PC and Cookie's Big Adventure (feat. Navy Bird), the CedB cut

Procopius

8 minutes ago, Procopius said:

allow me to apologize to you now for how disappointing it must have been to meet me in person.

Pah! PC is, as those that have met him will testify, one of the most erudite, intelligent and enthusiastic people I’ve met, so there... Even if he thinks my car has a small ‘trunk’...

I’m having a whale of a time - the guys are a pleasure to be with - and I’m starting to feel a bit sad that the tour is nearly over. 
Better make the best of Duxford and Yeovilton...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Edward, allow me to say that you, JD and Bill were as fine a bunch of ambassadors for your fine land as she could wish

It was pure pleasure to meet you and Sir Ced of Bathshire en masse and I hope to last long enough to participate in your next Anglomerrican visit

Enjoy (I know you will) the rest of the visit, even though you will feel as if your time here is rushing to the bottom of the tunnel as home time draws closer

I fervently hope to meet you guys again, it has been a delight

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Agreed; reading this you might be surprised or perhaps even puzzled at how the normal reserve of the British seems to evaporate on exposure to our American visitors, but the fact is that Edward, Cookie and Navy Bird Bill are just so bloody nice that you instinctively want the best for them and for them to experience the best of us

It it was a great pleasure for me to meet all of them and I know Jamie was of the same opinion, they are three thoroughly good blokes and kudos to Ced for his hospitality and logistical skills, without which this whole trip would quite possibly have not taken place at all. Even if his trunk is a bit, er, small (could just be the cold weather you know... )

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

On 11/9/2019 at 11:46 AM, opus999 said:

If you ever get a chance to go to the Seattle area, there is a Concorde at the Seattle museum of Flight that you can walk through.  Though I live on the east side of the state (with enough sand and sun to keep several Tusken Raider tribes happy), I know how to get there -- and my car fits 4...  ;) 

I might be interested in that though i’m 6’7” and take the space of two people, so that might be up to you if i’m invited ? 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Bear in mind the conservation centre is only open to the public for a week at this time of year. It usually happily coincides with SMW.

Yes I saw the sign which alluded to it only being open this week, but I'd hoped there might be other special weeks throughout the year .......... with hindsight I probably should have made a day of it yesterday. Something about living and learning in there!

Terry

I never been around at Cosford when the Conservation Centre has been open, so I might try for next year. Duxford has some good stuff, but not always well placed and of course has the  history of being the home of the first Spitfire squadron. Was really nice meeting you all, even briefly. If any of you are over again and come up to Yorkshire I would love to see you. You can get proper fish and chips and good curry up here and there are two reasonable aircraft museums within  a 45 minute drive of Leeds. 

Edited by Mr T
New info
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Mistakes were made:

IMG_20191110_074032

Clearly you had a good day! My mistakes were of a lesser quantity, although also included many decals, tools and paints. I see you got a slightly different boxing of the Avia S-199

20191112_140126

The Merlin I was after was one of the Royal Navy boxings but couldn't find one anywhere. This one was a real bargain so I picked it up anyway as I also quite fancy an Airforce one.

Terry

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

The Merlin I was after was one of the Royal Navy boxings but couldn't find one anywhere. This one was a real bargain so I picked it up anyway as I also quite fancy an Airforce one.

Terry

Shouldn't matter Terry, they are all RN nowadays

Utilise the tailfold from the box and get a head start on the Navy

My next Green Merlin is almost certain to be grey

PC has I see a few helicopters with which to develop 'the taste' (rest free Edward, I will be happy to help if I can...)

I was given a Dragonfly and an HH-3E myself at the weekend, as Dr Malcolm keeps annoyingly pointing out, "nature will find a way"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, perdu said:

Shouldn't matter Terry, they are all RN nowadays

Thanks Bill. Bye the way, I hope you noticed the latest edition to the Air Cadet Gliding fleet in that picture - the Grob Viking! I already have the Aeroclub Slingsby T61 Venture and the CMR Slingsby Cadet Mk 1, so this next year will see the T21 and the T31 with some colleagues joining them. I'll do WIP's on each one when I build them.

