Matilda- 42nd RTR. Battle of the Omars

GRK

Hi all

Following on from my Tamiya Matilda build I've now finished the diorama. This is again my first proper attempt at a diorama so I've kept it pretty basic. I've used plaster of paris for the basic groundwork along with the woodland scenic rock moulds. I've then scattered some woodland scenic ballast, which seemed to be a pretty good reflection of the Libyan desert at 1/35 scale. Then I've just finished it off with a black base coat, followed on by Tamyia desert yellow and buff with  progressively more white added into the buff for the highlights.

IMG_1034-2

IMG_1032-2

IMG_1031-2

IMG_1030-2

IMG_1035-2

IMG_1036-2

And one with some low morning light to cast some nice desert shadows on a cold Oct day in Preston!

Edited by GRK
pics
  • Like 28

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nicely done Matilda ! :thumbsup:.... Always did like the Caunter scheme. 

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with the overall result. I'll be more creative on the diorama for my next one!

• Like 1

Hi GRK,

I see you've taken the shine off your figures. It's made a huge difference, for the better.

Your diorama base is a great home for your Matilda. The rocks and grit look really excellent, though maybe there could be a little more sand. Drifted sand would be especially effective.

For a first AFV and diorama, it's a resounding success.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Badder said:

I see you've taken the shine off your figures. It's made a huge difference, for the better.

Yes I gave them all another coat of matt. Thanks for the suggestion, they look much better. 

Would you just use sand and then a light coat of buff?

2 hours ago, GRK said:

Yes I gave them all another coat of matt. Thanks for the suggestion, they look much better. 

Would you just use sand and then a light coat of buff?

I'd use real sand, the finer the better for this scale. TBH I'd have a practice fixing it in place. 

I'd consider sprinkling it on all over and then blowing from one direction to get it to drift naturally into nooks and crannies, and build up in banks against rocks etc. Then I might try fixing it all with thin CA, or dilute PVA and sprinkle more on top before it all sets. Another way would be to decant hairspray lacquer from the can and dribble that over your sand and when dry give a spray with matt varnish.

Then there's doing it the opposite way around. Spray, brush or dribble your fixative on first, tilt the base and get it to flow into the nooks and crannies and up against rocks and THEN sprinkle your sand on. Probably that'd be quicker, but maybe not so realistic.

Certainly dry-brushing with paler colours wouldn't do any harm.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

On 01/11/2019 at 08:44, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The painting and diorama base looks superb. Also I love the colors - it’s very pleasing to my eyes.

Thanks Nikolay

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...