KV-2 Dreadnought

Pedro1

Dear all,

Here are some images of my recently finished KV-2 Dreadnought from PST in 1:72. This very heavy tank (57 tons) was developed as a bunker buster for the Soviet Army in 1940. Its armour was so thick that the German anti-tank guns couldn't penetrate it. Only the fearsome 88 Flak gun could.

On the model I replaced the various handles with brass wire and opened-up the front hatch, meaning I had to scratch build one as well in order to pose it open. I replaced the kit's link-and-length tracks for resin examples from OKB Grigorov, as they are superior to kit parts when it comes to detail. The decals are from the box. For weathering I used a black-brown enamel wash and Tamiya weathering pigments.

I hope you like it.

Peter

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 19

Good build and a well-done, convincing diorama (I especially like the flowers). I would recommend adding some foliage to the tree to make it blend in with the rest of the otherwise quite green diorama a little better. 

The tank itself has a solid paintjob, but single-color schemes tend to seem quite flat unless they have a either a good color modulation or some more significant weathering. I really like Nightshift's Youtube tutorial for distressing green armor here, maybe give it a shot on your next soviet (or any monotone camo) tank. 

Good work! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2019 at 7:47 PM, c0ldethey said:

Good build and a well-done, convincing diorama (I especially like the flowers). I would recommend adding some foliage to the tree to make it blend in with the rest of the otherwise quite green diorama a little better. 

The tank itself has a solid paintjob, but single-color schemes tend to seem quite flat unless they have a either a good color modulation or some more significant weathering. I really like Nightshift's Youtube tutorial for distressing green armor here, maybe give it a shot on your next soviet (or any monotone camo) tank. 

Good work! 

Thank you for the suggestions c0ldethey!

Peter

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2019 at 9:28 AM, Pedro1 said:

Thank you for the suggestions c0ldethey!

Peter

Ignore him, it's a very nice model, just because you don't want to slavishly follow the current trendy styles of finishing a model, that's up to you. Groundworks really good. Can't wait to see the next one.

Edited by spaddad

8 hours ago, spaddad said:

Ignore him, it's a very nice model, just because you don't want to slavishly follow the current trendy styles of finishing a model, that's up to you. Groundworks really good. Can't wait to see the next one.

Ignore me? What? Is that really how people interact with each other on this forum?

I never said that the original poster  MUST do anything. Just gave a suggestion. Furthermore, did I say it was a bad model? Absolutely not. 

Relax guys, let's keep it all friendly.

The link c0ldethey shared was actually quite interesting and I may use some of the techniques shown in a future build, even though I usually prefer to keep things a bit more subtle 🙂.

And thanks for the compliment c0ldethey.

Peter