P-38J Droop Snoot modification decals/masks in 1/48???

cema_ga

Hi comrades!

Anybody saw any kind of alternative markings (decals/masks) for the P-38J Droop Snoot (bomber) modification? Academy OOB options are boring...

Scale 1/48

Thanks in advance

8 minutes ago, cema_ga said:

Academy OOB options are boring...

Maybe some research, AFAIK, the droop snoot were used to lead standard P-38's, so would be marked according to the unit? 

A look here 

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings

reminded me about Droop Snoot simulation markings

P-38%20Lockheed%20Lightning%20Camo%20&%2

So, standard unit markings might give you some more interest.   Reading the above, I don't think there were that many Droopsnoot modifications,  which maybe the reason for lack of schemes

A google turns up this

http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?13085

with some interesting pics,  and, as I suggested, standard unit markings, and some nose art.

this is different, and new too me....

Below
Lockheed P-38J Lightning 'Droop Snoot' 44-23517 personal aircraft of Air Commodore Alfred C H Sharp RAF, pictured at No 51 MU Lichfield, Staffordshire between 1946-48.
RAF Air Commodore Alfred C H Sharp, a former Deputy Chief of Staff HQ 8th AF, was gifted this P-38 Lightning as his personal aircraft when he left to take up a new posting as 54 base commander. Initialy flown soley by Sharp. A 'Droop Snoot*' was lent to No 5 Grp RAF for a month, causing quite an impression, and upon its return to the USAAF, 44-23517 was sent to Langford Lodge for conversion. Used extensively on operations in the master bomber role until AC Sharp left Conningsby for a new posting at Northolt, later transferred to No 51 MU at Lichfield for diposal, thence onto Delft University, Netherlands in 1948 and finally back to the USAAF.

Lockheed%20P-38J%20Lightning%20Droop%20S

Perhaps @Dana Bell  may have a suggestion?

HTH

T

• Thanks 1

There is a very old Microscale decal sheet, #48-24, with markings for a P-38L "Droop Snoot" (serial no.  425605) used as a personal transport for Gen. George Straetmayer Commander of US Air Forces in Burma-India.    The aircraft is natural metal finish with standard late-war US markings and a small badge representing his command.

Maybe Tamiya will grace us with an extension of their  beautiful 1/48 P-38 line and eventually issue one with the glass nose?  If so, lots of aftermarket decals are sure to follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ranger626 said:

There is a very old Microscale decal sheet, #48-24, with markings for a P-38L "Droop Snoot" (serial no.  425605) used as a personal transport for Gen. George Straetmayer Commander of US Air Forces in Burma-India.    The aircraft is natural metal finish with standard late-war US markings and a small badge representing his command.

Actually have the sheet and haven't used it yet. I was planning on using them eventually for my droopsnoot. 

I've always liked Hellza Droppin' which was featured as a decal option in Revell's old 1/32 Droop Snoot. If you could make a scan of the 1/32 decal sheet and reduce its size to 1/48 it seems very doable to mask the markings (including the name).

https://www.der-lustige-modellbauer.com/t4616p100-jorg-s-flugzeug-hangar

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, elger said:

I've always liked Hellza Droppin' which was featured as a decal option in Revell's old 1/32 Droop Snoot. If you could make a scan of the 1/32 decal sheet and reduce its size to 1/48 it seems very doable to mask the markings (including the name).

https://www.der-lustige-modellbauer.com/t4616p100-jorg-s-flugzeug-hangar

I think the 1/48 Revellogram comes with those as well. I would need to check my spares to see if thats the one on the sheet ? 

Ok so here is whats available in the Revellogram kit. TL7MSSl.jpg

And here are photo’s of the previously mentioned Micro-scale sheet. zQMOgpB.jpg

And the sheet itself, i blurred out the artwork for “Itsy Bitsy II” giving the bird salute. This is after all a family oriented forum. 

59MPLMI.jpg

Hope this helps you in some way. 

Dennis

• Like 1

@cema_ga,

I thought you might be interested in the history of the P-38J and her pilot that Troy posted the photo of. I fell in love with this one when I first saw her in the Ducimus Camouflage and Markings on the P-38; Revell did these markings as one of the choices in their P-38 kit that allowed you to build a 1/72 P-38J, an F-5, and a P-38M, IIRC. It was also the first time I had seen the droop snoot simulation and that prompted me to look into its history, which explained what the photos of P-38's with polished nosecaps and white bands were all about that I saw in various references. I think Hasegawa also did these markings in a 1/72 P-38J D-Day special boxing.

Mike

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/55497

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok so here is whats available in the Revellogram kit.

Thank You!

It's 1/48? Bomba-Dear is the DroopSnoot or simulator? Which boxing it?

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I thought you might be interested in the history of the P-38J and her pilot that Troy posted the photo of.

Sure! Thank You!

On 11/1/2019 at 8:34 AM, elger said:

I've always liked Hellza Droppin' which was featured as a decal option in Revell's old 1/32 Droop Snoot. If you could make a scan of the 1/32 decal sheet and reduce its size to 1/48 it seems very doable to mask the markings

Great! Look's like the last choice - I still haven't the cutting printer, but may be it's a reason to by one...

5 hours ago, cema_ga said:

Thank You!

It's 1/48? Bomba-Dear is the DroopSnoot or simulator? Which boxing it?

Its the more recent boxings with Bongs markings. Heres the link to the Scalemates page for it. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-85-5479-p-38j-lightning--159043

The Revell/Monogram has the parts in the kit including the window cut-outs in the plastic. But some may not be skilled enough to do that. So they give simulated side windows in decal form, shown in my photo. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1