Spitfire vs Messerschmitt with lighting

SecretReeve

Just now, alt-92 said:

Just to prevent issues later on: shouldn't those nav lights be red/green ?

Have a look on the circuit testing youll see red and green static on, those are the nav light ports. In the videos of them in the plane they are just test optics fitted to a random led for testing the visual effect

NAVY870 - i havent exactly been 100% perfect i suppose.

anyway!

i've added a random generator into the spitfires code so now the guns "fire" for 1 second periods at random intervals spaced between 2 and 20 seconds! much more realistic effect!

im also attempting to add a morse code library into my code so the Spitfires ID lights flash the morse for "D" and the messerschmitt's flash "H" which are the initials of the client. this is a request of his, and frankly i think its awesome! it makes the model far more personalised and unique to the customer and im actually having great fun trying to incorporate the code into my own program! i've got it to slightly work so far, it sets the morse code once then stops so need to work out the repeat sequence.

• Like 1

IT WORKS!!!!!!

we have morse code people! the guns fire randomly as they are supposed to and the morse code repeats indefinately! customers going to love this! will record a video of the new code loaded into the microcontroller and the circuit on the test fibres so ya'll can see the results in the plane!

and all in 83 lines of code too!

friggin insanely happy!

okay slight kink in that plan, i gotta order a slight microcontroller upgrade from the ATTiny45 to the ATTiny85 as the program just exceeded storage capacity of the 45 by 8% will make a video next week when the new IC turns up and its loaded with the firmware.

plus side is, i now have a spare 45 i can use for the messers side of things as the firmware will fit onto it as theres less going on with it because the fire leds are on thier own microcontroller circuit.

what i'll do is upload a video of the test bed instead just so you can see the random gun firing and morse code later on

Edited by SecretReeve
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 1:02 PM, SecretReeve said:

does anyone know of any decals or after market gauges for the cockpit by any chance? primarily the instrument panel gauges.

For which kit?
Eduard has their LööK series, search Hannants for them.

2 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

For which kit?
Eduard has their LööK series, search Hannants for them.

tamiya 1/48th spitfire mk5b i'll see if i can find the one you mentioned. would be nice to get some as means i can illuminate them as well adding an extra feature to this model.

Ah, in that case a more generic 'spitfire instrument panel' search might help. 
Like the morse code for the initials, btw. That would have been my suggestion to the client, nice to see them come up with that themselves.

1 minute ago, alt-92 said:

Ah, in that case a more generic 'spitfire instrument panel' search might help. 
Like the morse code for the initials, btw. That would have been my suggestion to the client, nice to see them come up with that themselves.

i agree, its nice to get some input from the client as its more personal for them if you can add those ideas into it. i've actually got the whole lot rigged up to a test platform and in the process of uploading a video. i'll post it to my main post in a little bit and remark on here when its added. its looking rather impressive if i do say so myself haha.

i also finished up drilling out the wing tips so the fibers now protrude as needed.

5 minutes ago, Orso said:

I find this topic very interesting. Perhaps you should move it to the  Work in Progress forum before you get a slap on the wrist from the moderators :)

a moderator has been over the thread, i guess that particular one is happy with it here, but your right, if a mod feels it needs moving i welcome a message or for them to move it if its in wrong place.

anyway latest test videos have been added to the end of the very long first post.

not alot to report today, i installed the motor and the propellers into the model, ran it for an hour, ambient temp is 27*c and the motors sat at 30*c so well within safety limits. speed and sound is good too

oh its running on 5v from a phone charger as well so happy days

Edited by SecretReeve
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SecretReeve said:

not alot to report today, i installed the motor and the propellers into the model, ran it for an hour, ambient temp is 27*c and the motors sat at 30*c so well within safety limits. speed and sound is good too

oh its running on 5v from a phone charger as well so happy days

What about transferring this topic to the "Work in Progress" section?

• Like 1

so no real progress has been made, i have installed the fibre strands in the spitfire, completed the display circuit and loaded its microchip with its program, finished the circuitry and programs for the messershmitt but i have popped the mosfets on the spits circuit board due to an ES discharge so have to rebuild that.

next months im ordering the base stand, extra rod, messer kit and another pcb to rebuilt the spits circuit along with a few other bits to get all the circuits installed in the base and optics connected ready for the models to be painted up.  so will add some photos tomorrow probably of the optics and that'll be it till next month when deliveries come.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...