Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

The Spadgent

“What is this madness?” It’s a Freedom Gundam MG 1/100 by Bandai WIP

Recommended Posts

Hello and welcome.

 

This area of Britmodeller is new ground to me I have been stalking a few builds over here recently looking for inspiration on building Gundam suits. (Excuse me if my terminology is a bit off I’m new to these kits). I’m finding some good WIP builds but nothing that goes through step by step like what I’m used to on the other side, mainly it’s finished kits or finished parts, not a bad thing but I was looking for a WIP that might help me build THIS. 😍. I was gifted this lovely looking kit by a work friend on my birthday in April who has far too many in the stash.

49008612481_8e5407f37e_b.jpg

I decided that this would be my next build and I’d do the WIP exactly how I do them for my other kits.  It’ll be a bit photo heavy and I’ll be learning on the job. I’ve gleaned some info about how these kits go together and they seem a lot different to your regular Airfix our Tamiya kit but we shall see.🤩 I’m planing on doing a nice amount of weathering on this but I’m not sure how you go about building and painting. Folk seem to build first and paint together (alien to me) or paint in chunks frame them armour?
Oh I don’t know but I do know it’ll be fun🥳 so here goes let’s open the box....

I’d be honoured if some of you guys would follow along and help me out if I’m headed in the wrong direction. Here goes....

49008079168_240df921e9_b.jpg

Okey so lid off and I get another lid?

 Nice pic though. 😍

woah!!! There’s a lot in the box.

49008822947_c6d4f37366_b.jpg

I love the feel of this crisp Bandai plastic and the cool multi coloured trees are sublime. 🥰

49008612411_01ca5f53de_b.jpg 49008821772_4946855dcd_b.jpg

loads of bits and my first stumble block.

49008078888_8339b2ca81_b.jpg

I don’t know why I expected the instructions to be in English but what with Tamiya kits and the like you never know. So  even still how hard can it be eh. 🤪

49008822992_ae8e2e8b4d_b.jpg

just like Ikea. 😩

Looky that molding 🤩🤩 so crisp.

49008611076_8446bbe678_b.jpg

I do have these too. 

49008612071_3087becd67_b.jpg

 I’m used to water slide decals and these things are?? Stickers and what looks like those run on transfers?? What is this cRaZy? 🤪🤪🤪 right one with both feet.

49008821547_2f25c7cc55_b.jpg

The first few steps sees lots of putting together and no glue? Oh my, I just don’t get it. 😳 strangely addictive though.

sanding off the nub ( there’s no flash to speak of ) bits is great as the plastic is so nice. It does really scratch the plastic though. 
I got around this by smoothing off the rough bits with Tamiya extra thin. 

49008610851_fe9d194788_b.jpg

 

this part was rough as a badgers Harris but with TET it looks great. I’ll be priming and painting any how but how I don’t know yet.

Quick as you like all the chest parts came together.

49008822342_b9bf073815_b.jpg

I guess after each section gets put together I can see what needs painting then I can dismantle and paint accordingly.

 It’s this the usual procedure with these kits?

What slightly rough bits there were I sorted out with TET. Looking sassy.

49008821442_eb77c60786_b.jpg

And you can see how the TET has worked it’s magic in this shot.

49008611716_9fde60e05b_b.jpg

Even though it’s freaking me out that I’m not gluing any of this together yet I’m loving that all the seams are in logical places. Like here on the head.

49008822097_b5093d671f_b.jpg

Oh man this is ace!!!

The instructions (I think) ask for stickers to be put on the eyes... screw that. 🧐

I’ll paint ‘em .... probably.. 🤩🥳

So here we are.

49008821362_8d4011669e_b.jpg

Looking good. I’m really loving this so far even though it’s totally alien to me.  
Thanks for looking in hopefully it’s not too boring and if she turns out well others might be able to use this as a good reference point. 😇

Take care and any comments are welcome.

 Happy modelling.

 

Johnny. 😃

Edited by The Spadgent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I guess after each section gets put together I can see what needs painting then I can dismantle and paint accordingly.

 It’s this the usual procedure with these kits?

