Revell Rafale 1:48 French OTB

So far i've built a 144th scale and 2 of the 72nd scale 

This happens to be my 4th overall build ever...First of 48th Scale ...and am still learning... :D

I went for the #32 French Rafale M instructions from the box 

Since I have to use locally sourced resources...like student/fabric acrylic colours instead of pro grade airbrush paints, I had to experiment a looooooot

right from making DIY thinner to using inks for transparent parts to using clear epoxy glue as glass on GBU sensor tips 

I also had to learn how to use soft pastels as weathering powder...that was fun 😅

It's mostly OTB, but I call the build custom ...because the reffernce of #32 rafale m was clean and I wanted to throw in as many learning opportunities in this build as I could... that includes some differently coloured panels (which also serve as excuse to cover up scratches i accidentally caused 😜 )

The cockpit has mostly a standard build because I wanted a closed canopy but added some scratch-built details on the Seat like belts and pipes, mirrors on canopy etc (see build log image)

Added some wires and stuff to landing gear detail

Obviously there are mistakes and errors ..tons of them...some mine...some resource limitations...and some revell's doing (Light on the right is supposed to be green but the instructions said blue...and i was sleepy :whistle: )... 

Colours are all mixed from standard Six pack of student acrylic colours so i'll take creative freedom on colour accuracy :D but tried my best 

Rafale M 1d (2) 

Rafale M 1d (5)

Rafale M 1d (6)

Rafale M 1d (11)

Rafale M 1d (15)

Rafale M 1d (17)

Rafale M 1d (4)

Rafale M 1w (7)

Rafale M 1w (11)

Weaponology IMG_6638

Build Log

Find my Full Album (45 images) on Flickr Here ---> 

Rafale M (France)

Edited by Dec0da
  • Like 39

Very nicely done Rafale. And for a 4th ever build it is exceptional! The finish looks pretty good too especially when you have used basic acrylic paints - the only thing I would say is that it is a little too dark but that may be the photography.

Very well done!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dbay133 said:

Stunning work for your 4th build.  Love the paint finish and the weathering, especially as you have used non standard paints.

Cheers

Graeme

3 hours ago, Baldy said:

Very nicely done Rafale. And for a 4th ever build it is exceptional! The finish looks pretty good too especially when you have used basic acrylic paints - the only thing I would say is that it is a little too dark but that may be the photography.

Very well done!

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks guys and yes the colour is one shade too dark...only noticed it when half the decals were done and some minor decals started blending in too much :P 

I have made those check points for future builds ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Made a simple Base for this one....

VzFb99EN_o.jpg 

B2MHaB2J_o.jpg 

ucLYHrnQ_o.jpg 

GfIlhd7e_o.jpg 

qsaSmjKl_o.jpg 

Scratch Built the Tug

Pilot, Crew are Hand sculpted!!

You can see the sculpting log here :

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 8:12 PM, exdraken said:

Very nice, dirty and well armed!

Wingtip IR Micas would be nice as well, but I know, Revell does only one pair :(

Actually...I saved a pair of those for the next version I'll make some day ;) 

Thanks for the appreciation!!... 

• Like 1