PC and Cookie's Big Adventure (feat. Navy Bird), the CedB cut

Procopius

Missing you already Edward

Possibly the best  guest your nation sent ours*

I want desperately to get back to see you in 2025, good luck with the boys.

Dad? Whohe?

The wife, greater love has...

And the new home

Pah, it is only a feeble six years

I might even finish a couple of models afore ye return

*Cookie and Navy Bird too of course, what a team!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Navy Bird, @Procopius, @Cookenbacher it was an absolute pleasure! I hadn't visited all the sites on our tour before, especially in the far flung depths of the East, and the companionship and knowledge you added made the trip just as special for me… (BTW I've updated the Google itinerary to show the actual trip)

The trip has confirmed my view that the aircraft museums in this country fall into three categories; those that are run by enthusiasts, those run by well funded Trusts (rare) and those funded by 'National Agencies' who insist on monitoring visitor numbers and offering 'education' for hoards of screaming children who seem much more interested in seeing who can shout the loudest and run fastest past the exhibits. They also have to include 'models' that show how things work (to give the kids something to 'engage them') which restrict the space available for proper exhibits and usually break within weeks. Pah! Grumpy old man? Me? As if…

Thanks to everyone who joined us and especially to those who arranged 'special tours' - really appreciated chaps! I'd also like to give a special mention to a few sites where people put in that extra bit of pleasure (in order of attendance)…

Old Buckenham Airfield 453rd Museum where Jim (who runs and builds the place single handed) opened up his archive to find the details of PC and Cookie's relatives. We 'got lucky' that Jim was there; it's usually only open at weekends.

Midland Air Museum, where Barry (their Chairman and Curator) had done his best to get the Sea Vixen 'coal hole' open but made up for it by introducing us to Gordon and his 'working' Victor Flight Deck. He also arranged to open up the Vulcan. A great museum and a great day.

Of course it has occurred to me that when you return in 2015 for the 85th anniversary of the BoB it will NOT be during winter closing times! That means we'll be able to take in the South East sites and, especially, the De Havilland Museum. I shall be 71 (I'll be 71 you know) by then and it may well be that the transport I have will have a larger boot (fingers crossed), although it may have the wheelchair in it… 

Great times and great memories - thanks chaps.

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

I'll be a mere babe of just 70 in 2025, the graces willing, I'll make sure I've got one of the zimmer frames with a big pouch on it, the better for storing impulse purchases in. :) It sounds like a long way off just now, but really, it'll seem like the year after next, it'll come round so fast. Best I start saving now.

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Zimmer frames might be a plan

Due to my recent surgical 'event'  I made use of one of the motor buggies held available at the TIC on the Saturday

Hell what a nightmare

Pedestrians do not see you, vendors cannot get near you to vend and cornering is fraught by tensions from all directions

Never again, I will revert to shank's pony for when we get the reruns

Edward is coming, with fortune maybe then our other friends too but I hope to remain leg-using for the event

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

I will definitely be 71 by July 2025. With a bit of luck the Typhoon under restoration might be flying then! 

Now a flying typhoon would certainly be a gift to us all, even those dodgy FAA types!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/12/2019 at 1:16 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I might be interested in that though i’m 6’7” and take the space of two people, so that might be up to you if i’m invited ? 😉

Hmm... may have to abandon the car and take the "mothership" (as my wife calls it), which is our van... 

• Like 2

On 15/11/2019 at 03:05, CedB said:

Great times and great memories - thanks chaps.

The thanks are all yours, @CedB. What a host!

In addition to arranging the itinerary, coaxing museum staff to allow us closer access, making hotel reservations, driving us all over dear old Blighty, and introducing us to Jake Thackray and the Amateur Transplants, Ced actually had to endure endless hours of conversation with Yankees. The horror! And to top it all off, Mrs. Ced made a killer Full English breakfast whilst we were domiciled at Chez Bufton. Magnificent!

Thanks to @Procopius for the detailed diary. I am astonished at the depth of encyclopedic knowledge exhibited by you and @Cookenbacher at each stop on the trip. You're both too young to know all of that stuff! I'll bet you two were reading books instead of playing Space Invaders when you were kids.

Truly an experience never to be forgotten. 2025, eh? If I'm still alive, I'm up for it!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 15

On 11/5/2019 at 1:21 AM, Procopius said:

we then visited Salisbury Cathedral, which has, I'm assured, the tallest spire in England, 123 meters.

IMG_20191103_161616

Typicall Russian tourist faces! 😁 Who Petrov and who Bosharov on this photo?

😁😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

On 11/10/2019 at 7:43 PM, Jonny said:
On 11/10/2019 at 9:52 AM, CedB said:

I did take one shot during CC’s gathering:

49041713417_8d2c4144e5_z.jpg

Great day. Cosford this morning. 

Hi, Ced ..

I HAVE to ask - the .... gentleman ... in front of you:  who he, please?  Any connection with another planet by any chance?  

It's classified information!

😁

On 11/10/2019 at 7:43 PM, Jonny said:

Apologies if these questions are impertinent.  Not my intention.

Jonny

No need to apologize!  😁 Stay at You home!  They already flew after You!

😁

Edited by Aardvark
  • Haha 2