Savoia Marchetti S. 55 X, Spanish Civil War, by Delta 2 in 1/72 FINISHED

There is some seriously impressive work here J-W, many congratulations, it looks great.

To develop the military rather than civil version is also inspiring.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Regards
Andrew

• Like 1

It's probably been said before, but that really is the most incredible looking aircraft. A sort of flying wing with bits added on, no fuselage to speak of. Very nicely modelled too!

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 10:45 AM, Johnson said:

It's probably been said before, but that really is the most incredible looking aircraft. A sort of flying wing with bits added on, no fuselage to speak of.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:46 PM, pheonix said:

I agree with Charlie that it does look odd -

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great. I love the pictures that show them en-masse. They look like something out of Flash Gordon!

7 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Steam punk meets Spanish Civil War, looks already gorgeous.

I agree, it looks a bit like a B-2 of twenties (or early thirties) XX C. Very sinister especially when en-masse.

The gen. Italo Balbo squadron flight was a huge demonstration of power of imperial Italy of these days...

Cheers

J-W

Adrian, thank you, there is also a photo of whole group over some lake I think...

The Sm 55x from SCW was heavily armoured - four trurres. I used Italeri Sm 81 MG to make a silicon form and to copy four MGs

49195961481_a4ae23089e_o.jpg

On top plastic original, then two copies made from resin glues (slow and fast fixing) and a silicon form with next portion of epoxy glue inside

Cheers

J-W

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, CliffB said:

This is very inspirational J-W.  I've got the 1/96 Glencoe kit in my stash and I now think that SCW could be the way to go with it!

Cheers

Thank you! This is right variant (SM 55X) to do it  - i have just checked it on scalemates https://www.scalemates.com/products/reviews.php?scale=1%3A96&topic=Savoia-Marchetti+S.55, I did not know before about existance of this kit in 1/96

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What stop me now with finishing of Sm 55 is armament (offensive): I mean bombs or terpedo or nothing? The Balbo group flight was for all non-armament machines, so there is a lot of photos but usless for it.

I've seen one in net w drawing in which four (?) bombes were shown to be carried between floatas under central part of wing, but I cannot find it again and for some reason I have not download this figure. For sure there is a provison for a single torpedo between central part of wing like on figure here

https://picclick.co.uk/Savoia-Marchetti-S55-FLYING-BOAT-MAINTENANCE-SERVICE-MANUAL-RARE-283604626714.html#&gid=1&pid=3

and in text there are written configurations from 1x 800 kg to eight 104 kg, but it is particulary interesting now for me what cound attached during so called "neutrlity patrols"  over Mediterranean Sea...? Were they just recce sorties or som attacks from hydroplane happened?

Any suggestions will be appreiated

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Grandboof said:

Great result JW Like the "water" touch 

Martin H

Thank you!

The "water" is the simplest ever: dark blue T-shirt under first crumpled then spread back flat plastic foil ;)

Regards

J-W

38 minutes ago, pheonix said:

This type was completely new to me so I have been very interested to follow this build. A very impressive model indeed - and I too really like the sea surface.

P

Thank you. There is series of SM 55 variants which is under progress by Dora Wings in 1/72. So far early SM-55 with wooden hulls, open cockpitand two blades props on smaller engines are released (two boxes?). Soon it is expected the SM-55A, with different engine I think, which retained in service (though limited) in Romania during WWII. Maybe they will issue also civil variants (two size of floatas, different both from military ones). I think that floatas were in four or even five diffferent shapes (five if SM 55M and X were different).

I am consideiyg purchase of Dora's SM 55 A in Romanian livery.  The Delta 2 kit is not so easy to get, but SM 55X was announced recently by some Italian company as resin kit.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1