Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire Mk.1

Hi gents,

Since the Uschi line is taking forever to arrive I decided to share with you my latest build now, an OOB Tamiya's 1/72 Spit Mk.1 and my first attempt at "proper" photography which partly failed and on which I have to definitely work. 

I am not completely satisfied with the final finish as, again, I have some small orange peel on the paint. 😡 Got to work on that too!!! It's probably the flat and gloss coats which I didn't airbrush but sprayed from the can, since I didn't have any orange peel on the paint itself because it was airbrushed. Any advice would be very much appreciated! 

Also, as I said in my "work in progress" post, some kind of fogging/staining happened on the inside of the canopy which I can't explain, since I worked in gloves and did not use CA glue. Any ideas about what might have happened? 🤔

The decal on the starboard side is slightly too high and went into the canopy sliding channel, which I just saw now! 😭 Also, the camera now showed me what my eye didn't, and that is to do with the exhaust stains finish which is too strong in my opinion.

Couple of lessons learned here! 

Thanks for looking! :)

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 28

Good work! 

I have a Spitfire with orange peel also, and it was airbrushed.  I think I over-sprayed the clear coat. I'm thinking about using the Tamiya polishing compounds on it. I will report on effectiveness, but it probably won't be for some time. As for the canopy, on my last build I cleaned the jeebus out of the canopy before closing it and when I peeled the mask off, the inside of the canopy was covered with white dust(?). My guess is static is to blame. Anyway, I don't glue the canopy down anymore until the very end, and only use elmers glue in case I have to open the canopy 'one last time'. 

And my best advice is - enjoy the build.

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2019 at 6:22 PM, Crane said:

Good work! 

I have a Spitfire with orange peel also, and it was airbrushed.  I think I over-sprayed the clear coat. I'm thinking about using the Tamiya polishing compounds on it. I will report on effectiveness, but it probably won't be for some time. As for the canopy, on my last build I cleaned the jeebus out of the canopy before closing it and when I peeled the mask off, the inside of the canopy was covered with white dust(?). My guess is static is to blame. Anyway, I don't glue the canopy down anymore until the very end, and only use elmers glue in case I have to open the canopy 'one last time'. 

And my best advice is - enjoy the build.

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

Hi Crane, 

Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to your report on the polishing compound. For the next build I will decant and airbrush, or just use some other flat coat made for airbrushing (haha, that's what I said last time :)). 

You might be right about the static. Never crossed my mind. Thanks. 

Best, 

Nikola

Great work on the camo paint work. You are right regarding the exhaust.  It looks a bit light to me. It could easily be fixed by adding darker colours in the middle of it. There's a lot of good examples of it here. 

3 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Great work on the camo paint work. You are right regarding the exhaust.  It looks a bit light to me. It could easily be fixed by adding darker colours in the middle of it. There's a lot of good examples of it here. 

Hi Greg, 

Now that I think about it it's probably the bad lighting in my study (a.k.a workshop :)) that tricked me. Next time I will do those subtle finishing effects in daylight. Lesson learned :)

Cheers, 

Nikola

4 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Is the decal scheme included in the model being OOB? I love the oversized codes and have done DW K myself. I wouldn't mind giving this Spitfire kit a try

Hi Adam, 

Yes, the decals were included. It's a nice little kit. 

Best, 

Nikola

• Like 1