Handley Page Halifax Mk VI 1/48

The saying goes 'From Hell, Hull and Halifax'. In this case the Hell and Halifax come from Fonderie Monster Miniature.

Do not believe the horror stories they tell you about this kit, it's all lies.....it's much worse!

I know a few of us have been fighting this thing for a while. I collected it from a fellow Britmodeller at Telford last year, and got stuck in. Having been warned about it's idiosyncracies , I applied my long favoured tactic of ignoring the instructions, and building it the logical way. I soon tired of this pile of poo, as nothing fitted, and worse still, nothing stuck together. It defies regular glues, and needed superglue, often repeatedly , as the seams would pop as soon as any pressure was applied. It gathered dust from Christmas until a month ago, when it went from two fitted out fuselage sides, to what you see below. A month of my life I will never get back, working from breakfast to midnight most days.

It's a tribute build to a late friend of mine, who flew this example, and others in WWII.

Handley Page H.P.61 Halifax Mk VI  RG618 was built by English Electric and delivered to No 76 Squadron at Holme-0n-Spalding Moor on 04.04.45 and coded MP I.
On 25.04.45, it was being flown by F/Lt R L ‘Bob’ Perry, as part of a mission to Wangerooge where 76 squadron was tasked with bombing a heavy gun installation on the island.  
Following bomb release and turning on to the return course, two of the attacking force collided: RG553 MP T flown by P/O G.W. Lawson was struck by RG591 MP A flown by W/O J.R. ‘Scrappy’ Outerson.
Following the collision, the ‘Bail Out’ command was given. Gerald Lawson was thrown clear, but the remaining crew of RG553, and the entire crew of RG591 were unable to escape, and were killed in the subsequent crashes.
The post strike camera in F/Lt Perry’s aircraft caught the image of RG 553 broken in two, with the tail unit ahead of the main airframe.

RG618 only flew two missions with 76 Squadron before being transferred to 158 Squadron on 01.05.45 following 76 being re-tasked to India flying C-47 Dakotas.

Bob Perry survived the conflict, and later went on to fly the EE Canberra and Avro Vulcan before retiring from the Royal Air Force.

14e2dcd8-cde0-44a8-b91f-21fd7af9f4d2.jpg

RG553
P/O    G.W.Lawson      RCAF             POW
F/O    M. Slaughter      RCAF               +
F/O    C.R. Morrison    RCAF                +
F/Sgt  A.G. Artus                                  +
P/O    R.I. Sweat           RCAF               +
Sgt     D.B.N. Stanes                             +
P/O    L.L. Slavenwhite RCAF               +

RG591
W/O   J.R. Outerson      RCAF              +
F/Sgt  C. Livermore       RCAF              +
F/O     J. Ramsey            RCAF             +
Sgt      J. Nicholson                              +
F/Sgt   E.T. Sutton                                +
Sgt       E.J. Burdall                               +
F/Sgt    G. Gibson                                 +

:poppy:

resized_ee33872c-c939-44ae-88e9-fcb7fa4b

resized_c83be481-a46d-431a-9397-ebbd532d

It will be at Telford, warts and all.

• Like 51

Great job, one day I hope to build a Halifax in 1/48 if another manufacturer fetches one out, my two FM ones were sold a long time ago so I can only admire your skill and perseverance. Hope to see it at Telford.

Cheers

Dennis

Lovely job ! . The only possible criticism is that it`s just too pristine . I remember seeing Coastal Hali`s at Dishforth during the war and they were

a bit stained ,but they were mostly white ! .I`ve had the FM kit of the Do 24 for about 20 years and never had the courage to start it ! .

I take my hat off to you . ( oh ! for one in 1/32nd ).

Don .

Great to see this finished, Frank - you have certainly triumphed where I have failed!

Seeing this and @woody37’s efforts are certainly inspiring me to give mine a second go. 

I’ll look forward to seeing this next weekend. 

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don149 said:

Lovely job ! . The only possible criticism is that it`s just too pristine . I remember seeing Coastal Hali`s at Dishforth during the war and they were

a bit stained ,but they were mostly white ! .I`ve had the FM kit of the Do 24 for about 20 years and never had the courage to start it ! .

I take my hat off to you . ( oh ! for one in 1/32nd ).

Don .

Ah, but it is depicted here as a new machine, factory fresh, and devoid of mission markings. As above, it  only flew 2 missions with 76 before moving on after less than a month.

• Like 1

Excellent job.

And a sad story too. It always seems more tragic when crews got the chop so close to the end of hostilities. That was, I believe, the last raid flown by main force Halifax squadrons.

Ian 

Well done on finishing the brute to such a high level,........ I`ve not picked up the courage yet to start mine!! 

What a great tribute too,....lest we forget.

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot

A terrific build of what I am told is a truly horrible kit.  Well done for persevering with it.  It was definitely worth the effort.  Thanks for the background story too.  Such a tragedy, especially when so close to the end of the War. 

From what I hear about this kit, just finishing it in any half-decent way is a major triumph.

You've done a whole lot better than that, in spite of all your trouble in the build.

Congratulations on a fine result.

:clap::goodjob:

• 1 year later...

Hi, we have a member in the 76 Squadron Facebook Group who's relation was the rear gunner in BB199 in which Bob Perry was the pilot. Bertie Hoskins was the only member who died in this accident. They're looking for any photos of the original crew. 

Thanks for your help

That you successfully produced a great looking model from such a horrible kit is truly amazing and inspiring. Congratulations!

34 minutes ago, garyclarke300 said:

Hi, we have a member in the 76 Squadron Facebook Group who's relation was the rear gunner in BB199 in which Bob Perry was the pilot. Bertie Hoskins was the only member who died in this accident. They're looking for any photos of the original crew. 

Thanks for your help

Bob was very cut up over that crash, in his own words 'It was a very bad night.' IIRC he lost two engines on a night exercise. I know he spent some time in hospital afterwards. It was almost 40 years ago he related the tale to me, and it was obvious he still felt badly about the events. I do not have any photos sadly.