1/72 Vickers Viscount 700 - cosmetic surgery for the Mach 2 kit 2

ianwau

I've had in the collection for some years the Mach 2 Vickers Viscount 700 kit - a manufacturer who produces some rather interesting subjects (ie Mach 2).  This is one of their better efforts in my view with nice detail, generally accurate lines (but see below) and the opportunity for some great colour schemes.  The usual research has been done before starting - including build reviews etc from other modellers.  A number of reviewers/builders have commented that there is something that is 'not quite right' with the finished model and I have formed a view as to what that might be.

For a hint - check out the wing root shape on the fuselage halves. Notice anything weird? Particularly if you know what makes aeroplanes fly (apart from engines)...

DSC02218

So let's turn to Exhibit A - the wings.... Bizarre as it might sounds - I believe the wings have been moulded 'up side down'. The wheel wheels and lower wing surface details have been moulded engraved on the TOP WING - and the engine nacelles/top wing details are moulded/engraved on the bottom. Even the top view of the top wing below sort of looks vaguely deflated?  OR is it me?   Check out the detail pics below, showing the kit, the Viscount 'official-ish' wing profile (NACA 63-???[modified]), and early stages of my replacement : 

model 191103

So you've probably guessed correctly.  Some cosmetic surgery means scratchbuilding some new wings for the Viscount - including a cut and shut of the Mach 2 wheel wells and engine nacelles/fairings. ie what is on the Mach 2 top wing will end up on the bottom wing and vice versa.  Simples eh? Oh - and a bit of scribing.  Thought it'd be worth showing the progress and end result and see if it looks round about right when I'm finished?? 

Here's where I am up to.   Basic replacement wing shape has been formed up - currently overlength and rough markings showing where the Mach 2 wheel wells and fairings are going to go.... 

DSC02226

• Like 13
  • Sad 5

Good luck with this one!

Mach 2 have just announced a VC-10 model will soon be available. There is a well known forum member (who's been banned from numerous forums because he can be a bit argumentative/ outspoken) who made a less than complimentary post when it was first announced - he was then roundly criticised for his remarks. Sadly, he does have a point, Mach 2 kits are often well below the standard of limited run kits from many years ago. I have their Caravelle and would really like to build it but...

I like your approach though, see it as an opportunity for a bit of good old scratch building. I'll definitely follow this build.

Jeff

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

post when it was first announced

There was a hell of a ding dong on Airliner café on the Mach 2 VC10 . Surprised it was allowed to continue .

16 hours ago, ianwau said:

scratchbuilding some new wings

Great work . brilliant ,well done .

• Like 1

Hi, ianwau.

I discovered your thread some days ago, but I find time to replay only now.

First of all: congratulation for your approach to this difficult build.

I have in the stash the same kit since 2014 that a friend of mine brought me directly form France.

I wrote some notes about the surgery needed in order to get a decent model and the last sentence was:

"I don't see any alternative to build a new wing and adapt the engines nacelles on".

And to make new wings I thought to a wooden core with thin plasticard glued on.

Unfortunately the airfoil (and the consequent wing/body fairing) is not the only problem.

If you need, I can post some references about the other issues and the correction needed as the level of the pax windows that should be at least 2 mm lower. etc....

Good luck for you build.

Regards

Eugenio

• Like 1

I salute you, my friend.  First rate modeling and dedication in the face of needless inaccuracy.  I wish you the best of luck, but seeing all your work confirms why I will never buy a Mach 2 kit again.  The PBM was enough work.  

1 hour ago, 72linerlover said:

...If you need, I can post some references about the other issues and the correction needed as the level of the pax windows that should be at least 2 mm lower. etc....

Good luck for you build....   Eugenio

Hi Eugenio, - yes please that'd be useful to have another perspective. The nacelle transplant is now complete - with the wings currently in a stable condition in the recovery room. The plastic surgery required a marathon 6 hour operation under anaesthetic.  

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, ianwau said:

Hi Eugenio, - yes please that'd be useful to have another perspective.

Ok, ianwau.

I need some time to organize information in a decent way.

9 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

I will never buy a Mach 2 kit again

Sadly me too, because the items are interesting, but awfully done, at least at the cost they require.

Regards

Eugenio

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...