Bristol M.1D racer - Avis 1/72 injected plastic kit

The kit decals are well printed and the white is fortunately opaque.
Just a couple of notes: as with all good thin decals, careful handling is a must.
Folding and cracking are just a minute little tug or hesitation ahead.
I managed to break one letter but was able to fix it.
As you can see Avis incorrectly "fused" with the carrier the small "G" that go on the tail feathers on both sides.
Easily solved cutting the individual subjects apart:

IMG_6909+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Better apply the decals first and then do the rigging:

IMG_6911+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A small disc of aluminium foil is applied to the front in the guise of a firewall, perforated in the middle to allow the engine to be later inserted:

IMG_6912+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7

More decaling, and more rigging. I had one more issue with the decals: the last letter of one side registration basically disintegrated, but leaving the carrier, that is, the white ink partially lifted from the image due possibly to some carrier contamination at the moment of printing.
Since spares are only supplied for the number 2 and the Bristol legend (something I will never understand, especially with this type of very delicate decals) I will try to write to Avis (if I can find their contact info, which is not provided on the box or instructions, and I can't find on the Net) and ask for a spare.

The exhaust lip of the cowl is treated with some pertinent hues of Rub'nBuff:

IMG_6915+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Does anyone have the contact info for Avis?

The only email address I was able to find is that of a distributor in Poland (on the box) but no direct email address.

• Like 6

OK, change of plans: I have found a couple of racing numbers 4 among my spare decals, therefore I will be doing that version -for which I got a few photos during research, so my model will vary a little from others, hopefully adding some interest.

I also used a bit of a spare white decal to repair the crumbled P.

The remaining stretch involves adding the 6 exhaust elbows and the 2 long exhausts that meet the newly-made intake bellow the fuselage, and adding the prop and Pitot.

• Like 3

I'm still here, it's too far and too uncomfortable [unless cashed-up to fly business class] to make the trip to one of my bucket list events.

After having last year again endured the 27 hours it takes to fly from Oz, sitting next to overweight people who want half of my seat as well as their own, I've decided that further visits to the land of my birth are well and truly behind me.

Sad, as there's heaps I  still want to see. 

• Haha 1

I'm at Telford, but still managed to pop in! She's looking great!

It's been a great weekend by the way, with lots of faces added to names. Well worth the trip. Even more so as I won a totally unexpected Gold for the Donnet-Leveque!

😁

Ian

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 10:22 PM, roginoz said:

After having last year again endured the 27 hours it takes to fly from Oz,

Oh, my.

It's the same total hours, door-to-door, that flying from LA to Buenos Aires.

Now I rather pay my sons' air-fare, after so many flights of having to use a permanent marker on arrival.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:22 PM, roginoz said:

sitting next to overweight people who want half of my seat

Luxury! if you want to know the meaning of horror, try sitting next to Argentinians! You will want do a Cooper and abandon the plane via parachute mid-flight.

• Haha 1

The cowl is on, as well as all the decals and rigging:

IMG_6921+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_6922+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The elbows are replaced with soldering wire:

IMG_6923+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A mix of waxes is used to color the exhaust parts:

IMG_6924+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

All exhaust bits in place:

IMG_6925+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The new, correct exhaust and carb air intake arrangement can be seen here:

IMG_6926+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The axle that protrudes from the engine and goes in to the prop ended up short on my model and it was wobbly, so check yours if you are building this kit.

You will have to rig:

6 lengths of tail control wires

6 lengths that rig the tail feathers

8 double flying wires under the wings

4 landing wires on the wing

4 aileron control cables

2 landing gear cross wires

• Like 4

After making those laminated wood props with the photo-etched boss, photos showed -as explained somewhere on the thread- that the images with spinner show a dark prop where lamination isn't distinguishable, so I reverted back to the kit's prop.

Many photos show the lighter-colored laminated prop with boss, no spinner, so it's up to you to chose how you represent the model, but be sure to correlate the details -like prop and tail number.

