MENG 1/72 scale F-102A (Case XX)

• 1 month later...

Pant-whew! Just now caught up with your build! I see @Corsairfoxfouruncle grabbed the best seat- again! Count me in, as the Deuce is my 2nd favorite USAF lawn dart after the F-106! I have both Meng kits, but can't decide if I want to do the Case X or XX version. Let the games begin!

Mike

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 00:35, rob Lyttle said:

Hope all is going well Nikolay!?!

Yes, but not with the Deuce... 😐

On 10/12/2019 at 00:35, rob Lyttle said:

It's all gone a bit quiet on the 102A project. 

👍

Just because... 😯

On 10/12/2019 at 07:03, 72modeler said:

I see @Corsairfoxfouruncle grabbed the best seat- again! Count me in, as the Deuce is my 2nd

Yes, I like when my friends coming to my builds! ☺️ You’re welcome, Mike!

On 10/12/2019 at 18:11, quangster said:

Just caught this, friend Nikolay. Am following right behind 😉

It’s nice to meet you here, Quang! 🤝

But...

WASTED! 😤

Sorry friends, something went wrong with this build right from the start, so I flared up and put the kit in the trash... 😬

So, it’s not a big problem because I can get the second kit and build it again. Sorry again! 😎

• Sad 5

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Sometimes you just have to BIN it and start again. 🚾🚹🚮🛂🏴‍☠️

Sure thing Rob, it’s just a kit! 😉

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Better luck with the next one 👍

Thank you, I’ll let you know when I’m ready.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:09 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I want to build a 196th FIS bird in an ADC Gray scheme with a California markings:

If you don't mind me asking, would you be willing to part with the Vietnam decal option? 

I could trade you a set of markings from this Hasegawa boxing: 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-00891-f-102a-delta-dagger-pennsylvania-ang--176930

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello friends,

I have some progress on the cockpit:

50185617856_5f7ccc53a6_k.jpg

The Weber seat was a bit adjusted, but the seat belts isn’t produced yet. I applied the supplied decal on an instrument panel and as for me, it went out really well. Then there was a Sepia Shade Vallejo acrylic wash - a new product for me - really interesting!

Thanks for looking! 🙃

• Like 8

2 hours ago, giemme said:

The cockpit looks the biz, Nikolay :clap: 

Thank you Giorgio! 🤝

Today I spent some time with an intakes and the wings, I dry-fitted everything to be sure that most of the joints will be masked by the panel lines.

26 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Nice choice and work Nikolay I have the Meng 'Case X wing' version, which I shall finish as a HAF version.

Thank you Derek! 🙂 I have that (Case X) kit, too. This one I’ve planned to build with a California ANG markings, but now I’m thinking about the SEA scheme... Still not decided yet.

• Like 1

Hello Britmodellers,

after the cockpit was done I decided to paint an exhaust area and forced the build a bit:

50212368008_3618546251_k.jpg

As you can see, the cockpit tub already installed and the intakes were glued to the fuselage. An elevons now separated from the wing assembly and it’s time to rescribe some panel lines.

The wing attached, but I have some fit issues on the belly side:

50213165727_70ba1f9a9a_k.jpg

Not the best way to fix it. Luckily, this is the only noticeable problem with this kit and I hope I’ll nail it soon.

Happy modelling! 😉

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Luckily, this is the only noticeable problem with this kit and I hope I’ll nail it soon.

Hi Nikolay, so you are back to the F-102, I paused my build because I could not find any ADC grey paint, but look what AK have bought out. :clap: Before you get too far with your build I thought I should let you know that the bumps under the rudder on both sides of the fin should not be there, easily removed.

IMG_1363

I have filled all the rivet holes on the exhaust bumps and have toned down those random panels, then, while waiting for the paint to come, I started lots of builds for the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, so my F-102 is still waiting to be finished. :unsure:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Coming along very nicely.  I recently built Meng’s Case X version, in colorful Wisconsin ANG markings like in Retired Bob’s photo above. I have another Case XX in the stash, but am undecided about whether to do another ADC gray or instead SEA camo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Nikolay, so you are back to the F-102, I paused my build because I could not find any ADC grey paint, but look what AK have bought out. :clap:

Hello Bob! 🤝 I have one from Vallejo: Flanker Light Gray, but in a slightly different bottle and matt instead of the gloss. Both are sharing the same FS number - so I think we’re having the same paint inside. 😉

Before you get too far with your build I thought I should let you know that the bumps under the rudder on both sides of the fin should not be there, easily removed.

But, interesting... These bumps are existent on some airframes, but not on the California ANG units:

spacer.png

I have filled all the rivet holes on the exhaust bumps and have toned down those random panels, then, while waiting for the paint to come, I started lots of builds for the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, so my F-102 is still waiting to be finished. :unsure:

I leave it as is, just because the wings need some attention in my case and I’m aware of lacking the mojo fixing it. Your work on the fuselage aft looks awesome and very precise, I love it! 👏

50 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Coming along very nicely.

Thank you Bill! 🙂

55 minutes ago, billn53 said:

I recently built Meng’s Case X version, in colorful Wisconsin ANG markings like in Retired Bob’s photo above. I have another Case XX in the stash, but am undecided about whether to do another ADC gray or instead SEA camo.

Yes, the SEA camouflage is very attractive. Anyway, I have another Deuce (Case X), F-106A and Voodoo to be in ADC grey... 🤨 I don’t know!

Thank you for looking, gents! 😎

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Hello Bob! 🤝 I have one from Vallejo: Flanker Light Gray, but in a slightly different bottle and matt instead of the gloss. Both are sharing the same FS number - so I think we’re having the same paint inside. 😉

Hey Nikolay, who knew that Flankers were painted in ADC grey, but it's the same FS number. :winkgrin:

23 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I leave it as is, just because the wings need some attention in my case and I’m aware of lacking the mojo fixing it. Your work on the fuselage aft looks awesome and very precise, I love it! 👏

Filling the panels using Vallejo plastic putty is very easy, just spread it on and wipe it off with a damp cloth before it dries.  A smooth, shiny finish is what is required,  but perhaps not this shiny. :yikes:

F-102 6515

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hey Nikolay, who knew that Flankers were painted in ADC grey, but it's the same FS number. :winkgrin:

Oops, I just checked and it’s not the same 😬:

50221614603_7efa073e7e_k.jpg

I have the matt version (Pale Grey Blue or RLM76), according to the Federal Standard’s level of sheen. And yours is a classic gloss ADC Grey.

Filling the panels using Vallejo plastic putty is very easy, just spread it on and wipe it off with a damp cloth before it dries.

Ah, it’s too late... I’ve never seen it in the hobby stores, so I just ordered it online - looks like it’s a great thing - thank you! 🙂

A smooth, shiny finish is what is required,  but perhaps not this shiny. :yikes:

I like it! 👍

Thank you Bob! 🤝

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, quangster said:

Happy return, Nikolay. 🙂

Hello Quang, thank you! 😉

7 hours ago, quangster said:

I’m working on a Hobby Boss 1/48 F3H Demon but still will follow closely your build as I also have a Meng F-102 in my stash.

It would be interesting to see your Demon’s WIP here. And what about the Talon?! There’s no updates on the thread since the last year...

Actually, I’m lacking the mojo on the MENG’s Deuce and now I just want to finish the build.