MENG 1/72 scale F-102A (Case XX)

On 8/12/2020 at 4:34 PM, Retired Bob said:

Hey Nikolay, who knew that Flankers were painted in ADC grey, but it's the same FS number. :winkgrin:

Filling the panels using Vallejo plastic putty is very easy, just spread it on and wipe it off with a damp cloth before it dries.  A smooth, shiny finish is what is required,  but perhaps not this shiny. :yikes:

F-102 6515

Where was this pictures taken?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Hello Quang, thank you! 😉

It would be interesting to see your Demon’s WIP here. And what about the Talon?! There’s no updates on the thread since the last year...

Actually, I’m lacking the mojo on the MENG’s Deuce and now I just want to finish the build.

The Talon is finished long ago and I’ve also completed a few more builds since.

Getting back to the F-102 subject, I unearthed my old Meng Case X after I read your post. The accompanying aftermarket items reveal that I initially planned to do a Calif ANG in silver scheme just like on the photo at the beginning of your thread. I even bought an ancient Microscale decals (with the correct USAF in insignia blue) for it. 
Anyhow I’m too far into the Demon to go back and start the Deuce. But will follow your build with much interest.

Cheers,

Quang

• Like 2

4 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Where was this pictures taken?

I "borrowed" it from the Flicker site,  if you double click the picture it will take you there.  The photo was taken at the McChord Heritage Museum, WA.  Looks like an interesting museum to visit when the world gets back to some sort of normality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2020 at 3:56 AM, Retired Bob said:

I "borrowed" it from the Flicker site,  if you double click the picture it will take you there.  The photo was taken at the McChord Heritage Museum, WA.  Looks like an interesting museum to visit when the world gets back to some sort of normality.

Was wondering because of the Cdn Voodoo. The three sure look good together. Looks like they take care of the 1oh2.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Was wondering because of the Cdn Voodoo. The three sure look good together. Looks like they take care of the 1oh2.

Yes. It’s unfortunately rare to see an outdoor museum bird looking so good.

• Like 2

On 14/08/2020 at 11:29, quangster said:

Getting back to the F-102 subject, I unearthed my old Meng Case X after I read your post. The accompanying aftermarket items reveal that I initially planned to do a Calif ANG in silver scheme just like on the photo at the beginning of your thread. I even bought an ancient Microscale decals (with the correct USAF in insignia blue) for it.

It would be interesting to see your build, Quang. Yes, these incorrect USAF markings are here and there...

On 14/08/2020 at 11:29, quangster said:

Anyhow I’m too far into the Demon to go back and start the Deuce. But will follow your build with much interest.

Good luck with your build and welcome to mine! 🤝

5 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

5 hours ago, billn53 said:

Yes. It’s unfortunately rare to see an outdoor museum bird looking so good.

The photos were taken in 2009, it would be nice if they were still in such a good condition now.  Reading the museum info they have a pretty dedicated team there so hopefully they are still nice and shiny.

• Like 2

On 14/08/2020 at 09:29, quangster said:

Hi Quang, I have quite a few of those old Microscale decal sheets from the 70s, I bought them while they were new, I did use some last year and they worked perfectly, only problem was there are quite a few inaccuracies (no internet back then) and the printing was not so good as today, I had a lot of missing edges to the numbers and lettering.  I have bought Fundekal sets of stencils and national markings for my six Meng F-102s and my three F-106s.  Gotta love a delta. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Quang, I have quite a few of those old Microscale decal sheets from the 70s, I bought them while they were new, I did use some last year and they worked perfectly, only problem was there are quite a few inaccuracies (no internet back then) and the printing was not so good as today, I had a lot of missing edges to the numbers and lettering.  I have bought Fundekal sets of stencils and national markings for my six Meng F-102s and my three F-106s.  Gotta love a delta. :winkgrin:

Aaah Bob! The inaccuracies and the misprints go on par with the discolored, fuzzy Kodakchrome 25 copies we used for documentation at the time. Sometimes the current modern kit technology just put me off. Everything’s so crisp and precise nowadays. You can even read the text on 1/72 stencils (with the correct font).
I’d say forget the digital and bring back the fuzz! 🤪

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quangster
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It would be interesting to see your build, Quang. Yes, these incorrect USAF markings are here and there...

Now I’m asking myself if I should have bought the case XX instead. Just go ask an ice-cream lover if he’d prefer vanilla or chocolate.🤔

• Haha 1

I thought I felt a disturbance in the Force! CCFFU didn't give me his usual heads-up, so I will look over his or Martin's shoulder and take notes, as I have both Meng Deuces and two Hasegawa kits, as well. That silver lacquer scheme is the bee's knees- going to have to keep that one in mind, as I think it's prettier than the SEA scheme. True Details makes a very nice resin set for the F-102, and they are pretty reasonably priced. Hoping you and yours are safe, Nikolay!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I have bought Fundekal sets of stencils and national markings for my six Meng F-102s and my three F-106s.  Gotta love a delta. :winkgrin:

Nine Deltas... 😜 I’d like to bought a vinyls more than once, too! 😹

7 hours ago, quangster said:

Sometimes the current modern kit technology just put me off. Everything’s so crisp and precise nowadays.

