Construction site equipment

armored76

Hello,

I've seen some very well done builds of cranes and other construction site equipment lately and I was wondering what the options for building such kits would be.

I found a few resin upgrade kits from Balaton, Miniman and Red Iron but they are all on the expensive side, especially in 1/35. There are also some very interesting AVD kits in 1/43 but they seem impossible to get outside Russia which would put another 15 Euro or so o shipping costs on top of the already pricey (in my eyes, for this scale) kit.

Is there really no alternative to resin and exotic manufacturers? Please give me hope :)

Thanks!

Cristian

I have the Hasegawa 1/35 Astaco Neo double arm working machine in stash.  Very nice looking kit too, the jibs and grab/cutter are fully posable, tracks & hydraulic hoses are rubber too. very detailed cab interior complete with lady driver. 

• Thanks 1

Forgot to say that there are a couple of recent 'militarised' versions of construction equipment in 1/35th :

Meng do a Caterpillar D9R with and without slat armour. Got one of those in my stash.

and

Panda Models do a JCB HMEE-1 Excavator. Not got one yet, but that may change once SMW starts 🙂

Haven't looked into de-militarising either of them, but it may be feasible.

Kev

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, modelman182 said:

Haven't looked into de-militarising either of them, but it may be feasible.

There's a 3d printed civil cab conversion for Meng's D9 available. It looks pretty good, too.

https://firecatdesigns.com/1%2F35th-scale-equipment

I haven't looked into the JCB.

Edit:

http://www.panzershop.cz/inshop/

have a range of conversions for various Soviet tank- and truck-based construction type equipment, some of which has seen post-Soviet use in civilian hands. Might be worth a look and some research.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, armored76 said:

Nice one, Gordon! Are these kits any good quality-wise? I formed an "old and rough" image about AMT kits, for whatever reason.

I suppose they were okay for their time, which was 1970s/'80s but might need a lot of work if your standards are high. 

7 hours ago, armored76 said:

The PanzerShop stuff is really great but those prices :o

Well yeah, but it's not injection moulded, 10, 000 a day stuff, is it? Someone made masters, set up moulds and hand casts the bits, all of which takes skill, time and commitment. Personally, I'm hoping to pick up at least one set from them at SMW next weekend, but it's a subject that I'm rather keen on and will NEVER have the time, skill or references to make from scratch. To me, the product is value for money. To you, it may not be. Of course, given my propensity to buy more than I can ever build, someone will most likely have to throw into the tip when I drop off the perch at some later date. Ho hum.

Re the AMT D8H. From what I recall, it's actually not too bad. Nowhere near modern kits, of course, but a long way better than a disaster. With a bit of work, it can be quite presentable and it's big enough to show off added detail. There's YouTube videos of it if you'd like a closer look.

11 hours ago, Rob G said:

There's a 3d printed civil cab conversion for Meng's D9 available. It looks pretty good, too.

https://firecatdesigns.com/1%2F35th-scale-equipment

I haven't looked into the JCB.

Edit:

http://www.panzershop.cz/inshop/

have a range of conversions for various Soviet tank- and truck-based construction type equipment, some of which has seen post-Soviet use in civilian hands. Might be worth a look and some research.

Thanks for that info, Rob - saves me a bit of research.

Kev

• Like 1

• 1 month later...