Airfix Nimrod R1 - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

Resuming this build:

Airfix-Nimrod.jpg

To be completed as a 1977  R1,  in flying pose, weapons bays closed.

First a link to Mattie Bee's build, so that I can find it again

Stalled at this point - about 4 years ago, when the windscreen was less than a perfect fit.

Upper.jpg

Lower.jpg

First it needs a good wash to remove any surface contamination.

• Like 8

A bit of pre-work tonight - eve of the start day.

A good wash with sponge and soapy water.  Remove anything else with lighterfuel rag.

Removed that canopy I was dissatisfied with.

Re-opening the box, I found all my research, including a copy of IPMS mag Feb 2011,  with a Nimrod build by Keith Peckover.

Currently re=reading.

A bit of pre-work tonight - eve of the start day.

A good wash with sponge and soapy water.  Remove anything else with lighterfuel rag.

Removed that canopy I was dissatisfied with.

And a last look inside the cockpit.

101-9199.jpg

101-9200.jpg

This morning I fitted the weapons bay doors, and undercarriage doors.

101-9201.jpg

• Like 8

We're building the same.  I also had some filling and sanding to do, in the end the panels came out ok  What paint are you going to use?  Also interested to see how you paint and the light on the starboard wing.

3 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

We're building the same.  I also had some filling and sanding to do, in the end the panels came out ok  What paint are you going to use?  Also interested to see how you paint and the light on the starboard wing.

Humbrol all the way.  I don't think the R1 version has the searchlight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Humbrol all the way.  I don't think the R1 version has the searchlight.

is the R1 not the same as the Maid of Moray?  You've got the same model number as me that's all.  Dam it!  Why didn't I go with the R1!! 🤨

Edited by Andy350

On 11/6/2019 at 6:12 PM, Andy350 said:

is the R1 not the same as the Maid of Moray?  You've got the same model number as me that's all.  Dam it!  Why didn't I go with the R1!! 🤨

Airfix gave us six colour scheme options in the Nimrod kit: I can’t get at mine just now but I think the R. 1 was in the later overall grey(s) scheme.  If that’s the case the antenna fit will be vastly different to that when the jets were in the earlier Light Aircraft Grey and White scheme so check your references.  “Maid of Moray” is indeed one of the other options in the kit in the Hemp/Camouflage Beige and Light Aircraft Grey scheme.

I've got photos of pre-Falklands R1 Nimrods, and am looking at  the details.

I'm aware that aerials will be vastly different as the aircraft was developed.

I've found that R1s omitted the nose number. As for the black nose radome - well that's a sometimes, thus consult references.

• Like 2

Stalled again, which is why this thread has gone quiet for a week.

My masking of the white was a disaster.  I used old electrical insulation tape - which left adhesive all over.

Left for a week, for the paint to harden.  Rubbed over with lighter-fluid, adhesive removed, without affecting the paint.

I'm ready for decals now, and plan to start those tonight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Huge thanks to Julien for leftover serials from his Nimrod, without them this just wouldn't be possible.

Actually black serials are very easy to make on a bog standard inkjet printer and clear decal paper. All you need is a halfway decent graphics prog and ditto something like Word. Of course having the right fonts helps but I have a useful set which I can send to anybody who wants them. Alternatively at least one modeller in one of the current builds has managed to download then from the interweb.

Pete