Yep looks like your going about it the way I would, a tip would be to cut the male pegs down a bit as some can be very different to take apart again and you can get water decals for the kit from eday. They look so much better than the stickers and those rub on transfers are a nightmare ( we'll I think they are). 

 

Picture of what I do to the pegs, male pegs at the front of the picture have been trimmed down across the diagonal from the top. 

 

IMG-20191104-075717.jpg

Edited by rockpopandchips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Yep looks like your going about it the way I would, a tip would be to cut the male pegs down a bit as some can be very different to take apart again and you can get water decals for the kit from eday. They look so much better than the stickers and those rub on transfers are a nightmare ( we'll I think they are). 

 

Picture of what I do to the pegs, male pegs at the front of the picture have been trimmed down across the diagonal from the top. 

 

IMG-20191104-075717.jpg

Thanks for the hints. I’ll try that out but at the moment the pegs seem ok. I’ll change my mind when they get stuck. 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hya. 
A little more tonight.

These kits go together really well, they kind of remind me of when I had ZOIDS as a kid. I must get those from my parents. I could paint them up. 🤔

many way we have arms.

49015535086_b6136d00a9_b.jpg

love the way they just..... fit.  The no glue thing is still playing with my mojo but I’ll run with it. I bloody love the articulation too. 🥰🥰 the hands are next. With gripping action.

49015739327_88140a7e7b_b.jpg

madness and brilliance. Love it.  Here’s where I ended up tonight. Massive shoulder pads. 🤣

49015012338_58c300ef13_b.jpg

I’m so looking forward to paint. I might stop construction at the arms? But then again I might just rock the legs out and hit the body in one and then leave the weapons and wings until last. 
any Hoo. Enjoy the build. See y’all soon.

happy modelling chums.

 

Johnny.🤖

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how come BanDai can produce really crisp mouldings and superbly engineered kits for a reasonable price? their Star Wars kits are really good and this looks half decent as well

 

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I will sit in on this one Johnny.

Our local shop gets them occasionally and wondered how they went together.

 

🍔🍔

 

Simon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A subject I usually have no interest in. But, hey, here comes the Spadgent, so I'll take a seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shortCummins said:

how come BanDai can produce really crisp mouldings and superbly engineered kits for a reasonable price? their Star Wars kits are really good and this looks half decent as well

 

rgds

John(shortCummins)

This particular kit is quite old for a Gundam kit but it still quite a good kit in its own right but some of the newer stuff from the Gundam Universe are like works of engineering marvels in plastic. I would recommend anyone to have go at any of the 1/144 RG or 1/100 MG lines from the last 2 or 3 years, there are also quite a few Outstanding 1/144 HG kits the Zaku origin kit or GM Guard type kit are but two. 

 

If you want to take a look at a few, this site is well put together. 

 

http://www.gaijin-gunpla.com/category/kit-reviews/

 

Edited by rockpopandchips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 5:47 PM, shortCummins said:

how come BanDai can produce really crisp mouldings and superbly engineered kits for a reasonable price? their Star Wars kits are really good and this looks half decent as well

 

rgds

John(shortCummins)

I know. They are really good. Totally different type of model making compared to what I’m used to. Almost no clean up or fit issues. 🧐🤨😎

On 11/5/2019 at 7:39 PM, Spookytooth said:

I think I will sit in on this one Johnny.

Our local shop gets them occasionally and wondered how they went together.

 

🍔🍔

 

Simon.

Thanks Simon . Glad to have you on board. It’s an odd dealing not having to make these things fit. And I have no idea how the paint will turn out. It’ll be fun though. 😇

On 11/5/2019 at 9:07 PM, PattheCat said:

A subject I usually have no interest in. But, hey, here comes the Spadgent, so I'll take a seat.

Thanks. Glad to have you on board. 😃

22 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

This particular kit is quite old for a Gundam kit but it still quite a good kit in its own right but some of the newer stuff from the Gundam Universe are like works of engineering marvels in plastic. I would recommend anyone to have go at any of the 1/144 RG or 1/100 MG lines from the last 2 or 3 years, there are also quite a few Outstanding 1/144 HG kits the Zaku origin kit or GM Guard type kit are but two. 

 

If you want to take a look at a few, this site is well put together. 

