British Phantoms Airfix or Fujimi/Italeri?

Harry_the_Spider

I found these articles very informative and the result was certainly an impressive result from the Airfix Phantom. Admittedly they are for the modeller interested in accuracy.

http://hyperscale.com/2019/galleries/f4k72jt_1.htm

http://soyuyo.main.jp/f4/f4e-1.html

That said having looked at one in the box compared to the Fujimi offering I agree with what everyone else says 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the Fujimi British 'Toom' is apparently one of the Top 100 model kits that you absolutely must build, according to a feature in SAM a few years ago. It has been around since 1988. They must have have been state-of the-art back then. They do look pretty good in the box even now; recessed panel lines, neat detail, a full stores package - and centre-line gun pod for the RAF version - and they capture most of the nuances of the airframe perfectly. The Fujimi kits have been released in many different boxings. However - there were a number of re-issues of the original release which attempted to fix some of the 'problems' in the kit -canopy, auxiliary intake doors, belly intake doors. So you really need one of the reissues. But these still had the same (poor, prone to silvering ) decals, but did have much better detailing on the jet pipes, vinyl wheels and so on.. 

• Like 1

I have noticed some strongly held opinions on this question in the past; certainly don't want an argument of any sort as I think this is one of those Marmite type questions. People seem to either love or hate the Airfix Phantom - and not because of any brand loyalty.  I do think that there is a danger of giving a dog a bad name here too (no pun intended...🙂) by accentuating the positives of one and the negatives of the other; and I can't agree that the Airfix kit is 'rough as guts'.  Whilst also acknowledging the fuselage panel lines are a tad too pronounced (actually in contrast to those on the wings which seem on a par with other modern Airfix kits including the new Buccaneer); and omission of the obvious vents disappointing for a kit with this level of research invested. 

Personally I really do like the Airfix kit for, what I can only describe as, an in-scale delicacy of form, shape and detail.  Despite it's outstanding surface detail, I have never liked the look / sit of the Fujimi British Phantoms. Despite having various boxings of the Fujimi kits they've never really filled me with much enthusiasm or shouted "build me" from the stash - in the same way the Airfix FG1/FGR2 does. 

Just my view and each to their own, but there are some outstanding builds on here which suggest its not as bad as people could infer. Here's one that inspired me...

Rich (ducking for cover... :poo:)

Edited by RichG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My gripe with Airfix is that they potentially have a backyard filled with Cold War Era jets and they barely nailed them.

They made a caricature of a Mig-15

The F-86 tooling wanted to be half of this and half of that still something went off

Messed up their opportunities with Harrier FRS1 and FA2 variants, I would like to keep my mouth shut for GR and AV-8A variants as I just bought them to maybe steal some parts and slap them on the Esci kits. GR7/9 are kinda ok and I guess I'll use Hasegawa parts to convert two of them into AV-8B N/A and + standards

I know they hate them but ffs how can you make a banana out of a Skyhawk especially when B and C are rarer due Fujimi kits being AWOL since 10 years if not more?

Hobbyboss didn't make a GR out of their Jaguars despite fuselage arrangement suggesting so and the only game in town is still the Hasegawa kit with lots of resin

I suppose they also hate the Tornado and its variants especially the F3

Their FW-190A/F made me purchase more Hasegawa kits, should have said Eduard yet they refuse to make anything past the A8/F8 and as long I will not see Nachtjager variants, A9/F9 and everything between A5/A8 plus ofc Dora variants from them I'll just stick with Hasegawa kits

The 262 seems ok yet I kinda like Hasegawa + Revell fix than theirs

There is a good helicopter compartment in the middle especially the Westland Sea King and frankly I still don't know how many variants they made with the newer tooling

I'll buy a couple of their FG Phantoms, cause I need a solid template of the wing reinforcement straps

What else they made?

Mustang?Not interested

Typhoon, Tempest and Hurricanes?

Beaufort?

