Saunders Roe SR-177 by Freight Dog

So after a 35 year gap I decided to return to modelling. I thought I would ease my way back in by building a resin kit a material which I have never used and which left me worrying if I had bitten off more than I could chew. I neednt have worried its easy stuff to work with.

Box Art

48992325436_e2b9e301fd_c.jpgIMG_20191031_165939070 by Stuart, on Flickr

Whats in the box

48991770693_fa126f6462_c.jpgIMG_20191030_191759509 by Stuart, on Flickr

Fuselage halves superglued

48992337916_d9e6e12a1a_c.jpgIMG_20191031_114855393 by Stuart, on Flickr

Up the pipe

48992529287_1e0d3d5397_c.jpgIMG_20191031_165855316 by Stuart, on Flickr

I am dry fitting everything at the moment theres a big gap in one wing root when I have got that sorted I will post again.

• Like 18

Hi AltcarBoB, welcome back.  If you've been away for 35 years, you may have missed all of the warnings on the danger of inhaling resin dust - make sure you wear at least a decent dust mask if you're sanding or sawing as the dust can do a lot of long term damage to lungs.

Good luck with the build - looking forward to seeing progress.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Darwinism said:

Hi AltcarBoB, welcome back.  If you've been away for 35 years, you may have missed all of the warnings on the danger of inhaling resin dust - make sure you wear at least a decent dust mask if you're sanding or sawing as the dust can do a lot of long term damage to lungs.

Good luck with the build - looking forward to seeing progress.

Thanks luckily I did a fair bit of reading and have done most of the sanding in the bathroom basin. I always used to wet sand back in the day whenever possible, I always found it gave a much better finish and took less effort.

• Like 2

I glued the tail on a bit cockeyed my fault I eyeballed it and should have used a set square or something similar but its not too noticeable.

48995440322_3dc7cc1921_c.jpgIMG_20191031_201347312 by Stuart, on Flickr

One of the right hand wing locating pegs was a bit out of line so I decided to chop it off and trust to the glue. The undercarriage doors were a bit oversize so need a bit of scalpel work, of course I went a bit too far on one and a lump of filler was needed.

48995239466_eaa47752ae_c.jpgIMG_20191101_101337706 by Stuart, on Flickr

Still plenty of wet sanding to do and a few little spots of filler.

48994700368_136df965f8_c.jpgIMG_20191101_101320013 by Stuart, on Flickr

I havent decided what to hang on the wings there is a pair of Redtops and a pair of drop tanks but I quite fancy fitting a pair of sidewinders on pylons outboard of the tanks and maybe fit the Redtops in the same place as a EE Lightning carried them. Even a pair of Sparrow/Skyflash in place of the redtops. Its why I chose a what if model no one can tell me I am wrong.

• Like 8

Whats a good primer I was thinking of using a rattle can of Halfords primer suitable for use on plastic bumpers. I have a Harder and Steinbeck airbrush but I am struggling to get on with it and I think I might do better with rattle cans as I know how they work.

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im going to follow if i may. Im not very familiar with the type. Which markings were you thinking of going with ? 

I honestly have no idea at the moment I think a mid 70s RAF camo scheme probably a sqdn that in real life flew Jaguars. A 60s Alclad version is tempting and I have even been looking at Gulf War Desert Pink.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AltcarBoB said:

I honestly have no idea at the moment I think a mid 70s RAF camo scheme probably a sqdn that in real life flew Jaguars. A 60s Alclad version is tempting and I have even been looking at Gulf War Desert Pink.

Seeing as these look a bit like EE Lightnings those decal sets may work better as options ? 92 Squadron in the Solid green over aluminum looked quite good and so does say a 56 Squadron with the red/white checks on the tail and red leading edges to the wings. 111, 74, & 29 are other good options as well ? 

3 minutes ago, AltcarBoB said:

Oh dear I accidentally went on ebay and looked at 1/72 scale missiles. Now I want the whole Eduard Brassin range.

Yes that can be a bit tempting. 

31 minutes ago, AltcarBoB said:

I’ve read that Germany was interested in buying, until the program was cancelled, so maybe a Luftwaffe splinter camo?

1 hour ago, AltcarBoB said:

I agree with @Corsairfoxfourunclethat the SR 177 would have become a defence fighter so Lightning Squadron markings are more appropriate,  plus the schemes that the Lightning had from NM, Green/NM, greys and green/grey.  As for choice of missiles it depends on which time period you model it, but which ever you choose welcome back to the hobby.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

Whats a good primer I was thinking of using a rattle can of Halfords primer suitable for use on plastic bumpers. I have a Harder and Steinbeck airbrush but I am struggling to get on with it and I think I might do better with rattle cans as I know how they work.

Halfords Grey Primer will work fine, you don't need the bumper stuff. If you want to stick with rattle cans, Halford's Aluminium or Nissan Silver will do just fine.

A little inspiration for you.

864b351c-c6d1-4708-bcfa-b8ff3f66fd5b.jpg

The Maintrack vacform. The masters were reworked by Freightdog. The SR53 is the Ursus injection issue.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Halfords Grey Primer will work fine, you don't the bumper stuff. If you want to stick with rattle cans, Halford's Aluminium or Nissan Silver will do just fine.

The Army Painter primers are good too. I love them and use them a lot.

Edited by Timmas

I started using ultimate primer it’s water based ready mixed and so far goes on very easily. I’ve used it on three builds so far. I have only started airbrushing about a month ago and so far so good. I had tried and failed a number of times previously but this time I read a few books first and got a ( cheapo) double action airbrush and compressor off eBay which actually work a charm.

I have ordered a bottle of Vallejo Surface Primer and when it arrives I will have a go with my Herder & Steenberg Ultra airbrush. So far I just havent been able to do a decent spray job using it.

1 hour ago, AltcarBoB said:

I have ordered a bottle of Vallejo Surface Primer and when it arrives I will have a go with my Herder & Steenberg Ultra airbrush. So far I just havent been able to do a decent spray job using it.

Its all about practice, you want the paint thin like milk and then its just multiple light passes to build up the color. Try playing with the pressure on your compressor as well. Sooner than you think you will get it. 

Dennis

I am watching this with interest as you seem to have the recent reissue, I built the original issue earlier this year and put it on Ready for Inspection. Your kit looks a lot more cleanly moulded than my Anigrand produced original !

link to RFI here;

My kit had a lot of thin flash to get rid of before I could start building but it didnt bother me I was more worried about bubbles and pin holes of which there was luckily only one small bit of wing root that looked a bit Swiss cheesey. I think the kit reminds me of the FROG kits I used to build nearly 50 years ago, a bit crude and simplistic but with a bit of work could be made into a decent model.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

The Maintrack vacform. The masters were reworked by Freightdog. The SR53 is the Ursus injection issue.

Not quite, the kit was originally mastered from scratch by Anigrand in 2003, using the same Barry Hygate drawings that Maintrack used.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed building this kit mysellf back when it came with a vac-form canopy. I did mine as a 3 squadron machine flown by their CO

49015777912_3281d720ec.jpg

The redtops came from an modern Airfix Lightening and the decals from various sources includeing some crude diy painting for the squadron bars.

Gondor

• Like 3