 

http://www.gaijin-gunpla.com/category/kit-reviews/

 

Thanks for the info. I’ll take a look. 😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny,

I'll pull up a chair with the others and grab a snack or two to watch. I'm an avid space cadet. Many many years ago I build the first run of the Apollo mission on a full Saturn 5 rocket from Revell. Also did the Redstone Mercury 7 and launch pad from Revell. My parents thought I was goofier than a loon.

 

Doing a splendid job on the start. Know absolutely nothing about these characters.

 

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good so far as they say.

I've never been interested in Gundam (tho' I sell tons of the things) but I really admire the engineering that goes into these monsters.

 

Still, I think I'll be watching your build just to learn a bit more.

 

Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oo the original Freedom and not that horrible Strike-Freedom. This reminds me that I need to finish off my Crossbone. Here's a fact that some Gundam fans might or might not know. Unlike the Gundams in Universal Century that are called Gundams because of the armour they use. The mecha in SeeD (CE) aren't actually called Gundams, but Kira Yamato (Pilot of Freedom and Strike) calls it as such because of the Operating System inside of Strike then calls the Freedom  Gundam it in front of Lacus Klein when they are escaping from ZAFT and Lacus corrects Kira but agrees that Gundam does sound stronger... Bit of geeky information there. 

 

I only build the HG kits personally, as that is my preferred scale (plus you can't get the Hazel kits in MG). I personally build the kit up first, plan how to paint it then take it apart and paint with all the cleaning up in between if needed and change the plan about 15 different times along the way.

 

I'll agree with Rock though, those stickers and rub on transfers aren't the best. You can get waterslide decals on eBay or other Gunpla stores.

 

I'll be keeping an eye on this build. Be interesting to see what you make of it. :)

 

Kind Regards,

 

Dazz

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 1:15 AM, f111guru said:

Johnny,

I'll pull up a chair with the others and grab a snack or two to watch. I'm an avid space cadet. Many many years ago I build the first run of the Apollo mission on a full Saturn 5 rocket from Revell. Also did the Redstone Mercury 7 and launch pad from Revell. My parents thought I was goofier than a loon.

 

Doing a splendid job on the start. Know absolutely nothing about these characters.

 

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks Ron. I’m right there with ya. I’m new to these two. Great fun though. 😍

On 11/7/2019 at 11:22 PM, Tzulscha said:

Looks good so far as they say.

I've never been interested in Gundam (tho' I sell tons of the things) but I really admire the engineering that goes into these monsters.

 

Still, I think I'll be watching your build just to learn a bit more.

 

Have fun!

Thanks. I thought I might learn as I go, like with my other kits but to be fair i’m learning very little about what this thing is. More about how the kit works really.  

On 11/9/2019 at 12:13 PM, Dazzio said:

Oo the original Freedom and not that horrible Strike-Freedom. This reminds me that I need to finish off my Crossbone. Here's a fact that some Gundam fans might or might not know. Unlike the Gundams in Universal Century that are called Gundams because of the armour they use. The mecha in SeeD (CE) aren't actually called Gundams, but Kira Yamato (Pilot of Freedom and Strike) calls it as such because of the Operating System inside of Strike then calls the Freedom  Gundam it in front of Lacus Klein when they are escaping from ZAFT and Lacus corrects Kira but agrees that Gundam does sound stronger... Bit of geeky information there. 

 

I only build the HG kits personally, as that is my preferred scale (plus you can't get the Hazel kits in MG). I personally build the kit up first, plan how to paint it then take it apart and paint with all the cleaning up in between if needed and change the plan about 15 different times along the way.

 

I'll agree with Rock though, those stickers and rub on transfers aren't the best. You can get waterslide decals on eBay or other Gunpla stores.

 

I'll be keeping an eye on this build. Be interesting to see what you make of it. :)

 

Kind Regards,

 

Dazz

 

ha! Now I’m learning a little more. Still A little in the dark but as I said she’s a fun build for sure. More progress was made today. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys. 
More progress on the big guy while every one is having fun in Telford. 🤔

One Thing I have learned about these kits is that it’s all crazy backwards ( you build it all then take it apart to paint ) and they go together damn quick. It’s like your regular @CedB build, blink and it’s built. 😇🤣

 

The other arm got built and attached.

