble.

49278329822_e197988814_b.jpg

I have the whole day to myself tomorrow so I’ll try and get lots done.

Hope you all had a great Christmas.

Take care and as always chums.

Happy modelling.

Johnny. ❤️

• Like 6