British Phantoms Airfix or Fujimi/Italeri?

Harry_the_Spider

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

UKAR?

https://forums.airshows.co.uk/

If you want a good argument look at the Brexit or election thread and NEVER mention XH558. Apart from that I have "borrowed" many good pictures of British Phantoms over the years from the site.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, 71chally said:

...because they are not British Phantoms.

Well, you certainly can build an early F-4J(UK) out of it? obviously not the other OOB, but what about with some modifications/kitbash? the kit is cheap and reasonably accurate in shape and easy to put together.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2019 at 18:19, junglierating said:

I'm sure Luigi didnt mean any harm Iain and its good to digress a little....yes I did understand his comment was probably in the wrong place but no need to get angry about it shipmate....😃 and is he 🇮🇹 my Italian is rubbish so if English is his second language then meh fair play 🤗

On 07/11/2019 at 18:23, iainpeden said:

I am sure he didn’t and I have been guilty myself of occasionally going off topic but the clue is sort of in the title. But no worries, when I fancy an argument I go to UKAR😀

It's nice to see such grown up conversations between members where the potential for disagreement is sensibly defused.  We like that :)

• Like 1

Fuijimi all day long . I built one of the very first ones released in 87 and all it needed was some better seats that's it,but Airfix's decals are better.

The Airfix Phantom is a world apart from The Bucc which is a real shame

Not heard about any re boxing , when is this due 

Edited by Paulaero
Spelling

9 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

Not heard about any re boxing , when is this due 

Italeri have just released the Fujimi kit, should be available anytime now.

I quite liked the Fujimi seats, but believe they may have been slightly under scale?

9 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Italeri have just released the Fujimi kit, should be available anytime now.

I quite liked the Fujimi seats, but believe they may have been slightly under scale?

Yes there were, certain white metal seats made all the difference, Italeri will sell these by the case load if they have decent markings. Not known them to release Fujimi kits before but I may be wrong but its good news. 

• Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 15:00, 71chally said:

It is the later, improved, molding.

That's great news, one for the Christmas wish list.

I currently have an old Fujimi FG.1 sanded down and awaiting repaint, as well as the lovely Black Mike boxing. The latter has to be one of the best Fujimi British Phantoms, though as others have said, the decals are not up to modern standards. I can still remember buying it way back in the early 1990s, the price sticker says £3.99!

Edited by Timbo88
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 71chally said:

My Black Mike boxing decals were actually pretty decent, probably best of all the British Phantom boxings.

I remember returning from the model shop with it, it felt a real treat!

My Black Mike kit came from a little, long gone, toy and model shop nearby that stocked a lot of Fujimi Phantoms, amongst other brands. It was the stunning box art that persuaded me to pick the kit.

Oh to have a time machine. Back then £3.99 was a lot for me to spend on a kit. How times, and prices, have changed!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Timbo88 said:

My Black Mike kit came from a little, long gone, toy and model shop nearby that stocked a lot of Fujimi Phantoms, amongst other brands. It was the stunning box art that persuaded me to pick the kit.

Oh to have a time machine. Back then £3.99 was a lot for me to spend on a kit. How times, and prices, have changed!

The decals were always the weak point, if these decals are good these kits will fly off the shelves...……... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 71chally said:

I don't know how many Fujimis Italeri have released, but certainly their MiG-21.

They are releasing the kit as an FG.1 (though labelled F-4M!), includes 111, 43 and 892 NAS options.

Without digging in the loft I think different boxings could be done as both as they had both sets of tail planes and the infill sections where the catapult points attach.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It may be slightly off-topic, but for those wanting to reduce the Airfix trenches, try this:

Fill the offending panel lines with Mr surfacer 500 . Wait untill it has dried to the touch, but not hardened completely, then run a scalpel blade no 15 in the groove. Let dry completely and sand with fine wet'n'dry.

By slightly variating the first drying time one will get variation in panel line width which gives life to the surface.

I agree, it's a pity it is needed, but it works. If used without filler, sanding alone makes panel lines narrower and sharper.

I'm using this method on the Airfix Spit FR.XIVe as we speak.

Good luck!

Tomas Enerdal

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1