49044642947_6a50bca32b_b.jpg

ooh looks sexy. 🥰

The crazy and different thing about these kits is that you can move them like an action figure, actually better than my old Star Wars figures back in the 80s. 🙃

look.

49044643012_146a82c43f_b.jpg

”Ahh, ahh,ahh,ahh stayin’ alive” 😂

Great fun.

right head on me thinks.

49044652521_8008f16997_b.jpg

that’s better. 🤩
Another thing is you might think that because there isn’t any glue. None at all. 😳 the kits are indestructible and can be man handled quite a bit. Wrong.

49044643457_4da1dbbb09_b.jpg

😫😭 I broke the foot. Nothing terrible as there is still enough peg to attach the boots together but a close call.

here they are attached.

49044432641_a6de85a871_b.jpg

Basically it’s a bit like Lego. The only thing I can compare building one of these kits to is when I was a kid there were “ZOIDS” kind of clockwork robot things that came as kits. Brilliant things but totally different to Airfix.  You get these bits.

49044432696_ae2e8be092_b.jpg

Push them together after a small amount of clean up to get here.

49043929348_400bc709d1_b.jpg

Then add the armour plates.

49044642997_08aaf1e5f5_b.jpg

 these things bend too, it’s crazy compared to Aeroplanes.

49044432121_e0f7787df7_b.jpg

Then all of a sudden “POP!” You have a leg.

49044642882_4763af5163_b.jpg

rinse and repeat and you have two.

49044642937_8a263d0593_b.jpg

Rocketing along!

mid section begin.

49044866332_084653cf76_b.jpg

Cut and clean.

49044653246_7d93b30026_b.jpg

and Ping together.

49044652456_03897b6ee9_b.jpg 49044151578_e692aa19c6_b.jpg

The only thing I can’t get my head around is having to put this together. Take it apart to paint them out it together again. I’m sure you don’t need to do this but it feels like what you should do and it seems what it’s done by everyone that builds these?

before I’m off page one we have this.

49044652496_62fc922106_b.jpg 49044150823_425bcdcb01_b.jpg

lovely to look at. 🥰

 there are a bunch of weapons and wings and things but honestly I’m getting a bit freaked that I haven’t or at least it doesn’t feel like I’ve done any modelling so I’m going to stop these bits.

49044652466_148196734c_b.jpg

here and get the air brush ready.

I’ll start with the arms. I removed the armour and started with the main skeleton.

49043929653_d14b1c28c2_b.jpg

vallejo black primer. I did have some vallejo thinners, that’s the best thing about modelling you never know what tools you might h have in stock. 😂🤣

different time Tamiya as 1-2 drops per 20 drops of paint. Any hoo it went on well.

49044150808_836db0a233_b.jpg 49044865892_926f2bdaa3_b.jpg

I felt the urge to do something different with the armour but I think I’ll grey prime it then pre shade high and low and top coat. Hmmmm in for a penny eh. 🤞

49044642922_3773685e7f_b.jpg

both primers have hit the plastic well. I had to finish here but I’m looking forward to the next few steps.

thanks for tagging along even if it’s outside of your comfort zone, trust me you’re not the only one. 🤪

Hope Everyone has a lovely time in Telford and as always.... until next time.

Happy Modelling.

 

Johnny. 🤖

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good there Johnny.  If I'm honest, everyone has their own way of making these kits. I know that some modellers better than I will put paint to model before it's been assembled. I prefer to assemble it first then paint as I can spot any pitfuls that may need looking at. It also means I can look at bits you won't see and thus won't need to paint - yes I'm a lazy git! Lol

 

Keep at it, the Freedom is looking good. :)

 

 

Kind Regards,

 

Dazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically you first build, then disassemble such a kit for painting. Very different of aircraft and armor modelling, indeed.

