Shelf of doom rescue,....1/72nd Revell Mustang Mk.III x 2

Hiya Folks,

I have liked the scheme worn by AK-A flown by the CO of 213 Sqn in N.Africa and Italy for some time,...... and so started a couple of 1/72nd Revell Mustang`s with the idea of building one in these colours,..... however during that time I bought the 1/48th Revell kit which included the same decals for a 213 Sqn aircraft,....... so I built that instead and the small Mustangs were left gathering dust on a shelf, part painted. During a recent tidy up I decided to finish them off and here they are now,..... not my best effort,..... but they will do;

DSCF6944-NEW.jpg

213 Sqn, N.Africa and Italy;

DSCF6945-NEW.jpg

DSCF6946-NEW.jpg

DSCF6947-NEW.jpg

DSCF6948-NEW.jpg

DSCF6954-NEW.jpg

DSCF6955-NEW.jpg

19 Sqn, UK Based;

DSCF6951-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 41

In the mystifying absence of any really proper modern representation of the P-51B in 1/72, I think the Revell kit may be the best OOTB option; it doesn't require wing/fuselage kitbashing.  The wheel well and flap issues can be dismissed with some hand-waving. The cockpit isn't great, but the Coke bottle canopies tend to hide that.  They go together well and have the right shape.  

Your models look good, certainly better finished than haunting the shelf of doom.  The RAF colours are attractive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

An attractive scheme with those yellow stripes & those Revell kits still look good completed. 

Where are the decals from, on FB337?

Martin

Cheers Martin,..... the decals for FB337 come from a Hasegawa kit mate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

In the mystifying absence of any really proper modern representation of the P-51B in 1/72, I think the Revell kit may be the best OOTB option; it doesn't require wing/fuselage kitbashing.  The wheel well and flap issues can be dismissed with some hand-waving. The cockpit isn't great, but the Coke bottle canopies tend to hide that.  They go together well and have the right shape.  

Your models look good, certainly better finished than haunting the shelf of doom.  The RAF colours are attractive.

Thanks mate,....... the only thing letting the Revell kits down are their canopies as you say,.........as well as the clarity their fit isn`t great either. 

• Like 1

Nice pair, Tony!

I agree with your canopy assessment. @Jackson Duvalier: The main issues I had with the Revell kit were the bogus reinforcement straps/rivets above the undercart attachment on the upper wings, which was a postwar mod, IIRC, on restored warbirds, but the most visible flaw to me were the contours of the upper cowling, which should have been broader and flatter across the cylinder heads/exhausts, rounding at the spinner backplate. The Hasegawa  and KP kits are the only ones to get this right in 1/72 scale, as well as the venerable Monogram kit. Does not take away from the end result on your models, Tony, and for some reason, the early Mustangs always look more handsome in RAF colors (colours?) and markings! 👍

Mike

• Like 1

Nice jobs there Tony. One of these kits was my first upon my return to modelling. I didn't make any special efforts with it, some of my shades were not the best choices but I recall it went together well & I was happy with it. Not a patch on yours though. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Nice pair, Tony!

I agree with your canopy assessment. @Jackson Duvalier: The main issues I had with the Revell kit were the bogus reinforcement straps/rivets above the undercart attachment on the upper wings, which was a postwar mod, IIRC, on restored warbirds, but the most visible flaw to me were the contours of the upper cowling, which should have been broader and flatter across the cylinder heads/exhausts, rounding at the spinner backplate. The Hasegawa  and KP kits are the only ones to get this right in 1/72 scale, as well as the venerable Monogram kit. Does not take away from the end result on your models, Tony, and for some reason, the early Mustangs always look more handsome in RAF colors (colours?) and markings! 👍

Mike

Cheers Mike,....... thanks for confirming my suspicions about those reinforcing rivets on the upper wing,...... I looked at loads of photos trying to find them, to no avail,... I very nearly sanded them off and wish I had now!! I sanded the upper cowling as flat as I dared and then re scribed the detail,...... so agree with you there too. 

59 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Nice jobs there Tony. One of these kits was my first upon my return to modelling. I didn't make any special efforts with it, some of my shades were not the best choices but I recall it went together well & I was happy with it. Not a patch on yours though. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve,...... yeah nice easy kts that look OK upon completion,...... you cannot really ask for more than that I suppose mate. If Revell just put a tiny bit more effort into their research they would have some stunning kits on their hands,.....Spitfire, Mustang, Halifax spring to mind!

You will have to post yours mate? ...... Is it the one next to your hand in your photo? 

Edited by tonyot

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Is it the one next to your hand in your photo? 

Yes it is Tony, well spotted, & seeing as you asked, here it is again. My youngest wanted a Spitfire from a stand of second hand kits at the Classic Fighters airshow back in 2005 I think, they didn't have a Spit but I thought the Mustang with its Malcolm hood was a decent second. I threw it together in quick time, first build in something over 30 years & paints I'd grabbed at the LHS, I know the green was Hu 30 & the underside Hu147, almost like Sky to look at though I was aiming for a MSG type shade, goodness knows what the Ocean Grey was, it might even have been Hu 105. :)  Hard to see from there but the U\C legs are on the wrong sides. :( 

Steve.

SUC30107_zps0e78f139

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice looking RAF Warhorse. :thumbsup:

Cheers buddy!!

18 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Yes it is Tony, well spotted, & seeing as you asked, here it is again. My youngest wanted a Spitfire from a stand of second hand kits at the Classic Fighters airshow back in 2005 I think, they didn't have a Spit but I thought the Mustang with its Malcolm hood was a decent second. I threw it together in quick time, first build in something over 30 years & paints I'd grabbed at the LHS, I know the green was Hu 30 & the underside Hu147, almost like Sky to look at though I was aiming for a MSG type shade, goodness knows what the Ocean Grey was, it might even have been Hu 105. :)  Hard to see from there but the U\C legs are on the wrong sides. :( 

Steve.

SUC30107_zps0e78f139

That looks superb,..... well done mate!

• Thanks 1