Tornado GR1 ZA586 info. request

David Womby

I have read that ZA586 was the first Tornado allocated to a frontline squadron - specifically 9 Squadron RAF in January 1982.   Sadly, she was also the first one the squadron lost in  fatal accident the next year.

I'm modelling an early Tornado and would like to represent ZA586.    I can't find any pics of her but assume she was like  her contemporaries and had no IFR and no undernose range finder.   What I need is info. on any unique markings.  I have decals for 9 Squadron a/c of that era but what, if anything, was her tail code.   For example: ZA592 wore 'G' at the top of her fin.

Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks.

David

Hi,

I don’t know for sure, but: ZA592 was G. I have pictures of ZA591 as F... so going backwards would yield Z586 as A.

That would make sense if she was indeed the first one delivered. But then sometimes those things don’t make sense at all 😅

In the absence of any conclusive data, I would go for A

Guillaume

10 minutes ago, guillaume320 said:

Update: 

This link has ZA586 indeed as A 👌🏻

Guillaume

Thanks.  Sad end for her and her pilot but good to know she was 'A'.

David

• Like 1

I helped a friend to research early 9 Squadron service Tornado GR.1 a while back and these were some of the points I came across in addition to those mentioned regarding IFR and LRTMS , apologies if you already have them.

Before the move to RAFG in 1986 all safety and servicing stenciling was in English only.

Full serial was carried below each taileron.

White lined wingwalk markings were carried.

Position lights had coloured lenses rather than strobes.

Inner wing pylons were not fitted with AAM launch rails on the inner face and droptanks still had  four fins.

BOZ had not been released to service in the early years so outer pylons were either empty or carried a Sky Shadow Pod with side bulges and ventral air intake on both although only the port side was wired for it.     Looking at various photos back then I had come to the conclusion that there was some variation in the pods that were being carried.      Live pods had white nose and tail bands while inert ballasted pods carried blue , otherwise both carried the same yellow lifting bands , radiation waning triangles etc.     At least one image I found showed that the side bulges on the inert ballasted pods were the same green colour overall whereas the live pod bulges had a deeper almost emerald green section to the leading and trailing edges.     Gloss white pods without bulges and air intake were only on the development aircraft although some were later converted and painted painted orange and white with camera windows in the sides for test purposes.

If anything was being carried on the two under-fuselage pylons it would usually be a CBLS on one or both although there were some photos around of inert 1,000 lb. bombs with blue bodies and standard green tails being carried.

Edited by Des
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Something else to note on the early GR1's, painting wise. As shown in Johns photo's. The wing structure covered by the flaps and slats was painted the "off white" colour, same as the undercarriage bays and inside the airbrake area's.

Later these were painted DG/DSG as they did stand out a bit against the camo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Something else to note on the early GR1's, painting wise. As shown in Johns photo's. The wing structure covered by the flaps and slats was painted the "off white" colour, same as the undercarriage bays and inside the airbrake area's.

Later these were painted DG/DSG as they did stand out a bit against the camo.

Thanks.   I do have a set of the open slats/flaps and may use them on this build. So good to know.  I assume the same applies to the underwing space exposed by the open flaps?

David

• 1 month later...