RMASG Centaur Mk.lV.

The last thing that I said in my WIP in December last year, was that I would put it into RFI as soon as I’d done a couple of figures. Well, 10 months later, here it is, but with just the one figure. The figure is part of the Master Box set for British and Commonwealth AFV Crew, but with the head exchanged for one from a Verlinden set for British Tankers. Fortunately, he had his mouth open, which fitted in well with the actions of the figure.

The tank is one of the early Centaurs, taken from storage to use on D-Day. I’ve depicted it earlier in the year around April while they were conducting exercises. There is some disagreement as to which battery Seawolf belonged to, 3 or 5. Even decal manufactures can’t agree, so I’ve gone with 3rd Battery.

I made the base to loosely represent a sloping harbour wall so that it would show off the moveable suspension swing arms and the Fruilmodel tracks. The only other things that I’ve added since the WIP are some stowage in the open bin, and a compo rations box with some tins in it on top of the left rear track guard.

The WIP can be found here; 

5f5384e2-3794-4d2a-864c-ea9a5cf45f5b.JPG

0987dbfe-a9c5-4887-9f29-6927ed7dc79c.JPG

12f172ee-ea7d-4b77-92b6-778e44ffc344.JPG

3ff6f243-0835-4459-b5d9-4a3cfdc5f7ab.JPG

0145c5ae-838d-401d-992b-1d56920a46e8.JPG

23d033c4-fdb2-4b96-8bd4-2ded15490928.JPG

664b49e8-e0fa-4703-b7b1-46c73fd8d99a.JPG

08fc520a-efbe-4b02-9861-112e4d6fcbc1.JPG

7eb648eb-3b3b-4a10-802d-b039765bdf2c.JPG

90855c91-128e-4b9c-a6a9-5586df51cf18.JPG

69a52194-cef2-40bd-a929-867bf49ea43b.JPG

76f8d696-86e0-453f-9a18-1bd208295ffd.JPG

14e7ed30-2099-4a4b-9b15-1b77dd516644.JPG

7e7ce39e-376d-45ae-91ab-d2ddc1390ad9.JPG

1f7845a2-4611-4835-8677-64e727c2471c.JPG

So that’s another shelf queen done and dusted (literally). Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 28

Aye up John,

Great job on this. Really like how you've posed it on the slope and some nice little details such as the box of cans and open locker on the fender.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up John,

Great job on this. Really like how you've posed it on the slope and some nice little details such as the box of cans and open locker on the fender.

Regards,

Steve

45 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Lovely build John, that has really turned out well mate, love the animation of the suspension :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments, both of you. It took so long to decide how to pose it so that the work done on the suspension would show. In the end, I'm happy with it.

John. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, phildagreek said:

That’s very smart, the paintwork & the figure are superb but I love the way you’ve posed it, really impressive stuff.

Thanks Phil. Much appreciated.

John.

Hi John,

That's a beauty that is. The simplicity of the base belies its genius. As you say, the harbour banking shows of the workings of the suspension and tracks to great effect, and the 'unusual' choice to have the Centaur facing downwards is perfect for showing off all of the details on the upper hull and turret.

I really like all of the little details you've added, the chain, camo net, tarps and the cherry on the cake, the open compo rations box with tins inside.  I haven't had time to look at the WIP, but are the tow cables from the kit or ones you've made? If you made them where exactly did you get the 'cord'?

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

I haven't had time to look at the WIP, but are the tow cables from the kit or ones you've made? If you made them where exactly did you get the 'cord'?

Hi Badder, and many thanks. The compo box was a last minute idea, and now I'm glad that I did as it seems to add to the model. The "tins" inside were just short lengths cut from a suitable piece of sprue. The tow ropes are actually the ones that came with the kit. I used them as they needed to be very flexible to go in the various directions that these tow ropes were going to go. I know that a lot of people don't like the cord variety such as the ones in Tamiya kits, but if they are painted right and given a wash, then IMO they look right.

• Like 1

Another belter there John, attention to detail is incredible, must go and read the wip. Love the touches like the link between tow cable and shackle, the chain and open storage boxes, the Fruil tracks look really good too btw.

I'd been fairly happy with my Cromwell, until now!:crying:

Great work, once again!

Thanks 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kris B said:

Well done. Unfortunately I haven't much time me to follow WIP,  but at least here I can see the final. 

Thanks Chris. Not seen much of you on here lately.

John.

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Another belter there John, attention to detail is incredible, must go and read the wip. Love the touches like the link between tow cable and shackle, the chain and open storage boxes, the Fruil tracks look really good too btw.

Thanks Darryl. I think that some of the small details bring it to life.

John.

An authentic small work of art!, magnificent in all its details, and the idea of the "working" suspension, has been very convincing.

My apologies for having lost this construction, but, it seems that like other mates, today, it is almost impossible to have some time to devote to hobbies, (in addition to "building" something yourself ... lol).:goodjob:

Cheers John 👍

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

An authentic small work of art!, magnificent in all its details, and the idea of the "working" suspension, has been very convincing.

My apologies for having lost this construction, but, it seems that like other mates, today, it is almost impossible to have some time to devote to hobbies, (in addition to "building" something yourself ... lol).:goodjob:

Cheers John 👍

18 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely job & a very unusual setting. Great work on painting, weathering, figure & detailing.

Getting the suspension right must have taken some fettling!

Pete

Hi Francis and Pete. Many thanks for the comments. To be perfectly honest, the suspension was one of the easiest aspects of the build. Once the bump stops are sliced off, the swing arms just hang free, so once the tracks were in place, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th road wheels would follow any contour that it was sat on.

John. 

• Like 1

Hi John. Hope you are well. Managed to miss this when you first posted it. What a stunning result. Your attention to detail, your paintwork and finish - added with the figure and presentation really make this an awesome looking Centaur!! Very well done. :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

16 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Hope you are well. Managed to miss this when you first posted it. What a stunning result. Your attention to detail, your paintwork and finish - added with the figure and presentation really make this an awesome looking Centaur!! Very well done. :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Many thanks Stix for your kind words. This was on of those builds that definitely gets filed under "enjoyable". And a "commended" and Czech Republic IPMS trophy made it all worth while last weekend.

John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2019 at 18:23, Yetifan said:

Terrific build, love the way you have used the base to show of the suspension and tracks. The overall effect is great. Really like it 🙂

Thanks for the kind words.

John.