PC and Cookie's Big Adventure (feat. Navy Bird), the CedB cut

Procopius

On 07/11/2019 at 12:25, general melchett said:

Good to hear that you're all having a whale of a time, if I'd known earlier that you lot were in Lincoln you could have descended on Melchett Towers for a cup of something warm and wet. Hopefully catch up with you at the show, in fact, I may well treat you to one of Telford's finest bacon butties! or not. I'll be there dashing between the Bomber Command table and the Airfix/Key publications stand where I'm required this weekend...trying desperately, and probably failing to avoid my long time nemesis, Martian Hale. Hope you all enjoy yourselves....

Crisp, yes indeed, I saw this wonderfully restored relic a while back, (not me, the Overstrand) in fact I had a long chat with Les Whitehead about the old bus as he worked on them with BP back in the day, a true gentleman, he supplied with with all manner of info, AP drawings, factory photos etc. Wonderful tales of stick, string, early power-assisted turrets and high-altitude rocket interceptor designs, they were a clever lot. 

I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only fan of that wonderful steam-punk contraption, the Overstrand. Why I even built (and finished, more's the wonder!) the nice Esoteric kit of this marvellous machine. And the fact that the good General is also a fan just makes it that much more special. However, I'm a bit more interested in a much later RAF bomber just at the moment, one that may (or may not) be turning up at Telford. We shall see. I suspect that His Generalship knows. Oh, to know the things that the good General knows (and not just about the goings-on at the Gargoyle Club in the early 70s, although I'm led to believe that the stories about the Club's pet cormorant Rupert and David Bowie were greatly exaggerated.)...

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Slight change. Really just a trifle. Hardly worth mentioning.
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Good to hear that you're all having a whale of a time, if I'd known earlier that you lot were in Lincoln you could have descended on Melchett Towers for a cup of something warm and wet.

Damme and blast, I am sad we missed out!

17 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

The last time I made the pilgrimage to Hannants I suffered the same 'box blindness' that Ced complained of; after about half an hour I was just blankly scanning rows and rows of kit boxes and not really seeing anything... rather disappointing, but I'm pleased to see Edward and Cookie were apparently not affected :D 

We're in peak physical condition, you see.

Today it was off to RAF Coningsby to see the BBMF (and while we luncheoned in the canteen, we caught sight of a Typhoon barreling heavenward). 

IMG_20191107_105006

It's hard to put into words how incredible it was to be in the BBMF hangar, from the fuel smell to seeing all of the aircraft, including the oldest flying Battle of Britain veteran in the world...magical stuff. 

IMG_20191107_095543

And you, unborn then, what will you make of it—
This shadow-play of battles long ago?
Be sure of this: they pushed to the uttermost limit
Their luck, skill, nerve. And they were young like you.
-- "The Battle of Britain", Cecil Day-Lewis

Then it was off in the pouring rain to see if we could catch a glimpse of a Typhoon returning to Coningsby for lunch, as Ced predicted they would, and lo, one did!

74922160_2761285327229595_79799318330369

I really love those jets.

Then it was off to the Newark Air Museum, which is marvelous, and which has a very dangerous gift shop that's also a pretty decent model shop. Even Ced bought a Trumpeter Wyvern, and JD found a Kookaburra book on the P-40 and a Warpaint on the Canberra, and he bought me the Putnam Vickers Aircraft book. What a guy!

IMG_20191107_220821

It also had an aircraft which we may or may not be hearing about at Telford:

IMG_20191107_151331

And, based on the many flooded outdoor areas, not much in the way of drainage.

IMG_20191107_151141

Then after a long, wonderful day, we were off to Coventry, where tomorrow evening we'll pick up Navy Bird, and my reign as Shotgun King in the car will come to an end.

IMG_20191107_161915

• Like 19

39 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Then after a long, wonderful day, we were off to Coventry, where tomorrow evening we'll pick up Navy Bird, and my reign as Shotgun King in the car will come to an end.

Sounds like you boys are having a great time!

Hope you'll find time to visit the Midland Air Museum in Baggington during your time in Coventry? More Vulcan action if you do (inc the possibility of a cockpit tour) as well as Argosy, Canberra, Lightning et al. Ooh and lots of lovely models on display in the museum & for sale in the shop. 

Edge who lives minutes from Baggington in Royal Leamington Spa! what what old chap!

• Like 1

Just now, Edge said:

Hope you'll find time to visit the Midland Air Museum in Baggington during your time in Coventry? More Vulcan action if you do (inc the possibility of a cockpit tour) as well as Argosy, Canberra, Lightning et al. Ooh and lots of lovely models on display in the museum & for sale in the shop. 

We're extremely close to Midland right now, and that's on the docket for tomorrow after yet another hearty, artery-clogging breakfast.

• Like 1

Glad you are having an educational journey, are you going anywhere in God's own county (at least that what it is to its inhabitants) otherwise known as Yorkshire? 

• Like 1

Apologies chaps, I’m having huge problems with the hotel’s WiFi:

49032341622_e204e7ef54_z.jpg

Never seen that before. 
If I stand on a stool by the window I can just about get a 4G signal so I’ll just post a couple of ‘must see’ pictures until I get to somewhere with better comms.

Proof:

49025060213_e3d7ac8efe_z.jpg

Newarks drainage has been highjacked by a car storage place so PC considered drastic measures to get photos of the Vulcan’s rear end:

49032133481_19e911a9f6_z.jpg

More later, with luck...

• Like 10

Another who is following this thread with interest! Sounds like a real tour de force of museums and breakfast eateries!