Mosquito?

Spitfires? I was interested but it seems some are not that much issue free and I was after two kinds of recce birds, the one with tear drop canopy, something something MK VIII and its very own mess, a Seafire and a Trop or MKVB? frankly I don't remember variant

109? I guess AZ of FineMolds plus fixes for G2 and G6 variants, another AZ or FineMolds for the F variant, whoever makes the best E4 has now my attention, no interest with anything else, not even for Tamiya as they will probably just release the G6, call it a day and forget about other variants or maybe release them in the other scale like they did for the F-16 block 32

TSR-2? Are they planning to add it back to their catalogue or they are planning to do so when ModelSvit will steal the show?

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 6:13 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

. I’m just racking my brain trying to work out how best to paint the Royal Navy EDSG / White demarcation line  behind and below the engine intake splitter plates? Seems like I might have masking issues should I assemble this whole section prior to painting.. anyone got any tips? 

You can "pre-paint" that particular spot before assemblying, then finish and paint the whole model and homogeneize the finishes when weathering.

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2019 at 3:19 AM, 71chally said:
On 11/4/2019 at 2:40 AM, Winnie said:

How about the Academy 72nd? They have a B and J out I'm sure more is coming, they are literal snap together, but build in to very nice looking jets.

...because they are not British Phantoms.

.....and also because Academy is yet to do an F-4B/N in 1/72. As good as their F-4J kit is, it's not immune from issues either, such as the lack of separate canopies or ailerons. That said, if Airfix had completed their British Phantoms to the standard of the Academy F-4J (and retained the separate canopies and ailerons), then I would be singing their praises. The Airfix kit is close in some respects, but is well short of even the Fujimi kit in others, such as the depiction of the undercarriage legs and the lack of detail in the undercarriage bays or on the inner faces of the doors.

• Like 1

Since Italerli are reboxing the Fujimi Phantom, it is to be hoped they are issuing the later boxing with the improvements over the original.  I did build one, about thirty years ago, but I've no idea which issue it was; I do remember it was a nice kit.  I notice that they are down as future releases with the big H, does anyone have any idea what the price might be? 

There is an one example of each Airfix in the stash, but I really wouldn't mind another Fujimi.

4 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Since Italerli are reboxing the Fujimi Phantom, it is to be hoped they are issuing the later boxing with the improvements over the original.  I did build one, about thirty years ago, but I've no idea which issue it was; I do remember it was a nice kit.  I notice that they are down as future releases with the big H, does anyone have any idea what the price might be? 

There is an one example of each Airfix in the stash, but I really wouldn't mind another Fujimi.

£24.99 retail same as airfix 

On 11/3/2019 at 8:36 AM, Silverkite said:

Messed up their opportunities with Harrier FRS1 and FA2 variants, I would like to keep my mouth shut for GR and AV-8A variants as I just bought them to maybe steal some parts and slap them on the Esci kits. GR7/9 are kinda ok and I guess I'll use Hasegawa parts to convert two of them into AV-8B N/A and + standards

The Airfix GR.1/3 and AV-8A variants are better than the ESCI kits, IMHO, but it's close. Airfix has a better cockpit, wheel wells and armament, ESCI has finer surface detail. The only thing Airfix got wrong was the heigt of the fin on the GR.1 .. or was it the GR.3 - I forget which,

I know they hate them but ffs how can you make a banana out of a Skyhawk especially when B and C are rarer due Fujimi kits being AWOL since 10 years if not more?

Hobbyboss didn't make a GR out of their Jaguars despite fuselage arrangement suggesting so and the only game in town is still the Hasegawa kit with lots of resin

Their FW-190A/F made me purchase more Hasegawa kits, should have said Eduard yet they refuse to make anything past the A8/F8 and as long I will not see Nachtjager variants, A9/F9 and everything between A5/A8 plus ofc Dora variants from them I'll just stick with Hasegawa kits

The Hasegawa Fw 190s have completely boxed in wheel wells which rules them out for a start. For the price, I like the Airfix kit, although the Eduard is clearly superior to all the other available offerings

I've built all three; prefer the Airfix kit TBH

There is a good helicopter compartment in the middle especially the Westland Sea King and frankly I still don't know how many variants they made with the newer tooling

I'll buy a couple of their FG Phantoms, cause I need a solid template of the wing reinforcement straps

What else they made?

