Must be Quackers

So here is my second Group Build entry.

This time an Airfix Grumman Duck J2F6.

The kit dates from 1968 - so I don't give the decals much hope.

I might hunt around for a few different schemes - any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Anyway, here goes.

48994475378_c131f8a25f_c.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Bob,

Welcome to your second entry! A Grumman Duck is always an interesting choice. I've built this kit in a recent boxing, in the the colour scheme of the US Air Force, based in Alaska in 1948:

The kit is a bit of a pain to build but the end result is very catchy.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

A quick update.

Main parts de-sprued and primed.

49011802353_709127a59f_c.jpg

Thanks for all your colour scheme suggestions. I think i'm going for the silver & red arctic rescue 1948 scheme (red outer wings ,fin and lower hull)

Out of interest I tried one of the kit decals and it was fine. Not bad after 51 years!

Bob

• Like 5

Quick update on progress.

Main assemblies together and most of the very prominant rivets sanded back a bit.

I've also drilled all of the holes needed for the rigging. I'm planning on trying fishing line this time so blind holes

have been drilled in the underside of the upper wing and through holes in the lower wing.

Once attached the excess line will be trimmed and the lower wing underside tidied up. Thats the plan anyway!

Rigging that goes through the fuselage I haven't figured out yet.....

49018484351_ed3eae63e0_c.jpg

Cheers

• Like 4

Hi Bob,

Following your build with interest, especially the rigging as I have never tried it will have to add some to my kit.

Looking very good so far, best wishes for the rest!

Cheers,

Great progess, Bob!

I used fishing line as well for the rigging but didn't drill the holes all the way through. It was my first attempt at a biplane with rigging and got me hooked on biplanes. I haven't done many yet, though.

Looking forward to the next instalment!

Cheers

Jaime

Here is the finished article.

49058109348_358d9c8c73_z.jpg

The kit was pretty good for its age. The only real problem areas I had were the canopy, which was a bit thick, (my ham fistedness didn't really help)

and the fit of the langing gear. Otherwise all pretty good.

The decals had suffered over time. A couple broke up and the white of the stars and stripes lost there opaqueness (opacity?) and allowed the red underneath to show through as a slight pinkish tinge.

Oh, and they didn't like setting solution either.

I'm reasonably happy with the fishing line rigging as a first attempt - should be better next time. Still don't know which method I prefer and I must get to the bottom of the vagaries of CA glue.

Thanks for your comments and there are a few more pics in the finished models thread.

Bob

• Like 7