Jaguar tail cone camera used in OP Granby?

RobStewart

I've been searching around and I saw a pic of the tail cone of a Jaguar showing the pointy tail cone end removed and a rear facing camera behind some glass.

Was that standard, and used in ops?  Would it have been used in OP Granby?

There are good 2 photos in this walkaround page:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/jaguar/jaguar_walk.shtml

spacer.png

2 hours ago, RobStewart said:

I've been searching around and I saw a pic of the tail cone of a Jaguar showing the pointy tail cone end removed and a rear facing camera behind some glass.

Was that standard, and used in ops?  Would it have been used in OP Granby?

There are good 2 photos in this walkaround page:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/jaguar/jaguar_walk.shtml

spacer.png

Rob XX108 appears to have been used heavily for weapons trials, I suspect the camera was a mod for this work. I can't see an operational use for a rear facing camera on a Jag, but I do like the sound of JohnT's idea 🙂 

spacer.png  John

• Like 2

By a strange coincidence I came across a related tale last night. I have been reading The Phantom in Focus A Navigator's Eye on Britain's Cold War Warrior by David Gledhill (Fonthill Media 2012 ISBN 978-1-78155-421-0) after a previous post about the STCAAME Phantom at Valley. On Pages 143-146 the author relates the sad tale of XV418 which was lost on 11 July 1980 while carrying out a low level 'Canadian Break' behind another Phantom (reg not given) equipped with just such a camera. This was being filmed for the BBC Documentary series Man Alive. Looking at IMDB there is a 50 minute episode titled 'Phantom' which was broadcast on 14th October 1980. Does anyone have any further information on this? The documentary was supposedly about low level flying in RAFG and would be an interesting find.