1/72 - Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II by Italeri - released

Homebee

On 31/10/2019 at 09:56, Meatbox8 said:

I wonder if they've stolen a march on Airfix.   As the type is coming on stream with the RAF and RN I would have thought it is just a matter of time before Airfix produced a kit. 

You can't Lidar a stealth jet!  :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not too sure about that.  I live about seven miles from RAF Marham.  Marham are supposed to have been flying this jet for a year now but I have never, ever seen one...

Maybe they can switch stealth mode on and off, like Thunderbird 1...  :fool: 

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2019 at 7:10 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm not too sure about that.  I live about seven miles from RAF Marham.  Marham are supposed to have been flying this jet for a year now but I have never, ever seen one...

Maybe they can switch stealth mode on and off, like Thunderbird 1...  :fool: 

It's the special chemtrail they spray as they fly. It makes you forget they were ever there...:ghost:

• Haha 3

I must admit  I was quite looking forward to this release particularly from a detail point of view BUT I doubt I'll be bothering now that I've seen the ridiculously overdone RAM panels! In this scale ( and probably indeed 1/48th) they are just not that pronounced and I think just the thickness of the decal should be sufficient...?.  http://www.hyperscale.com/2019/reviews/accessories/italerif35bpreview_1.htm. To my eyes they're far too thick and also, why the flat tyres?  Such a shame! Heres a couple of shots from RIAT 3 years ago...

I know they could all be sanded off but I doubt it would look any good would it? And with a price tag of £30.... 

49148215418_8c42c0fd99_b.jpgIMG_9396

49148915047_efe64275c4_b.jpgIMG_9400

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 2

I was very disappointed as well.

It would have been the first series production F-35B that can be built in VTOL mode, with the inner weapon bays door open as recirculation barriers.

However the retaining wall like rendition of the RAM panels, the built-in weapon bays and other rough details will keep me from buying it.

Typical Italian half bottom job.

Tamiya is to rebox - ref. 60791 - Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II

Sources: 

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/172-aircraft/172-f-35b-lightning-ii/

https://www.facebook.com/TamiyaUSA/posts/10157600612162874

Coming soon!

The F-35 Lightning II is a state-of-the-art multi-role stealth fighter developed by Lockheed Martin for the U.S. military and selected allies. It includes new packaging, instruction manual, Tamiya figure and the choice of building it with open or closed canopy parts.

60791 Tamiya Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II

118272507-10157600610777874-493775113350

118321013-10157600610757874-655749383582

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Tamiya is the best box art of this variant in 1/72 thus far, regarding the Italeri kit itself - would only buy it for the bomb cart and perhaps the decals...as I consider the Academy offering as the most accurate thus far...a real pity Tamiya did not release their own tooling though.

Regarding Tamiya rebox - if Tamiya do a nice pilot figure - I might just be tempted to fork out as I do like the box art as well!

Tamiya has an indicated price of $55 USD for this kit, hopefully the price comes down when the re-sellers receive them, UnLucky Model recently had the Italeri kit on sale for $16.99 USD

So for the best parts (subjective of course but my take anyway):

Academy for the aircraft and various options for STOVL mode and open bomb bay, weapons load including gun pod (curiously they left pilot figure out though they have one in their F-35A kit - go figure, pun intended ! )

Hasegawa or (Tamiya when released) for the pilot figure or any Academy or Hasegawa F-35A,  and any aftermarket resin jobs? 

Fujimi for the complete engine though curiously they don't include an engine trolley like they used to in their F-14 kits.

Italeri for the bomb trolley.

Tamiya for the box art by a mile...

Decals plenty choose from now... take your pick.

An Orange Hobby F-35B is supposed to be in the works in 1/72 ... and am pretty certain Airfix will give it go at some stage in the future if they are still around.

To my knowledge no manufacturer has come out with an option for the pilot boarding ladder and open hatch which would be a very nice option 

spacer.png

• Like 1

With regards to the price tag, Tamiya really produces these for their home market so you pay the crazy Tamiya/Haseagawa import prices in Europe. But it's not really relevant in this case as you might as well get the Italeri kit, which can be had for less than 2 tenners. You only miss out on the pilot figure but who uses these anyway ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sroubos said:

You only miss out on the pilot figure but who uses these anyway ;)

Not this guy anyway! 😂. Crew figures, if provided, are first into the bin!

Allan

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Not this guy anyway! 😂. Crew figures, if provided, are first into the bin!

Allan

True ! You give them a perfectly serviceable aircraft and they will break it. Aircraft engineer for 45 years plus, military and airliners 👍😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would say no. There are multiple paint mixes that claim to mimic Have Glass but having used one (Hataka) and seen others I don't find any of them convincing. Most over-emphasize the metallic sheen.

In my F-35 build I have repainted my kit three times (Hataka, my own mix and finally straight up normal 36118). You can read all about my trials and tribulations and my rationale for picking 36118 in my RFI thread on the build:

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Mission modles 

Having used mission models on a failed build (fell on the canopy) I think that might be the best of the shelf one 

Thanks!  I remember reading somewhere that someone mixed their own shade that did vary in tone and shade depending on the lighting conditions like the real thing.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II by Italeri - released - new boxing in 2023
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II by Italeri - released