Sd.Kfz. 232 8-Rad - Tamiya 1/35

Hi everyone, this is the last model that i've finished. I was a bit bored doing only airplanes, so i changed subject doing a D.A.K. Vehicle

I don't build AFV's very often, this is the result. Hope that someone will like my work

Extras: Eduard PE Set

Cheers From Italy 🇮🇹

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Giangio
  • Like 14

Someone does likes it, I was just talking to them a minute ago...😜

Sweet finish, just enough chipping and scrapes to make it look used and worn.

Wheels look fantastic with the dusted effect. Top stuff.

• Thanks 1

Ciao Giangio,

You've done a grand  job on the 8-Wheeler, one of my favourite WWII armoured cars. Good to see it in the DAK garb as well. It just looks better than the Panzer Grey.

Your skills have transfered well across from the 'wingy things' genre with a tidy paint finish and super decals. I think the chips in the paint are a bit on the large side though and maybe there should have been more tiny chips and less of the large ones? But that's just my personal taste. Otherwise, your weathering is subtle and effective.

Are you going to display it on a base?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Badder said:

I think the chips in the paint are a bit on the large side though and maybe there should have been more tiny chips and less of the large ones? But that's just my personal taste. Otherwise, your weathering is subtle and effective.

Are you going to display it on a base?

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

You are right on the chipping, it was my first time with the AK Worn Effects, so in some areas the chipping is decent, on the Side-Rear isn't that great, like you said they are too large. 

I wanted to display it on a base but the palm trees are too expensive, i just don't like display bases with only sand. I have one here, tried to do some test shots, doesn't look convincing to me

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Do some more AFV's as you've made a great job of this. Nice one.

John.

As soon as I finish the terrible hasegawa p38j, I'll build the 1/35 rfm Tiger 1 used in North Africa 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Giangio said:

I wanted to display it on a base but the palm trees are too expensive,

Hi Giangio,

There are some great videos out there showing how to make your own palm trees. Okay, the best use pre-cut paper palm leaf kits, but the trunks and all of the other details are made from modelling clay and scrap bits of plasticard. Definitely worth having a look around cos the paper palm leaves are cheap and the finished 'trees' look extremely realisitc.

As for the chipping, I'd have a go at painting the chips on with a brush/sponge as then the chips will be the exact size you want, and in the exact places you want. Heavy chipping fluid is fine if you want to remove a lot of the 'over-coat' but the chips occur too randomly for finer chipping.

I do look forward to seeing your DAK Tiger as well. Always great to see a desert Tiger.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

Hi again Giangio,

I've had a quick look for palm tree vids. As I said, there are lots to choose from. Go for one of the 'how to make 1/35th palm trees' and you won't go far wrong. BUT, if you want to make realistic palm tree leaves I'd refer to the 'coconut leaves' at the start of this vid. They are more realistic than most palm tree leaves shown. Ignore everything else in the vid. Combine THESE leaves with the trunks and crowns of palm trees.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi again Giangio,

I've had a quick look for palm tree vids. As I said, there are lots to choose from. Go for one of the 'how to make 1/35th palm trees' and you won't go far wrong. BUT, if you want to make realistic palm tree leaves I'd refer to the 'coconut leaves' at the start of this vid. They are more realistic than most palm tree leaves shown. Ignore everything else in the vid. Combine THESE leaves with the trunks and crowns of palm trees.

Rearguards,

Badder

Many Thanks Badder, that's a clever way of doing palm leaves