1/48 - Morane-Saulnier MS.230/C.23 by Dora Wings - released - new boxing

Homebee

Look realy great but a question came to me: is the old Heller kit that bad that there is room for new kit for this important but, to be frank, not so much exciting airplane?

I really would like to know - I have one in stash. There are still some airplanes not well modelled as injected kits and Dora is finding them like in case of Bellanca 300 or Percival Gull/Proctor series (Frog was really ancient kit).

Cheers

J-W

I have one of these too.  AFAIK there is nothing wrong with the shape of the aircraft.  It stems from Heller's "Black Box" period when their 1/72 kits were as good as anyone else's and at times better.  (If it turns out to have been from the preceding "Yellow box" period that just shows that they were producing some good kits then too.)  Any drawbacks to the modern modeller is going to come from the lack of finer detail and interiors, so it depends upon just how important these are for you.  I'm sure that the Dora kit will come with more parts, and fairly sure it will fit together at least as well.

6 hours ago, JWM said:

Look realy great but a question came to me: is the old Heller kit that bad that there is room for new kit for this important but, to be frank, not so much exciting airplane?

I really would like to know - I have one in stash. There are still some airplanes not well modelled as injected kits and Dora is finding them like in case of Bellanca 300 or Percival Gull/Proctor series (Frog was really ancient kit).

Cheers

J-W

Given that the Heller kit is 1/72 and this new kit is 1/48 I don't understand your point. 

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

Given that the Heller kit is 1/72 and this new kit is 1/48 I don't understand your point. 

Ooops! Of course you are right, I am apparently to much focused on gentelman scale... I have not noticed 1/48. Was it there? ;)

J-W

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Morane-Saulnier MS.230 by Dora Wings - 3D renders+box art+test build - release in 2021

Seems real nice. I'd like to see a MS 236 (MS 230 built under license in and for Belgium with a different engine). Well, they did for the MB 15X series. So, crossing fingers! And I wish they would upscale their Lizzie (I can't resist high wing planes).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

The Blue Max "new monoplane" was a single seater. Did they just cover up the 2nd cockpit?

Yes, exactly that: unbolt the front windscreen and add a simple curved rectangle of light alloy sheet secured in four places. 

The Morane 230 was Doug Bianchi's s G-AVEB.

I don't think it  necessarily even qualifies as a modification, just the preferred configuration for advanced solo flying such as displays and aerobatic competitions and quite likely supplied from the Morane factory. Stampes have similar covers for the front cockpit: it is OK when the front cockpit is occupied, but when empty and uncovered, the aeroplane buffets quite a bit under negative G. The cover eliminates that and also reduces draughts and drag.

The Tiger Club copied the idea for their three mildly souped-up competition/display Tiger Moths, named The Bishop, The Deacon and The Archbishop. (The fourth one we all wanted to see would have been called The Actress, for obvious narrative reasons, but that never happened)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

The Blue Max "new monoplane" was a single seater. Did they just cover up the 2nd cockpit?

The first box contains the aerobatic version.
And the first cabin is also closed there. This is stated in the instructions.
A small print run of decals will be released for the film version. Whoever wants to make it will be able to purchase it additionally. I see no reason to make a special edition for him, a box.

230.jpg 230-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I expect that the Greek and Portuguese decal options will be along with many French... If Dora will not release MS 236 (Belgian) there will be surely soon aftermarket gap filler, however Dora shown with Bellanca and Kingcobras, that they like to cover all options... Unfortunately I am devoted to 1/72 only but  I look with curiosity to pick up some details for Heller 1/72 kit, I am about to start work on...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 2:36 PM, dora said:

The first box contains the aerobatic version.
And the first cabin is also closed there. This is stated in the instructions.
A small print run of decals will be released for the film version. Whoever wants to make it will be able to purchase it additionally. I see no reason to make a special edition for him, a box.

230.jpg 230-1.jpg

Will there be a kit part for the front cockpit cover? Didn't see it on the sprues. 

Either way, for your Blue Max purposes it's the most unbelievably trivially easy thing to do. The Blue Max aircraft used a rectangular cover rather than an oval filler, but put the kit oval filler in first if you are of nervous disposition. Pick up aluminium pie dish (eat pie first) or ordinary plumber's self-adhesive alu tape. Pick up sharp scissors. Snip out a rectangle (okay, fiddle about with a paper one first to check the size, and mark around the paper one with black Sharpie to transfer it to the pie dish or tape) . Bend the aluminium rectangle around the fuselage. Run a tiny drop of cyano down each lower edge to secure (unless you use the self-adhestive tape).  Job done.

Or even just soak the paper pattern in Future and apply it to the model, that will work fine too.

Not going to embed the image because it's watermarked but you can see it here 

https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/the-blue-max-1966-5884812t

Edited by Work In Progress

12 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Will there be a kit part for the front cockpit cover? Didn't see it on the sprues. 

No, this part is not included in the kit. You need to do it yourself.

7 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Too much work. 

Then you can make a two-seater version, a variant with an open first cab. :)

• Like 4