Monogram Hurst Hairy Olds

Here's my take on the Monogram Hurst Hairy Olds.

Not a show only car, the real thing ran on US Dragstrips in the sixties. Two blown big block Olds motors got it down the track, right up until it inevitably crashed. It was the sixties man...

The Hairy bit in the title comes from a bit of period American slang, hairy meaning terrifying. Quite appropriate in this case. Hurst were an aftermarket company probably most famous for their Hurst Shifters, nice tight action gearsticks and linkages. They hooked up with Oldsmobile for a few promotional escapades, the Hurst edition Olds 442 street car being one. Linda Vaughn was the front for the Hurst aftermarket ad campaigns, in more ways than one. There's a couple of Oldsmobile models available with figures of Linda included.

IMG-9766.jpg

The build is straight out the box, nothing added. The Store Display type base was made using the box the kit came in, cut about and added to a bit of yellow card. The orange stripes on the card are Tamiya masking tape. The box was a recent repro one so no collectable kits were harmed in the making of this model!

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

The display and the car look great. Can we see some more pictures?

I only took a couple, I'll take a few more and add them ASAP.

IMG-9762.jpg

The card base is propped up with a stand glued to the back. It all folds flat for storage. The black background is a square of black perspex I use for pictures. It works well.

IMG-9767.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Spiny said:

That looks a really good build, the paint in particular looking very good. But is it wrong that I opened this thread expecting to see a hairy car such as the "Dumb & Dumber" van ? ;)

The Cheech and Chong dope van would fit in that mindset as well. Not to worry, a twin engined, four slicked, 60's coupe is just as bizzare.

A couple more shots were requested, who am I to argue with a chance to show off?

I jazzed the base up a bit with some black card added as I quite liked the look with a black background, it brings the colours of the base out even more. 

IMG-9954.jpg

IMG-9957.jpg

Sat on a mirror shows the underside a bit. There's not too much to see there as it's a straight out the box build.

IMG-9962.jpg

And finally, a bit of cushion padding provides the tire smoke this thing could generate in copious amounts. No sound effects unfortunately, think stupid loud and double that would be about right.

IMG-9964.jpg

IMG-9965.jpg

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 6

One for the kit historians, the first issue Olds, the Monogram/Mattel issue and the Street Machine version. The Hurst licence must have run out at this point, the real car was long gone at that point as well. Not one of Monograms finer moments, but these things happen when companies get taken over.

IMG-0002.jpg

IMG-9998.jpg

• Like 3

Wow! I've not seen that clip before, thanks for the link. I guess making a car uncontrolable at both ends is never going to end well.

Looking at the after crash shots I see I've got the paint stripe dip by the door wrong on mine, not enough of a tail on it. I'll take a look in the morning to see if I can correct that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...