This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Baggers

Southern Expo 2020 - March 28th & 29th

Dear all

I'm pleased to announce the dates for the Southern Expo model show for 2020

Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th March 2020

Sadly this will be our last show at Hornchurch as the centre we host in is being replaced with a new one which has a much smaller hall (half the size), we’ve looked for other suitable venues and at the moment haven’t been able to find anything, so we will be drawing the show to a close for the foreseeable future.

The show will be held at the Hornchurch Sports Centre, Harrow Lodge Park, Hornchurch Road, Hornchurch, Essex, RM11 1JU

10am to 5pm Saturday & 10am to 4pm Sunday

Entry: Adults £3.00, Children £1 & Senior Citizens  £2

Open Competition (Sunday only) – the Senior competition is being sponsored by Models For Sale (http://www.modelsforsale.com)

All proceeds will be donated to St Francis Hospice.  The 2019 show raised a total of £3,000.

For further details

Visit the website at          http://www.southernexpo.co.uk/

Or email us at                  SouthernExpo@tiscali.co.uk

Sad to hear that this could be the last Southern Expo for a while. It's one of the oldest established model shows on the calendar. Hopefully, it will re-emerge in some form eventually.

On 10/30/2019 at 8:11 AM, Eric Mc said:

Sad to hear that this could be the last Southern Expo for a while. It's one of the oldest established model shows on the calendar. Hopefully, it will re-emerge in some form eventually.

Yes indeed. One of my favourite shows and I think our club has done every one since it started right back to the few years at Mitcham. Be sad to see it go.......😢

On 10/30/2019 at 8:11 AM, Eric Mc said:

Very sad.  Haven't actually been for a few years now but for me it was always the Other Big Show, the counterbalance at the other end of the year to the Nats, and well worth attending.  Thanks to the organisers past and present for many happy hours spent.

I only ever went to it twice - once in 1990 and again this year. The only reason I didn't go too often is because out of deference to a harmonious home life I always rationed my model show visits to about four a year. Sadly, as some of you might know, my wife passed away earlier in the year and as part of my coping technique I decided to try to get to more model shows. Southern Expo was my first for 2019 and I really enjoyed it.

That is a shame. I always enjoy going each year and it is deservedly popular. It's the only show I attend.

As I'm 'local' to the area I'll keep an eye out for any venues that might be worth mentioning to you.

I contacted one of the organisers just over a week ago to ask the very same question, and this was the reply;

Thanks for your email, at present we still plan to go ahead, however that could change nearer the time depending on the advice from the Sports Centre or the Government.

Regards

Peter

Southern Expo Show Organiser

Given the way things are changing rapidly, I very much doubt whether this show will proceed.

John.

Following todays government accouncement about public gatherings, I cannot see how this show, sadly, can go ahead? 

I for one am cancelling my annual leave day that I had booked for the Saturday. 

Sadly Southern Expo will be cancelled.

It is not something we wanted to happen but as we've all noticed events have overtaken us.

Farewell Hornchurch 😪

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Baggers said:

It is not something we wanted to happen but as we've all noticed events have overtaken us.

Farewell Hornchurch 😪

That is so sad but not unexpected at the moment. Particularly as it was to be the last at that venue anyway... We had some great times tho' didn't we...?. Lets hope that gives you guys another year to find somewhere bigger and better!!!

Wishing you all the very best for the future from Thames Valley Scale Model Club. Till the next time... Stay safe.

Edited by keithjs

22 minutes ago, Baggers said:

Farewell Hornchurch 😪

Sorry to hear that Peter, we all have fond memories of the show, except the year the heating wasn't on! I look forward to you hopefully finding a new venue for 2021. Thank you to you and the club team for running such a friendly event over the years.

Colin  

Not unexpected news, sadly .............

I'm really sorry for you though that this has happened and your show was my favourite to attend from my club (Gravesham Military Modelling) so I will really miss it.

Our show is due in May, so not sure what will happen with ours (especially as we will also be using a council property) but probably not looking promising.

Lets hope for better things next year

Regards

Dave

It is a shame Peter, but in these strange days sadly inevitable.

Hopefully a new venue can be found for next year.

I'll keep an eye open for any likely candidates. 

All the best to you and the team.

Real shame that Southern Expo has been cancelled, but hardly unexpected given these uncertain times. Southern Expo has always been a good show and have attended on and off for many years both at Hornchurch and when it was held in Sutton? That`s a few years ago now. Good memories. 

Well I just hope you guys find a new venue, it would be a real shame if Southern Expo just drifted away.

Farewell, Southern Expo and Hornchurch Leisure Centre.  Haven't been for a few years but have fond memories of the show, which I regarded as a counterbalance to Telford at the other end of the year.  Hope the new venue will have better parking facilities!