Blackburn Roc Target Tug Floatplane

Love it!  The paint job you have done Must have been a bear but it really turned out looking great.  I have an old classic airframes target tug in my stash but honestly the paint job scares me but I might have to bit the bullet and give er a go.  Thanks for sharing - great job!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

Love it!  The paint job you have done Must have been a bear but it really turned out looking great.  I have an old classic airframes target tug in my stash but honestly the paint job scares me but I might have to bit the bullet and give er a go.  Thanks for sharing - great job!

Cheers Harold. I have to admit that the paint job was a pig. At one point or other the entire model was covered in masking tape. A fair bit of my Telford budget will be going on restocking the stuff. You have just reminded me that I have a Classic Airframes Defiant target tug in the stash although that will be in overall silver with tallow and black stripes, so not quite such an horrendous proposition. I also have the AZ models Firefly target tug kit and their kit of the Vultee Vengeance which will also be built as a target tug. I think target tugs and target drones make great subjects but they are a lot of work. Now where did I put that Special Hobby Firefly U8 kit? :hmmm:

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Great build and paint job.

Thanks Wulfman.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Wow! Love that. Never knew they had Roc floatplane TTs? Great job 

Thanks Binbrook. The Roc was designed and built with a view to operating on floats should the need arise. They used surplus Blackburn Shark floats. The need arose when the Bermuda station needed something better than Swordfish or Walrus as target tugs. The problem was that, at that stage of the war Bermuda did not possess and airfield and this is where the Roc's floatplane capability came in. Not the fastest target tug in the world but the best that was available in the circumstances.

Hope that helps.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I say! what a corker! A beautiful job your Alienship. Once more round the lighthouse and mind where you're shooting! Pip pip!

BTW, I read once that there was a place in the West Indies where RAF chaps were stationed to see in the flying boat.

The flying boat went there to take supplies to the chaps that were stationed there.

Of course it was probably more complicated than that, but there was a war on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for a brilliant thread and the finished model was well worth it,....... it looks just the job mate,....... excellent!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pheonix said:

That is a super model with a fine base and pilot figure to set it off. TT's do make interesting subjects - albeit they are rarely modelled.

P

Thanks, I'm not sure why they are so rarely modelled, they are colourful and very esoteric. Research can be a tad difficult but the information is out there.

4 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL..

:goodjob:

:mike:

Cheers Houston.

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I say! what a corker! A beautiful job your Alienship. Once more round the lighthouse and mind where you're shooting! Pip pip!

BTW, I read once that there was a place in the West Indies where RAF chaps were stationed to see in the flying boat.

The flying boat went there to take supplies to the chaps that were stationed there.

Of course it was probably more complicated than that, but there was a war on.

Thanks Pete. It may well have been Bermuda, there was a regular flying boat route out to the island.

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Thanks for a brilliant thread and the finished model was well worth it,....... it looks just the job mate,....... excellent!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, I'm glad you enjoyed the ride.

1 hour ago, chris148 said:

👍 cracker

Cheers Chris.

48 minutes ago, zebra said:

Marvellous model Martian

Thanks I am glad you like it.

31 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Two builds completed in as many weeks! What has our Martian been drinking, rocket fuel?

But seriously, a most excellent job! 

Cheers Bill. It is in fact the fourth model I have completed this year. the Martian finishing this number of models in a year has never happened before on BM  and the odds are that it will never happen again. I am told that you will get better odds on winning the Vogon lottery and getting your winning ticket paid out.  @Mike was warned a while back, when the possibility of the fourth build getting past the finishing line first reared it's head, to have a team of councilors on standby for those who cannot cope with the shock. I understand that he will be at Telford to take appointments.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I am told that you will get better odds on winning the Vogon lottery and getting your winning ticket paid out. 

Just as well, because the lucky winner gets a first edition copy of “50 Vogon Poems You Must Read Before You Die”.  Reportedly, no one has survived to finish the volume. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Just as well, because the lucky winner gets a first edition copy of “50 Vogon Poems You Must Read Before You Die”.  Reportedly, no one has survived to finish the volume. 

Wrong there because every ticker has "50 Vogon Poems You Must Read Before You Die" written on the back, along with the stipulation that the said poems must be read and certified as having been or the ticket is invalid. False declarations incur a blurglecruncheoning in the gobberwarts around the entire Vogon Constructor Fleet, followed by a reading of the Complete Works of the Chief Vogon.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Bugga, I was going to say that! So I'll content myself by saying, that is a cracking job @Martian Hale & a pretty neat journey to get there too. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, it was a little too long a journey for me, I wrongly thought that because my conversion of the Pavla Roc was reasonably straightforward, this would be too. It all seemed such a cunning plan when @corsaircorp came out with it two years ago, but then I had been drinking some of his Belgian rocket fuel when I agreed to it. I shall be gagging him this year! :tapedshut: The moral of the story being "Beware Belgians dragging bin bags behind them. Especially if they are not a dustman".

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

Congratulations on reaching your deadline and producing another masterpiece 

:clap2:

Kev

Thanks Kev, I'm mostly relieved to have @corsaircorp off my case. Until he cooks up another daft idea that is. My record of avoiding the "Seemed like a good idea at the time! syndrome is less than stellar!

Easily led of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Very interesting subject and excellent result. The scheme is very attractive indeed :)

Cheers

J-W

Thanks JW.

Martian 👽

Thanks Chris "a bit different from the norm"  pretty much sums both me and my modelling up. Can't think why!

Martian 👽

• Like 1