AK Interactive colours

Marlin

Hi all. 
I wonder if some of you use colours from AK Interactive?
I'd like to know if they are brushable since I don't have, or use an airbrush. 
I'm in need of RAL 5008, 8008 and 7044 for an upcoming Israeli Gloster Meteor, and the Xtracolors pots I've used so far are now empty.

RCS050.jpg

https://ak-interactive.com/product/israeli-af-early-colors/

/Bosse

I'd hazard a guess no as they seem to be like AMMOMIG paints which I brought one of and found it was way too thin to brush, I may be able to provide acrylic alternatives that are brusable if you read this before i

edit: seems they do an airbrusable acrylic like AMMOMIG and a lacquer which may or may not be brushable, looks like that set is the lacquer type 

however I can offer two alternative 

RAL5008: Vallejo model colour 816

RAL8008: Vallejo model colour 983

as for the other two I've at a loss, though Vallejo do a number of pale greys that may be near enough to RAL7044

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Thanks 1

Thank's PhantomBigStu. 

Alternatives would be great. 

I've switched over from using Humbrol enamels to AKAN acrylics now. 

But the RAL colours I'm after isn't avaliable in AKAN's range.

/Bosse 

3 hours ago, Marlin said:

I wonder if some of you use colours from AK Interactive?
I'd like to know if they are brushable since I don't have, or use an airbrush.

Hi Marlin,

Depend which AK paints you mean. The ones in the image are from the Real Color line and are lacquer type paints and not really brush paintable. They need thinning with lacquer thinner, such as Mr Color self levelling, which is a solvent and will damage the surface of the kit if you're applying the paint by brush (and it'll probably wreck your brushes too).

AK's regular acrylic paint line, which comes in Vallejo style dropper bottles, is brush paintable, although I find it too thin and watery myself. AMMO is a better choice for brush painting, and Vallejo better still.

Andy:cat:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marlin said:

I just have to find some other manufacturer who does the RAL colours I'm after. 

You could try Hataka? They do an airbrush ready acrylic range (like Model Air) and a brush range (like Model Colour). The early Israeli set they make is only in the red (airbrush optimsed) range, but they should still be brushable. It would probably just require more coats.

Andy:cat:

• Thanks 1

Thanks again Andy. :D 

I've been looking at the Vallejo Model Colour range this morning in my favourite Swedish Webshop, and the have what I need in stock. 

I added some grey's to the be order that I'll try to see if one of them can be closed to RAL 7044. 

If this doesn't work I'll try the Hataka set. 

Thanks again for your help. 

/Bosse 

I got some of these a few years ago, and made the mistake (though this was on advice from AK) of using them like Tamiya. Not quite the case since they're lacquers. I've used some since, with their specific thinner. They can take a little getting used to in thinning (the only stuff I thin in the airbrush pot), but they do spray pretty nice once its down. Brush painting, I haven't tried much with them. 

Gaz