And I love it sometimes, in opposition to the modern music.

You can even read the text on 1/72 stencils (with the correct font). I’d say forget the digital and bring back the fuzz! 🤪

Luckily, it’s not about the Kitty Hawk and their well-known 1/48 stencils for Voodoos... 🙃That’s why I still love an old kits in the modern boxings - how does the Revell do it.

Now I’m asking myself if I should have bought the case XX instead. Just go ask an ice-cream lover if he’d prefer vanilla or chocolate.🤔

And it would be great to have something different from the MENG, but I’m not sure about the Trumpeter kits. What you can say about them, Quang? 🤨

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That silver lacquer scheme is the bee's knees- going to have to keep that one in mind, as I think it's prettier than the SEA scheme.

These in Silver Lacquer looks unusual, but the SEA scheme isn’t so good for the Deuces. Anyway, I haven’t seen the completed F-102A kit in a silver. 😉

True Details makes a very nice resin set for the F-102, and they are pretty reasonably priced.

I’m agreeing with you, as I have some 1/48 stuff from True Details. They provide an excellent service and their products are top notch.

Hoping you and yours are safe, Nikolay!

Thank you Mike, all is well! 🤝

Many thanks for your interest and opinions, friends! I’m really appreciate it. Stay safe! 🙂

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello friends,

with the little help of Vallejo Plastic Putty elevons were attached:

50352274267_b465cd6963_k.jpg

And with some tweaking the fuselage underside now looks like this:

50352115676_b5c631cef4_k.jpg

Despite I’m in a process of applying the masks, the Deuce aren’t ready for the painting yet. Now I need to add an IR sensor along with UHF Blade Antenna and retractable red beacon, and finally decide which painting scheme to choose. I think it’ll be the silver Deuce of the 196th FIS of the California Air National Guard posted above.

Thanks for looking! 😉

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, giemme said:

That looks really neat now, Nikolay! :clap:

Thank you Giorgio! 🤝

13 minutes ago, giemme said:

Did you just use Vallejo putty to glue the elevons in, or was it complementary to some other kind of glue?

I glued them with a regular Mr.Cement S and fill the gaps with a Plastic Putty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, quangster said:

Such a tidy, crisp job! 👌

Thank you, Quang! 😉

31 minutes ago, quangster said:

Let’s see some colour now.

In preparation for a painting process I discovered that the Maskol becomes the one-piece gel in the bottle, so I spent some hours masking the clear parts with a masking tape... 😝 I hope you’ll see it soon! 👍

spacer.png

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Despite I’m in a process of applying the masks, the Deuce aren’t ready for the painting yet. Now I need to add an IR sensor along with UHF Blade Antenna and retractable red beacon, and finally decide which painting scheme to choose. I think it’ll be the silver Deuce of the 196th FIS of the California Air National Guard posted above.

Looking very nice, Nikolay. not all Deuces had the IR sensors, like the one in the photo, they always looked like a crystal ball to me. :whistle:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking very nice, Nikolay.

Thank you Bob! ☺️

22 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

not all Deuces had the IR sensors, like the one in the photo, they always looked like a crystal ball to me. :whistle:

Oops! I just noticed that the Deuce pictured above without an IR sensor... My reference is here, so it’ll be with the sensor.

Now I need to do something with a USAF ID numbers, because I haven’t had spare decals in 72nd scale.

Thanks for looking! 🙃

• Like 1

Hello, Britmodellers! 👋

The silver paint was applied on an aircraft and other small parts:

50384280628_f074f94ea1_k.jpg

As you can see from the image, the Data Link antennas already in its place:

50385159072_0f656552e5_k.jpg

Well, it’s time for a small polishing and subsequent painting work on the wing fences, radome, anti-glare panel, etc. Also I ordered the stencils from fündekals, because this decal sheet contains an USAF markings in Insignia Blue as it should be.

Happy modelling! 😸

• Like 7

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Excellent metallic coat, Nikolay! :clap:

Thank you, Giorgio! 🤝 Actually, it’s just a basic application of the Mr.HOBBY H8 Silver, even without a primer. Right now I’m masking the nose area and preparing for some painting work.

• Like 1

Hello gentlemen,

the Deuce was intensively masked for the future application of Steel color on an engine inlets and for painting the wing fences in Orange:

50400489247_34344075b3_k.jpg

Additionally, I finished the gear bay doors (the Silver overspray looks like a moderate weathering) and the speed brake:

50400489217_2dcc10e6ef_k.jpg

On some pictures the wing fences coloured from the red to an orange, so I decided to go in-between. Later application of the clear coat darkens the color a bit.

Also I promised @rob Lyttle to notice him when the build starts again... Sorry Rob! But it’s not finished yet. 😉

Thanks for looking! 😎

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1