Again, as explained somewhere up the thread, the rudder could have either a "G", the race number 2, the race number 4, or nothing whatsoever, depending on the time the photo was taken.

IMG_6927+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_6929+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Hopefully I will be seeing you soon when I do the photo session and post it at the Completed Model section.

Cheers

• Like 9

Hey Moa that is beautiful work man! Beautifully done!

Yes I was at Telford after a day long journey we arrived on Friday after 250 km by car, then Le Shuttle under the channel and another 400 od km in the UK to the hotel in Telford. But it was all worth it 😅 Only I could not resist buying some kits.. too many..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lightpainter said:

Hey Moa that is beautiful work man! Beautifully done!

Yes I was at Telford after a day long journey we arrived on Friday after 250 km by car, then Le Shuttle under the channel and another 400 od km in the UK to the hotel in Telford. But it was all worth it 😅 Only I could not resist buying some kits.. too many..

I admire your commitment.

The only modeling event I attended in my life was the US IPMS Nationals in Anaheim many years ago.

It was a 1 hour trip from where we live, and at the limit of the driving radius I would do for anything.

I regretted it utterly. The traditional California parking stress. Too many people. Too much bad food.

But I found a lovely couple of adorable seniors at a table selling what seemed to be his old collection of vac kits.

And I found many treasures for 1 dollar!

It was there that I also bough my Mattel Psychedelic Vac-u-form Machine, used, but in mint condition.

The things we do.

2 hours ago, Unkempt said:

Beautiful work, as per usual. I've got to be honest, I left the windscreen off mine because I just couldn't make it out on the photos I was looking at...

Well, put it on! 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moa said:

The only modeling event I attended in my life was the US IPMS Nationals in Anaheim many years ago.

Oh, say it ain't so!  I've been to a couple of them, and they're generally pretty good.  Yes, Anaheim had some issues (why pay for admission when you can walk in for FREE! door policy was one of them), but you can't blame Orange County IPMS for wanting to hold the event in Orange County!

13 hours ago, Moa said:

I regretted it utterly. The traditional California parking stress. Too many people. Too much bad food.

You should have contracted with a local guide who could have steered you away from the parking stress (Brookhurst even ran a shuttle van), and guided you to the good restaurants.  Someone who grew up in Garden Grove, and knows all the shortcuts thru Anaslime.  Only thing I can suggest about the peeps is to close your eyes and silently hum Andrew Lloyd Webber tunes to yourself......

ps.  For those who arn't familiar with SoCal, here's a tidbit.  The Anaheim Police Department's unofficial motto is "Guarding The Rat".  There's a Orwellian mind set that infects most of the staff of all hotels, motels, and convention facilities that "Everything here is just fine!  Nothing bad is happening.  Believe us, as we are telling you that it is the case.  No one stole your parking space.  You were not cut off in traffic, you were just too early to your intersection meeting.  After all, this is the happiest........." you get the idea.  It's not a thing that everyone picks up on, and yes, I still try to go to Disneyland at least once a year.  They still have a choo-choo after all.

• Haha 2

I used to go the Model engineering exhibition in Wembley every year with my dad during the eighties. Most of what Moa    doesn't like is what I loved, the crowds the bar food. It was before I’d even heard of the internet ( it was probably still Arpanet then) and although there were many model shops here at the time, they tended to only stock mainstream kits and very few tools/product, so the array of stuff available was amazing plus I always felt there was a bit of a buzz around the thing.

I’m assuming that Telford is pretty much the same thing and am hoping to get to see it next year. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 17:31, Moa said:

Say hi to the usual BM suspects.

You could even print our photo portraits and wear them randomly as face masks so other BMs would known how we look and we could brag that we were at Telford.

I think that I might have some difficulty disguising myself as Sarah-Jane, either the car or the Doctor Who character! Too many tentacles for a start. Never mind, people still managed to identify me.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1