Joe's Backyard Paradise-Progress-08/11

I entered this build in a competition in another forum but thought I'd post it here just to spread the fun a little bit. I needed something to show some progress of my automotive builds anyways. I don't know how far I'll go with it but we'll start basic and see what happens.

I started off with this Antique Garage Set and really don't know what I was expecting but the wood floor looks too new and the side walls were the same way. All laminated card stock spacer.pngI know better. Anyways , here's the garage kit:

spacer.png

and then we'll throw a few shop tools in from this kit:

spacer.png

I'll be replacing the useless flooring in this kit with some fancyfied tile and some updated walls. The tile that'll be cut down to fit the base without all that "foo-foo" border of course.

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 3

Technically this is cheating but I'm making a change or so to it. I picked this tool box up from Ebay:

spacer.png

However I did NOT like the molded in tools and I'm not a big fan of a "hutch" installed on the tops of these style of boxes. To begin with the kit supplied tool box I 1.) don't like that style of box and 2) it aint a Snap-On box and 3.) I cannot stand those molded in tools as it looks waaaay cheap. I like the "taco wagon" style boxes so this was the only one I saw that was a Snap-On box so I set out to make a change. I cut the hutch off and sanded the top of the box smooth so one couldn't tell there was ever a hutch there to begin with.

spacer.png

I'll be placing a laptop on the top of the box along with a bag and drink from a local burger joint to start with. I may put a tool or two on top as well. I might place either a mat or a stainless steel top on it too. I'll see what I can come up with. Stay tuned......

• Like 5

Good stuff. Looks like it's going to be lots of detailing, which is always good. BTW, whoever thought that wooden floorboards and wall panels would be a good idea in a motor workshop?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Thanks for following along guys. I saw an old barnhouse diorama one time that had wooden flooring and walls but the thing that throws me off about the whole box art with this particular one was the heater.....in an old wooden structure like that? 

I got the black top cut, painted and applied to the top of the tool box. I also got my laptop painted and applied BMF in the areas where the "intel inside" and "Dell" stickers were below the keyboard. I took a picture of a screensaver on my "real" laptop that has my favorite photo of my wife and son at the beach here in Corpus , sized it down to 2% and printed it on photo paper then cut it out and adhered it to the laptop monitor then glued that to the top of the tool box. I also cut out, folded and glued the paper bag for the burgers and fries together and glued that to the top of the box. Burgers, fries and some tools coming soon........

spacer.png

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Badder said:

Brilliant.

I love super-detailing like this. More please!

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder. I've had these kits in the stash now for decades and wanted to build them that long ago but lacked the skills necessary to make it any where near realistic. Hopefully I'll have learned enough to pull this off the way I want to now.

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

I got through with the tool box as of this morning with the addition of the burgers and fries. Had to play around with the color for a while on the buns, meat patty and fries till I got what shade I liked. I applied a subtle wash from Mig Productions on the fries to help bring the detail out some and to give them a true "fries" look. So far I'm good with this:

spacer.png

• Like 3

Again, great stuff Mustang!

I do question a car mechanic having a car magazine and a family photo on a laptop though..... something more 'feminine' would be my expectation!

As is usual with your 'class' of diorama builder, I am left wondering as to how you make some of the details... such as the burger, chips, coke and packaging... or do you buy them as a kit? 

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder. 

LOL! When I was younger I already had all that stuff on my real tool boxes. With a family I don't display that stuff loosely anymore. lol 

Walls are coming together and I've got a couple of more things done here. The welder I've actually had about 80% completed for years now and didn't realize that until I opened the box up again for the first time in like...........a decade. I just finished the engine stand and am now working on the shop desk. Right now that doesn't have anything on it but I'm working on painting up a camera, then there'll be a coffee pot and a couple of cups and some other miscellaneous things on there. I added a couple of items in there just for fun. The floor will eventually get "dirtied up" to look like a fairly well worn floor.

spacer.png

And here's the desk and chair that I've been working on for the last week. I ended up building the resin coffee pot kit that I had, the camera came from the Fujimi tools kit as did the chair. Coffee cup is resin and was cleaned up and drilled out. Coffee can is also a resin kit. I felt something was missing from the desk top so I've got a microwave kit coming and will probably put a piece of notebook paper and a pencil on the desktop as well.

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 10:42 AM, mustang1989 said:

Thanks for following along guys. I saw an old barnhouse diorama one time that had wooden flooring and walls but the thing that throws me off about the whole box art with this particular one was the heater.....in an old wooden structure like that? 

since the '50s, almost every summer house in the neighborhood had a heater like that. when the owner decided to rent out to college students, it was the least expensive way to provide year 'round accommodations.

• Like 1

Just imagine living in a wooden framed house with wattle and daub walls and nothing for lighting and heating and cooking but candles and wood/coal burning fires and stoves. What were these people thinking? It would take just one careless - let's say London baker - to burn down most of his city.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

LOL! Thanks for the comments guys.

It's been a while since I've posted any real progress on this so I'll catch this thread up to speed.  I got my shelves painted and assembled but still have to do some touch up and a light wash to bring all the details out. I think I'm going to loose the welder for this diorama because it's already going to be cluttered enough in here as I've got some more things to put in there that would be more conducive to a backyard garage. I also reshot the legs of the chair with a little darker shade of gray because the light gray just didn't look right to me.

Overall progress:

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken steps to dirty the floor up some and weather the walls slightly. This week I've been working on shop clean up equipment. I managed to assemble the push broom, paint and weather it and did the same to the trash can, dust pan and brush. I found some tissue paper with some writing on it wadded up and thrown in the trash can for an added touch.

spacer.png

• Like 2

I've also got the walls free standing now with nothing propping them up. The more I looked at the whole shop floor and walls , the more I felt the need to grime it up just a tad. I didn't want it nasty, just used somewhat. So I used some ground up black and a little brown pastels and rubbed in some brown to dirty it and smudged some in the window sill and framing for the dust effect. I hit the areas directly behind the work bench and on the sides of the door entrance with some rubbed in black pastel. I'll be working on the door and putting some other goodies on the walls in addition to panel close outs at the top and end edges of the walls as well.

Here's a top side view so far:

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks. I've been rackin' my brain trying to figure out two of my problems with this build. First off , the floor was just too dang clean. I tried dirtying up the paper based flooring with ground up brown and black pastel rubbed into the flooring but it wasn't enough. As you all know, it would just rub off. Then my thoughts turned to some 1000 grit sandpaper.  . Now that............might just work. So I started on the first two rows of tile and lo and behold.........it was just what I wanted!!

You can see the difference between the first two rows and the rest of the flooring in the following photo:

spacer.png

So I sanded the whole floor and put some more "dirt and grime" on the walls:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is also going to be an "inside" display with the only outside reference being seen through the window in the back of the shop so I had to put terminating ends on the sides and tops of the walls. I was at odds on how to accomplish that until this morning. I grabbed some black Evergreen styrene sheets that I had and started measuring, cutting and gluing.

Before:

spacer.png

and after (I'll be installing a door to hide the doorway wall innards):

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5