Mmm. Breakfast! *insert appropriate drooling noises here*

On 11/7/2019 at 3:15 PM, Edge said:

Hope you'll find time to visit the Midland Air Museum in Baggington during your time in Coventry? More Vulcan action if you do (inc the possibility of a cockpit tour)...

A totally recommended stop, but if you venture into the cockpit, be prepared for a long stay. The chaps there certainly know their stuff and will keep you engrossed in tales for much longer than you planned...

- am I the only one who was wondering why there are no supermarket trolleys available in Hannants? Surely this would boot sales exponentially!

• Like 2

And today I had deliveries in Cambridgeshire. One of which was the Chequers pub in Fowlmere.

The pub sign has red and white checks and the lettering, '339 FG 1944 Mustangs' on it. Some nice photographs adorn the walls inside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Fowlmere

Duxford is just down the road (Fowlmere was a satellite airfield) so I stopped off there first for a look at Sally B.

But she is in the Hangar. The No 3 engine has been refitted, and engine runs successfully carried out since I was last there a few weeks ago.

And, I drove past RAF Wyton. The Canberra on gate guard could do with a repaint if anyone has a spare weekend.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And today I had deliveries in Cambridgeshire. One of which was the Chequers pub in Fowlmere.

The pub sign has red and white checks and the lettering, 339 FG 1944 on it. Some nice photographs adorn the walls inside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Fowlmere

Duxford is just down the road (Fowlmere was a satellite airfield) so I stopped off there first for a look at Sally B.

But she is in the Hangar. The No 3 engine has been refitted, and engine runs successfully carried out since I was last there a few weeks ago.

And, I drove past RAF Wyton. The Canberra on gate guard could do with a repaint if anyone has a spare weekend.

Sounds like a great day! A good delivery location.

I remember that gate guard, probably hasn’t been painted since the cadet camp I had there in 95, from what a recall she didn’t look perfect then either

Rob

• Like 2

Hello from Telford! I finally met up with mon frere d'autre mere Stew Dapple and am thoroughly plastered thanks to the magic of multiple double scotches, so today's update is of necessity a brief one. 

We went to the Midland Air Museum and met up with @Gorby, a thoroughly nice fellow, and got to sit in their Victor cockpit section, which was amazing, and also in the Vulcan; Ced got photos of me in the bomb aimer's positions on both, and while the Vulcan had the more spacious spot, the Victor was clearly the most modern cockpit. We also met the director of the Midland Air Museum, and he (unprompted) brought out a HS.681 brochure for me to peruse; he's a very cool guy, and their Victor cockpit has to be seen to be believed. Their shop is also quite dangerous.

We then picked up Navy Bird, whose baggage was lost in transit, and then it was time to meet Stew and Jamie from Sovereign Hobbies, both of whom I'm happy to say are even more likeable in real life than online. Mrs P must never hear Jamie's accent, however. she'd melt.

Anyway, I'm frantically downing glasses of water now, and tomorrow: TELFORD!

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

Great day and now at the hotel ready for SMW tomorrow and our meet at Bill’s stand at 1300!

Meanwhile, more selfies...

49035801827_2b861d0cec_z.jpg

Great place and I’m sure PC will share the stories. He got to add to his bomb aimer certs in the Valiant

49035580871_4a8fffc739_z.jpg

... and Vulcan

49035581221_893567d9cf_z.jpg

Sorry, really hard to photograph the inside of this:

49035605486_b79b72d45f_z.jpg

I have to say this was another ‘best day’ with Barry, the Chairman and Curator, telling us stories, opening the nose on the Sea Vixen (they broke their ‘coal hole’ cable too - that’s three now) and introducing us to Gordon who has rebuilt the entire flight deck on their Valiant and took great pride in demonstrating all the knobs, switches and lights

49035129353_e380315bbf_z.jpg

...and nice to be joined by our BMer Gorby 

49035128823_19c4ab96c3_z.jpg

Well worth a visit.

• Like 21

Nice pic’s Ced! And looks like you guys had a great tour round the museum. I really enjoyed the midland air museum, loads of stuff to look through, I sat in the meteor cockpit I think! Did they have the book sale on??

did you get to have a look at the aircraft graveyard/workshop at the back? I would love to have a good look round there!

gHBGaj2.jpg

B4MWm9W.jpg

see you soon! 

Rob

• Like 11

Looks like you are having a great time. I would have liked to join you on one of your visits if just to be in the company of such accomplished BMrs. Unfortunately, we were on holiday last week, in the US paradoxically, and I'm working Monday/Tuesday next week. Rugby today so will miss you at Telford today although I'll be there tomorrow. 

Enjoy the the rest of the trip and SMW today. The Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede is hauntingly beautiful and reminds us of the supreme sacrifice that these young men made for us. It's fittingly appropriate that it is on the Heathrow flight path and you can see the aircraft take off and land from the memorial. 

• Like 4

It was an exceptionally entertaining day so thanks to Ced, Cookie and PC for lifting my mood. And a particular thanks to Ced for arraigning the cockpit tours, which were fascinating. :thumbsup2:

With us as the V bomber crew, the western world world would have nothing to fear. Although it would probably all be over by the time we managed to get ourselves into the cockpit. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2019 at 5:07 PM, Procopius said:

but we opted not to wait in what appeared to be a rather soul-crushing line to see the insides.

If you ever get a chance to go to the Seattle area, there is a Concorde at the Seattle museum of Flight that you can walk through.  Though I live on the east side of the state (with enough sand and sun to keep several Tusken Raider tribes happy), I know how to get there -- and my car fits 4...  ;) 

Edited by opus999
  • Like 3