Nice job. Which metallic paints do you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 9:45 PM, Dazzio said:

Looking good there Johnny.  If I'm honest, everyone has their own way of making these kits. I know that some modellers better than I will put paint to model before it's been assembled. I prefer to assemble it first then paint as I can spot any pitfuls that may need looking at. It also means I can look at bits you won't see and thus won't need to paint - yes I'm a lazy git! Lol

 

Keep at it, the Freedom is looking good. :)

 

 

Kind Regards,

 

Dazz

Thanks Dazz. 🤗

On 11/11/2019 at 1:45 AM, PattheCat said:

So basically you first build, then disassemble such a kit for painting. Very different of aircraft and armor modelling, indeed.

Nice job. Which metallic paints do you use?

That’s what I’m doing. 😱 personally I use vallejo metallics. 🤩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys. 
So a few miss steps over the past day or two. 😔

I started by post shading.

49056166996_b676e9f4e8_b.jpg

but I decided to do it backwards to what I usually do and in blue.

Then I added white.

49055655188_7531367ceb_b.jpg

then I mixed up some off white.

One coat.

49055655183_c27f0de97b_b.jpg

not bad. So I hit it with more.

49055655158_6295686e18_b.jpg

I also added some great to the skeleton parts.

I’m not sure about the backward pre shade. Dark in the middles. 🤔🤔

49055627293_c150952ab3_b.jpg

Not bad I guess so I gloss coated ready for chipping.

49056166986_e4aed00493_b.jpg

I tried painted chips but they are just too heavy and not what I’m after. 😔

49060966407_de8e104d8c_b.jpg

It’s a mixture of the wrong shading and me just not feeling it. 
I decided to have a boot off a test with the other arm and use some Flory. (Familiar ground for me) 

49060966377_4aeab99247_b.jpg

I used brown which wasn’t the best idea in the world and the shade is bobbins but I think I know where I want to go. I have stripped back the armour and re primed.

The skeleton has been floried with grey too and left to dry. I’ll pee shade again with the correct method and start again. 🤪🥳🤓

I’ll get some more done soon.

Thanks for dropping by. All the best and as always.

Happy modelling.

 

Johnny. 🤩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 7:44 PM, rockpopandchips said:

You have to try these things but I'm with you on the shading, normal way around is best. I do like the colours though. 

Thanks. I think you’re right. 🦠🔬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening fellow modellers. I have an update on the Gundam. 🙌

All the armour pieces got a re spray off primer and a black pe shade. Then a white mix on top. 

49085848918_e2323e5cbd_b.jpg

 better. 🤩

Then the whole lot got a Flory wash. “Dark dirt”

49086579342_d42d6dd7c2_b.jpg

I did a matt coat on the inner frame and primed the shoulders.

49085851413_2c5f408eb0_b.jpg

To be fair I’m not taking everything apart. Just the bits I need to.

49086353441_787a12e6a4_b.jpg

 after the Flory has dried I rubbed down with a bud.

And that got us here.

49085848338_aea57a4773_b.jpg

I‘m much more happy with that. 🥰 I’ll let it settle before I top coat. Just thought I need to check where the decals go to before I get any further.

In between the metal suit we went to see Tim Minchin. Wonderful evening out. 😀

49085838683_a17df67da9_b.jpg

Making some cashew Blue cheese. 

49085840338_d334ed2258_b.jpg

 

49086580642_9d6d0c5c4b_b.jpg

5 weeks to go. 😋😍 and a spit of foil flinging. 😇 🤺

49086366666_7fccd41e39_b.jpg

I’m off to get the middle part or maybe the legs done. 
hope you’re enjoying the build. I know it’s an odd approach but it’s fun non the less.

happy modelling gents.

until next time. 
 

Johnny.

🏋️

 

Edited by The Spadgent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little more done. 🥊

49086595533_2fbc78f821_b.jpg

I used some of the stickers. I’ll put them on before flory from now on. 🤭 the leg and shoulders got a pre shade too.

49087103431_54923e261f_b.jpg

I’ll do one at a time as there will be too many things on sticks. 😱

 

right. Bed.

 

see y’all soon.

 

Johnny. 🥳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here for a bit of support Johnny - looking good under your usual artistic attention :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CedB said:

Here for a bit of support Johnny - looking good under your usual artistic attention :) 

Thanks Mr B. I need all the help I can get. 🤩 great to have you over on the other side. 🥳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your definitely giving it the "Johnny" touch sir.

Looking rather good mate.

 

Simon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...