Italeri 1/72 Sikorsky HO4S-3 ASW

hsr

This is my rendition of the Sikorsky HO4S-3 helicopter. My goal was to build it as one of the first deployed helicopter ASW squadrons. The kit was the Italeri HO4S-3 #1267. I also the Eduard H-19 interior/exterior kit, the Eduard Mk44 homing torpedo and the Print Scale H-34 decal sheet. I stole the torpedo mount from an Italeri HSS-1 kit and dummied up  an ASQ-4 dipping sonar. For Italeri this was a pretty good kit with good fit and detail. The Print Scale decals worked great once in place but were a bear to get there since the much preferred to roll up into a ball then to be positioned on the model. 

I based my build on this picture, including the sonar peeking out from the bottom:

HO4S-3+Color+on+Ramp.jpg

There are no decals, that I can find, for these early squadrons so I used ones from the H-34 sheet that looked appropriate. But from a fictional aircraft from HS-4. There is no indication that there was any actual aircraft marked as mine. If I got it all wrong, such is life.

Given that, here it is:

edtX2EAx_o.jpg

clgj6rVL_o.jpg

UarWxR0W_o.jpg

cSLmyRJG_o.jpg

2WvIow2h_o.jpg

W6zIO6Pp_o.jpg

I want to thank @Tailspin Turtle for posting his Tailhook topics on this subject https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2019/09/sikorsky-asw-ho3s-3.html

Next up is an E-8 J-STARS using the Heller E-3 kit and the Flightpath conversion

Enjoy

• Like 21