Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This aircraft depicts that of Capt Ted Lines, 335th FS/4th FG.8th AF.. Capt. Lines is officially credited with ten victories, however, examination of combat reports indicates that he actually destroyed 14. These victories included four in one day. He had been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Distinguished Flying Cross with one Oak Leaf Cluster, and the Air Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters

Overall a very nice kit with the exception of the individual microscopic MGs and wing-tip lights. For the Interior Green I used a Tamiya mix of Yellow XF-3, Green XF-5 2/1. The photo shows the mix compared to Gunze Sangyo Interior Green which I was unaware I had. The exterior colours were, for the wings, Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminum. The moving surfaces were sprayed Vallejo 77.707 Chrome over the plastic and the fuselage was sprayed with the same paint over Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss Black

 

img_0001-jpg.558796

 

img_0002-jpg.558797

 

img_0003-jpg.558798

 

img_0004-jpg.558799

 

img_0005-jpg.558800

 

img_0006-jpg.558801

 

blackadder57_191030_5db9d96fb3ac2.jpg?15

  • Like 24
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Superb looking Mustang, I have a couple of these kits in the stash, I just hope they come out as good as yours. :thumbsup:

 

2 hours ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

 

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

How nice to see a P-51 on which the different suface treatments are clearly discernible!

 

Beautiful work.

 

Kind regards,

 

Joachim

Thank you very much gentlemen

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

She looks good!  Mixed interior greens based on zinc chromate are the way to go, it conveys the variations in the actual finishes rather than just being one colour repeated on every part of every aircraft.

 

I get a really grainy finish when I spray Tamiya Aluminium.  Any tricks you can share?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

She looks good!  Mixed interior greens based on zinc chromate are the way to go, it conveys the variations in the actual finishes rather than just being one colour repeated on every part of every aircraft.

 

I get a really grainy finish when I spray Tamiya Aluminium.  Any tricks you can share?

I have not tried this myself with Tamiya Flat Aluminum, but you might try using either Tamiya Lacquer Thinner or Gunze Leveling Thinner, the latter is what many folks consider magical when used.  I use Leveling Thinner with my Gunze Lacquer colors and those come out fantastic.  I've read posts by many people that say that Tamiya, as good as it is with their acrylic thinner, sprays even better with lacquer thinner.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

She looks good!  Mixed interior greens based on zinc chromate are the way to go, it conveys the variations in the actual finishes rather than just being one colour repeated on every part of every aircraft.

 

I get a really grainy finish when I spray Tamiya Aluminium.  Any tricks you can share?

Thank you. All I really do is shake the bejaysus out of the bottle. If I haven't used it for a while I'll shake it for about an hour.....thank God for internet

1 hour ago, Curt B said:

I have not tried this myself with Tamiya Flat Aluminum, but you might try using either Tamiya Lacquer Thinner or Gunze Leveling Thinner, the latter is what many folks consider magical when used.  I use Leveling Thinner with my Gunze Lacquer colors and those come out fantastic.  I've read posts by many people that say that Tamiya, as good as it is with their acrylic thinner, sprays even better with lacquer thinner.

I'm trying to stay away from anything non-acrylic. Nothing to do with health unless you count the Vice-Admiral in Charge of My Life threatening to kill if I spray odors around. I have a spray booth but its just to catch the acrylic over spray

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice. Superbly done.

Suitably dirty.

 

On 10/31/2019 at 6:25 AM, fubar57 said:

The photo shows the mix compared to Gunze Sangyo Interior Green which I was unaware I had

It's always the same old story. Find something after the fact.  :wall:

 

Great job

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...