MENG 1/72 scale F-102A (Case XX)

Hello, Britmodellers! 👋

Well, it’s time to build something from a Century Series again... I’m looked for a pleasurable and straightforward project and choose the «Deuce» from MENG! I’m not a big fan of the Gentleman Scale, but this kit draws my attention.

Let’s look at the box:

49005435252_f74123ba27_k.jpg

The box is sturdy and filled with a well-packed plastic parts:

49005435092_318c28928b_k.jpg

The first sprue (A Parts) with a fuselage halves:

49005434602_c13a620ef0_k.jpg

It’s a big bird, even if it’s a 1/72nd scale! 😋

The second sprue (B Parts) has a wings and weapon bay doors:

49004686393_f092f2594c_k.jpg

The C and D (x2) Parts sprues has a cockpit and weapon parts on it:

49004686143_727afeac33_k.jpg

F Parts sprue with a Case XX wing tips:

49005227471_131bee7981_k.jpg

The G Parts is a protected sprue with a canopy and landing lights parts:

49004687588_49eaf96b84_k.jpg

An instruction sheet looks very informative and the decal sheet is colorful and well-printed.

I want to build a 196th FIS bird in an ADC Gray scheme with a California markings:

49005226806_1873c5779e_k.jpg

Thanks for looking! 😎

• Like 19

15 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'll tag along, my friend!

You’re welcome! 🙂

15 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Don't know too much about these, but I'm happy to learn. 

I picked up the old Hasegawa 102A kit recently, having seen Dennis's build a while ago, and I'm sure I'll get around to doing it sometime. 

😎

We’re having a nice book from Bert Kinzey and Rock Roszak, so it’s not a problem to get some info! 😉 Also we have a mojo...

8 hours ago, neil5208 said:

I had a look at this kit a few months ago a was impressed but couldnt justify the price for, will follow.

I bought it on the sale, for a very acceptable price. Welcome aboard! 🤝

7 hours ago, Bangseat said:

I've had my eye on this kit - will follow with interest.

The kit looks very promising, I hope it’ll be enjoyable build.

4 hours ago, reini said:

Great plane, great kit - built the case X few months back.

I have a Case X in my stash, too. And have a chance to build it if something with the Case XX goes wrong! 😬

4 hours ago, reini said:

Will be following your progress :) 

Thank you for the interest! 👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Well, it’s time to build something from a Century Series again... I’m looked for a pleasurable and straightforward project and choose the «Deuce» from MENG! 

I've been eyeing the Meng F-102 for my collection, so I'll be following your build with interest!  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Now this is interesting! I've got the same kit, and intend to do the same markings whenever I get around to starting it .

How about a double-build?! 😉

The only issue with this markings is the «U.S. AIR FORCE» stencils that printed in black on a decal sheet. I hope it’ll be not so prominent in the end.

52 minutes ago, Christer A said:

I'll follow along, with great interest.

Welcome, Christer! 🤝

52 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Me too! Nice to see you back, Nikolay!

Nice to see you here, Martin! 👍 Actually, it was just an armour-and-figure pause.

44 minutes ago, mdauben said:

I've been eyeing the Meng F-102 for my collection, so I'll be following your build with interest!  Good luck!

Thank you and welcome aboard! ☺️

10 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Yayy... Party on  round at Nicolay's....... 🎉🎊🍻🍺😊😋😐😉😊😀🤔😶

There’s no party without you, Rob! 🥳

Meanwhile, I started working with a wings, fuselage and the cockpit. The glue dries at the moment and the twilight is here, so I’ll post some pictures soon...

Thanks, friends! 🙃

Hello guys,

I spent some time with the Deuce and have a small progress on her:

49027313983_a664beb965_k.jpg

As you can see, I started from the fuselage and wings assembly to save up the time. The fuselage halves went together really well and the cockpit can be inserted later. The wings assembly wasn’t so straightforward because of the lacking the location pins, the upper side looks great, but the downside still needs some cleaning. The plastic is soft and melted under excessive amount of the glue - I haven’t had this problem with previous builds and some seals that I usually fill with a glue needs the putty this time.

Also I assembled the cockpit and added the spare PE belts to the seat along with a scratch-builded from the plastic rod seat catapult:

49027313863_9668f4ab82_k.jpg

An afterburner already assembled and I think I’ll put it to the fuselage prior painting.

That’s all for today! 🙃

• Like 9

Hi Nikolay

I have a couple of these to build, with both case X and case XX wings. I can highly recommend the Resicast wheels for this kit, they are really nice.  If you are building a California ANG aircraft they did paint some in an overall silver finish.  I built the FROG boxing of the Hasegawa kit but I used the open missile bay doors from a Meng kit, I'm still waiting for the Fundekals markings to arrive so that I can finish it, it's only been 6 weeks since I ordered them. 🙁

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Nikolay

Hi Bob, I’m glad to see you here! 🤝

I have a couple of these to build, with both case X and case XX wings. I can highly recommend the Resicast wheels for this kit, they are really nice.

I have a Case X kit in my stash, too. Thank you, but problem with an aftermarket parts is the shipping price that usually same as the price of the kit, itself. And this time I planned to go faster! 😬

If you are building a California ANG aircraft they did paint some in an overall silver finish.

I spotted it, but according to the pictures from the Net and illustrations in the Bert Kinzey’s book, we have a both schemes presented on the California ANG Deuces...

An Aircraft Gray:

49028069246_92bc5e7109_k.jpg

The Silver Lacquer:

49028069206_1757b8c826_k.jpg

What you’re thinking about it? 🤔

I built the FROG boxing of the Hasegawa kit but I used the open missile bay doors from a Meng kit, I'm still waiting for the Fundekals markings to arrive so that I can finish it, it's only been 6 weeks since I ordered them. 🙁

Ah, that’s the second issue with the aftermarket items... I hope you’ll get them soon! 👏

Thank you! 😎

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

What you’re thinking about it? 🤔

I think a silver machine would be a nice change. Is six Deuces too many?? :wicked:

7 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Ah, that’s the second issue with the aftermarket items... I hope you’ll get them soon! 👏

They are usually quicker than that. :shrug:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I think a silver machine would be a nice change. Is six Deuces too many?? :wicked:

I’m thinking the same... Why not?! 😋 Anyway, I have the Case X and even an F-106A to put an Aircraft Gray on these birds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I’m thinking the same... Why not?! 😋 Anyway, I have the Case X and even an F-106A to put an Aircraft Gray on these birds.

Only ONE F-106!  The Meng one is the best in 1/72, though expensive.  The Trumpeter kit is quite basic, though the F-106B is the only option for a two seater. 😉

• Like 1

Only ONE F-106!

Yes. Remember, that we’re here to build the kits, not no stash them! 😜

The Meng one is the best in 1/72, though expensive.

I bought these on the sale, it was one of my first purchases after the return to modelling. There’s no doubt that the F-106A kit is of the best 1/72th scale kits that I’ve ever seen.

The Trumpeter kit is quite basic, though the F-106B is the only option for a two seater. 😉

I saw it in the hobby store, but Trumpeter... No, never again! 😑 Anyway, looks great on the sprues!

• Like 1