Mustang?Not interested

Your loss, I guess, the P-51D  is very good, although when Eduard gets around to doing one in 1/72 that will be the one to get. I like the Tamiya kit, though the wheel wells are wrong.

The 1/72 Typhoon and rag-wing Hurricane I are great kits. The Hornby era Mk.II is best forgotten

Beaufort?

Mosquito?

Spitfires? I was interested but it seems some are not that much issue free and I was after two kinds of recce birds, the one with tear drop canopy, something something MK VIII and its very own mess, a Seafire and a Trop or MKVB? frankly I don't remember variant

I've built the Mk.IX, PR.XIX and Mk.I. The Eduard late Merlin Spitfires are superior to the Airfix effort but the PR XIX and Mk.I are well worth building

109? I guess AZ of FineMolds plus fixes for G2 and G6 variants, another AZ or FineMolds for the F variant, whoever makes the best E4 has now my attention, no interest with anything else, not even for Tamiya as they will probably just release the G6, call it a day and forget about other variants or maybe release them in the other scale like they did for the F-16 block 32

TSR-2? Are they planning to add it back to their catalogue or they are planning to do so when ModelSvit will steal the show?

What about the BAC Lighting F.2A and F.6, Tiger Moth, Swordfish,  Beaufighter, Blenheim, Whitley, Wellington, Valiant, Victor, Shackleton, Jet Provost, and Vampire T.11 - all very nice kits.

• Like 5

On 11/3/2019 at 9:24 AM, Harry_the_Spider said:

Any of you guys with 200+ Phantoms got some pictures to share?

49029034796_0f41af6e5a_z.jpg2006_0101modelsphantom0010 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

49029245297_92fb3b4c41_z.jpg2006_0101modelsphantom0009 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

49029030006_c65a784741_z.jpgPicture 073 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

49028517433_2bf57374c8_z.jpgPicture 071 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

49029240437_3eb0ab8e49_z.jpgPicture 066 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

49029240492_6471553683_z.jpgIMG_0502 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

These were taken pre-redecoration of "study". I know have an ex-compyer table as my work bench.

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, Silverkite said:

My gripe with Airfix is that they potentially have a backyard filled with Cold War Era jets and they barely nailed them.

They made a caricature of a Mig-15

The F-86 tooling wanted to be half of this and half of that still something went off

What else they made?

Mustang?Not interested

Beaufort?

Mosquito?

Luigi

Wow you are hard to please still each to their own and all opinions valid otherwise life would be very dull😃🇮🇹

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, junglierating said:

Wow you are hard to please still each to their own and all opinions valid otherwise life would be very dull😃🇮🇹

Somebody needs to look at Mike's post 2 above - this is about F-4s and specifically the merits or otherwise of the British Fujimi/Italeri and Airfix ones in 1/72.😠

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iainpeden said:

49028517433_2bf57374c8_z.jpgPicture 071 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

These were taken pre-redecoration of "study". I know have an ex-compyer table as my work bench.

An amazing collection.  Just the sight of the laden shelves made my jaw drop.

David

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Somebody needs to look at Mike's post 2 above - this is about F-4s and specifically the merits or otherwise of the British Fujimi/Italeri and Airfix ones in 1/72.😠

I'm sure Luigi didnt mean any harm Iain and its good to digress a little....yes I did understand his comment was probably in the wrong place but no need to get angry about it shipmate....😃 and is he 🇮🇹 my Italian is rubbish so if English is his second language then meh fair play 🤗