Best T-80 kit in 1/35

stalal

If any of you know which is the best T-80 kit in 1/35. I m particularly interested in T-80U, the turbine engined version. 

There are several choices in the market - some variants from Trumpeter and a T-80U from a  new entrant RPG-Model.

I m looking for detail, quality of surface detail and how easy the kit goes together, 

On 10/30/2019 at 8:44 AM, stalal said:

I m looking for detail, quality of surface detail and how easy the kit goes together,

I am currently building the Xact Scale T-80U and I have to say that the detail is quite good but there are some quirks to the build (such as no pins to mount the wheels and the front mud flap is a bit fiddly) but nothing that can’t be over-come and I have set myself a bit of a challenge in building a South Korean version, the tracks were fun having to fit two track pads to each individual link and I am about to start on the rather jerry built turret baskets.  But having said that the Xact kit is difficult to find, therefore the only real choices at present are the RPG and Trumpeter kits.

So back to your requirements, quality of surface detail and how easy the kit goes together; are mutually exclusive with these kits, for instance the Trumpeter kit lacks the very prominent turret wiring (however this is not a big fix issue, a bit of fuse wire and a drill) but the RPG kit has a lot of smaller photo etch parts.

The RPG kit has individual links that look like a snap to put together while the Trumpeter has individual links but having attempted to put Trumpeter links together in the past, I automatically purchase a set of Fruilmodel or similar.

And I love the look of the rubber work for the mud and track guards that RPG provide.

To help you make a better-informed decision, view what you are going to get (such as the parts) and evaluate the ease of construction plus level of detail kits see the following:

RPG (after loading hit the List All Images)

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10559376/10/1

Trumpeter

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10549106

I think either kit would be good but personally I am going to purchase the RPG kit because I think it is the better of the two but this is not to say that the Trumpeter kit is bad, to me it’s just not as good, however you should choose which to get in line with what you think is better.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

6 hours ago, demiles said:

I am currently building the Xact Scale T-80U and I have to say that the detail is quite good but there are some quirks to the build (such as no pins to mount the wheels and the front mud flap is a bit fiddly) but nothing that can’t be over-come and I have set myself a bit of a challenge in building a South Korean version, the tracks were fun having to fit two track pads to each individual link and I am about to start on the rather jerry built turret baskets.  But having said that the Xact kit is difficult to find, therefore the only real choices at present are the RPG and Trumpeter kits.

So back to your requirements, quality of surface detail and how easy the kit goes together; are mutually exclusive with these kits, for instance the Trumpeter kit lacks the very prominent turret wiring (however this is not a big fix issue, a bit of fuse wire and a drill) but the RPG kit has a lot of smaller photo etch parts.

The RPG kit has individual links that look like a snap to put together while the Trumpeter has individual links but having attempted to put Trumpeter links together in the past, I automatically purchase a set of Fruilmodel or similar.

And I love the look of the rubber work for the mud and track guards that RPG provide.

To help you make a better-informed decision, view what you are going to get (such as the parts) and evaluate the ease of construction plus level of detail kits see the following:

RPG (after loading hit the List All Images)

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10559376/10/1

Trumpeter

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10549106

I think either kit would be good but personally I am going to purchase the RPG kit because I think it is the better of the two but this is not to say that the Trumpeter kit is bad, to me it’s just not as good, however you should choose which to get in line with what you think is better.

Hope this helps

Very very nice. Thank you so much. The kind of advice I was looking for. 

• 1 month later...