Azur Ffrom 1/72nd Renard R-31

The Renard R-31 was designed as a two-seat reconnaissance aircraft in 1931 by Alfred Renard, and the type entered service in the mid-1930s. The R-31 was the only Belgian-designed aircraft to be used by the Aéronautique Militaire in combat missions during the German invasion of Belgium in 1940. R-31s were operated by two squadrons, 9th and 10th escadrilles, during the first year of the war, with 11 and 10 aircraft each respectively.

The aircraft modelled, N9, was the personal aircraft of Cne Paul Henry de la Lindi, commander of the 11th escadrille from January to May 1940. 

The Renard R-31 was a parasol-winged single-engine aircraft of metal and fabric construction. The engine was a Rolls-Royce Kestrel, giving 487hp, a maximum speed of 300kph, range of 950km, and a service ceiling of 9,300m. Wingspan 14.4m, length 9.25m. Armament was one fixed Browning machine gun, mounted in the starboard fuselage side and operated by the pilot, and one flexible machine gun for the observer. Wikipedia seems to think both weapons were Vickers or Lewis guns, but I'm not sure the modelled rear gun looks like either of those, lacking the characteristic drum magazine.

The kit was relatively simple in construction, making an enjoyable build and presenting no real issues aside from some very tiny PE parts. As a model representing an unusual and relatively unknown type, Azur must be applauded for producing the kit. I brush painted the model throughout, mainly using Humbrol enamels.

49006388921_b2d85213be_b.jpg

49006599777_512873e0be_b.jpg

49006600027_627dc3920d_b.jpg

49006389956_de76d2301e_b.jpg

49005850363_e99a10f591_b.jpg

49006390641_5ca977ff04_b.jpg

49006601472_bc38473c0f_b.jpg

49006601662_e900f23b4c_b.jpg

WIP thread here. Bear in mind this thread will feature other Aéronautique Militaire aircraft in time.

Edited by Heather Kay
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JWM said:

Very nice result! Which colour have you used, if I ma ask? 

I have plans for other Belgian planes, and I have an Airfix Gladiator that has a Belgian option. I decided to follow their colour recommendations, which says Humbrol 155 for the khaki green. That’s what I used on this build, so I’ll continue to use it for consistency in future builds/conversions. Another site I was pointed to in the WIP thread suggested Hu156.

I will be building the Gladiator as an RAF plane, but I have an old Matchbox one which I’m happy to repaint to be a Belgian example. I shall use Airfix's decals for that.

• Like 1

This is what the Belgian Wings site says about armament:

" The R-31 was armed with two FN-Browning 7.  62 mm machine guns, one forward firing and one in a turret in the back seat "

Oh, that's a great looking build. Nice work!

Chris

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I have plans for other Belgian planes, and I have an Airfix Gladiator that has a Belgian option. I decided to follow their colour recommendations, which says Humbrol 155 for the khaki green. That’s what I used on this build, so I’ll continue to use it for consistency in future builds/conversions. Another site I was pointed to in the WIP thread suggested Hu156.

Thank you. I like yout solour. I did Belgian Avro 504N 

But now I think I painted it with too bright olive green... Renard is in stash!

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JWM said:

I did Belgian Avro 504N 

Lovely. I was just about "like" it, only to find I’d already been there and done it!

I have to think about whether to add training planes to my Belgian 1940 Air Force collection. I’m doing it for others, so… 

• Like 1

Hello

Very nice kit and I love this period. Mine is in progress but very slowly due to other priority projects.

I am forwarding this post to my friend Gilles Fontaine owner of the Azur FRROM trade.

Patrick

• Like 1

Just now, VG 33 said:

I am forwarding this post to my friend Gilles Fontaine owner of the Azur FRROM trade.

Thank you. I recall purchasing this kit from Gilles at the IPMS Telford show last year. We had a nice chat about it, too. If he's attending this year, I shall be tempted to bring the model along for him to see.

17 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Thank you. I recall purchasing this kit from Gilles at the IPMS Telford show last year. We had a nice chat about it, too. If he's attending this year, I shall be tempted to bring the model along for him to see.

I was at Telford last year showing a couple of new Dassault SMB2 on the Special Hobby stand and attending the show with my friends of Amay Model Club from Belgium.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33

Thanks for the nice words, everyone! 

It’s interesting, as I found with my first forays into the French side of things, to see the different colours and markings used by other participants in the events of 1940. We get so used to seeing the British and German schemes. The Belgian scheme is simple but quite attractive.

• Like 2

Congratulations for the very good looking model and the project you`ve started! The scheme reminded me of the Fox in Belgian service. Pity that when it comes to the Fairey Fox there doesn`t seem to be any injection plastic kit available for any of its versions. Unless I missed something.

43 minutes ago, Fin said:

Unless I missed something.

I don’t believe you have. Matchbox did a Seafox. I wonder if it would be possible to convert it back to a land plane with some grafting from other kits for the undercarriage.

No relation between the Belgian Fairey Fox and the Seafox.  The latter is much smaller and there were no landplane examples.  The Fox is closer to the Belgian Firefly - again no relation!  I suspect that the Belgian Fox is a development of the earlier British Fairey Fox.

Of course, a landplane Seafox might make an interesting companion to the Kingfisher or Seamew - no not the Shorts one.