Terry

Great to see you all at Telford, and I’d much rather be with you in Yeovilton than schlepping into work, but somehow those bills have to be paid.

Having come away from Telford with just one kit (1/48 Fairey Flycatcher from Armory, a Ukrainian outfit which whom i am not familiar), I am now feeling really quite abstemious after seeing PC’s swag!

Have fun at VL: Fly Navy!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

and I’d much rather be with you in Yeovilton than schlepping into work, but somehow those bills have to be paid.

One of the benefits of retiremet Crisp, and I'm sure you'll make it soon!

Enjoying a breakfast bap right now in the Swordfish cafe!

Others yet to arrive.

Terry

• Like 1

It was a pleasure to meet so many of you at Telford! Especially though @Procopius @Cookenbacher and @Navy Bird (yes you too @CedB your always a delight) all of you were entertaining and very nice people, and oddly how I imagined you to be, which isn’t the norm! Really good having a chat with @CedBand @Navy Bird round Telford, And seeing some great models and amusing sights. only wish I could have stayed longer and come along to the conservation centre Etc with you guys!

looks like Duxford was great fun, I love it there! And hope Yeovilton is a great day too (the poor small booty’ed T-ROC must have take a beating over the last couple of weeks Ced! Maybe rent a trailer for Mr P’s haul next time 😃

looking forward to the updates!

Rob

• Like 8

A very memorable day spent at Yeovilton with @CedB, @Navy Bird, @Procopius and @Cookenbacher. And the good news was we only lost PC for a while ............................. Ark Royal is a very easy place to get lost. The subsequent trip up to the Frome Model Centre was a bonus. Thank you guys. Photos to follow when I get a chance to upload, along with others I'm sure!

Safe trip back to the US for Bill, Cookie and PC!

Terry

• Like 9

Just for the record, here's our final (completed) itinerary…

Fri, 1 Nov 2019 BA 1541 arrives 22:40

Sat, 2 Nov 2019 Leisurely breakfast

Tour of Bath and Helicopter Museum

Aerospace Bristol

Visit to the Local Pub

Sun, 3 Nov 2019

Boscombe Collection with Crisp and Avereda

Army Air Museum with Avereda and Aeronut (thanks Alastair for the tour)

Overnight The Kings Arms, Sandy, Beds

Mon, 4 Nov 2019

Shuttleworth Collection

Old Buckenham Airfield - we'll be posting something later to help Jim, the chap who runs it, put some models in his cases.

Premier Inn, Norwich

Tue, 5 Nov 2019

Norfolk & Suffolk

Hannants

Premier Inn, Norwich

Wed, 6 Nov 2019

RAF Marham

East Kirkby

Bomber Command Memorial

Premier Inn, Lincoln

Thu, 7 Nov 2019

BBMF

Newark

OYO Dakota, Badington

Fri, 8 Nov 2019

Midland Air Museum with Gorby

Castle Bromwich Roundabout (don't ask - we had some time to fill!)

Navy Bird arrives BHX 16:50

Sat, 9 Nov 2019

Scale Model World! Great to see you all :) 

Drink and dinner with BMers

Sun, 10 Nov 2019

RAF Museum, Cosford

Mon, 11 Nov 2019

RAF Museum Conservation Centre, Cosford

IWM Duxford / American Air Museum

Overnight Premier Inn Cambridge and visit to The Eagle

Tue, 12 Nov 2019

IWM Duxford / American Air Museum

Wed, 13 Nov 2019

Fleet Air Arm Museum with terry1954

Frome Model Centre (some things were bought!)

Thu, 14 Nov 2019

Runnymede Air Forces Memorial

Heathrow!

When I get home later we will have travelled over 1,600 miles.

A great trip and thanks again to all who helped, or joined us on the visits. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4