It’s a “Yugo” Take 2.

5 hours ago, JBZ said:

"V" line didn't existed on real 109. yWSk4zV.jpg

Well thats not good... they're on the drawings i looked at. To late to really change for this build, my next 109 wont be like this now that i know. 

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Cousin,

Well, another great add to your collection !!

Hope that your mother in law is in good health now !

Sincerely.

CC

Thank Cousin, she came home form the rehabilitation center on Friday. Just in time for yesterday’s family holiday party. SWMBO is happier and thats what counts. 

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... I was able to finish the colors up today. I think they're pretty close to what i see in my minds eye. 
HATri6S.jpg

FMGKGST.jpg

RxL31zr.jpg

zBhiv9w.jpg
I sprayed the base blue grey then went over with the brown freehand. Its all guesswork for the starboard side. I don't really have a lot of good photo’s/profiles of that side so played with it. The wings and port side are as accurate as i can get though. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 7

Dennis, hope it's not too late if you wish to make some modifications to the camo, before you soften the cammo pattern edges.

A friend of mine did this G-10 some 15 years ago, and I think he did the most correct camo pattern regarding to available reference.

Here's the link to his finished kit:

http://hsfeatures.com/bf109g10am_1.htm

Hope it helps a bit...

Cheers,

S.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, srkirad said:

A friend of mine did this G-10 some 15 years ago, and I think he did the most correct camo pattern regarding to available reference.

Here's the link to his finished kit:

http://hsfeatures.com/bf109g10am_1.htm

Hello srkirad Thank you for the link and offer of advice. I did find your friends build during my research. Its a very well done build and I truly appreciate the help. However ive already cleared the paint. Besides according to the actual photo’s of the airframe which survived  there weren't very good photo’s of the starboard side. It also had a short tailwheel being a conversion from an earlier airframe. Here is the one site that has the photo’s. 

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/610937/610937.htm

And this one has a history of the airframe 610937.  

http://yumodelclub.tripod.com/batajnica_air_show/a_tale_of_two_me109s.htm

Dennis

No problem Dennis, we learn altogether through this research work for our kits :)

But hey, looking at first photo of starboard side on first link you gave, you can see pattern of brown fields around Yugoslavian roundel.

And also if you look more closely, it is visible the tail wheel is protruding top of the fuselage. Does this suggest this actually was a long tail wheel? 🤔

610937_yugo1.jpg

On this photo tail wheel is also visible protruding the fuselage top

610937_yugo5.jpg

Anyway looking forward to softening camo edges and final look after setting decals.

Keep going, doing good so far!

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So upon further thought I decided to touch up the Grey. I had to use the same color on another build and figure i could do both. We'll...  I wont be doing that again. All i wound up doing was reversing the issue in certain spots, even though i masked ? I should have just left it and finished the decals by now. 

pJt9HZm.jpg

bHoJBEY.jpg

Im going to shelve this and decide what to do ? 
Re-paint the whole thing or live with it lije I initially wanted to. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello One... Hello All... Ive not been idle on this. I sat back and thought about the overspray issue ? While thinking something broke free in the old brain, and i decided to go old school to fix this. I opted to go with Plastix’s approach and brushed the brown on. It turned out rather good so i cleared the uppers today. 

hd6QOvC.jpg

cJrlI0j.jpg

kRvUSsk.jpg
Its not perfect but i think its good to the point that I will be moving on to the next stage. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

That does look good Dennis. Not perfect and therefore more authentic because of it as the real machine wasn't perfect either. Nice work :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Did some finishing work on this today along with my Mustang build. Seatbelts, KKLCte8.jpg

dOd07O0.jpg
Exhaust painted and guns mounted. 

zcltYMs.jpg

Landing gear bays painted and wing paint repaired. 

FOkp4TB.jpg

Undercarriage on the right, P-51 on the left. 

gsqOuoo.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hello everyone... I was able to get to the decals on this and my Mustang build today. I will need to touch up the red in the tail flash as it didnt quite fit. 
PEU29GE.jpg

YLANugI.jpg

o5QDY4P.jpg

I had messed up the grey/blue on the port wing underside that is why the square patch. Im going with it was a repair/repaint when this was received from the Bulgarian A.F.. This particular aircraft did not wear upper roundels so i didn't add any. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

Looking good, you gave it some life with decals.

Repainted underwing is a nice touch and it was very common with some of aircraft in Yugoslav Air Force that were either captured or left by original users.

Just cut out with scissors or modelling knife leftovers on blue part of flag on tail, and touch up with paint

Cheers,

S.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Looks good to me Dennis. Did the decals behave?

Yes mostly the tail flash wanted and did fold in half. I had the spare which I cut in half. Other than that no issues. Though they do stick and don't like to move without some persuasion. Thats why the side roundels are slightly off from each other. 

6 hours ago, srkirad said:

Just cut out with scissors or modelling knife leftovers on blue part of flag on tail, and touch up with paint

Yes was going to wait a day or so until they're truly set before I mess with them.   

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work Dennis she looks great.

The Yugoslav markings do add a nice bit of colour to the model don't they.

Yes thats why i liked the scheme so much to begin with. I saw yours and thought the same thing. 

• Thanks 1

Morning everyone... Did some minor detail painting on this tonight and touched up the tail flash. Tested the landing gear as well, tail gear fixed MLG not.  KRSmwsR.jpg

xMKETOm.jpg

FkL5cUt.jpg

sTMUXXz.jpg

From my understanding this airframe only had about 30-35 hours on her when she was retired in the early 50’s. So Other than some light exhaust stains and maybe fuel stains shes pretty much finished. Still need a satin coat to finish after that but the end of the tunnel is in sight. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3