Academy 1/48 Hunter

Doccur

Evening all. 

Was given this kit by my father about ten years ago while in my early teens. Made a fairly reasonable start to it considering my age at the time: 

48981620866_e4d081c10d_b.jpg

The only parts that have been touched are in the below image, with the rest having been left on the sprue:

48981807872_1db420e5b4_b.jpg

The cockpit is fairly nice but I may invest in a replacement bang seat, because, as many will know academy modelled a 1/48 scale aircraft with a 1/72 seat... 🤦🏻‍♂️

As the decals on this are naff I will be purchasing some Xtradecals to depict this aircraft:

48981664481_1972a19595_b.jpg

This will he started once I have completed my builds in the P-40 and Film etc GBs. 

Wish me luck!

Ash

• Like 7

Thanks guys! As a heads up this one will be done OOB with the exception of decals. I have only just realised the vast amount of errors this kit has and if I were to correct them all I’d be here for ever. So please rivet counters, if you are that way inclined, look away now! 

Cheers

Ash

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Sadly you may find that you'll have to modify your after-market bang seat as, whilst not being 1/72th like the seat, the cockpit is a tad shallow.

Good start, and I like your choice of markings.

Thanks for this Steve. This is making me reconsider putting a resin seat in at all! 

• Like 1

Just a thought Ash: have you got a seat from another 1/48th jet you could use as a trial installation to see how much room you've got and how much, if at all, you'd need to take off a resin seat?  If it's only 40 thou' or so it probably wouldn't show.

• 2 months later...

Finally made a start (a second start?) on this one. Did a lot of sanding of the fuselage seams to make sure my earlier work was up to snuff. Dry fitted the wings and had a real bad time of it. Turned out my earlier fitting of the intake trunking was somewhat dodgy. I managed to get this loose and play about with the wings until they fitted ok. Got these glued on only to reveal several thin gaps. Out came the liquid poly and clamps. And after liberal amounts of the former and elbow grease I’ve managed to get the wings on... what a pig!!! 

49347383693_2d7e72bf87_b.jpg

Cheers,

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 7

A lot of faults with this kit but a bit of effort makes it well worthwhile.  Leaving aside the too shallow cockpit, the tail is for me the issue that spoils the appearance of the Academy Hunter but it is very easy to address.  Cut 3mm off the end of the tail "bullet" & reprofile it back to a rounded point (as the cutting will expose a "hole" in the end you'll need to plug it with filler or scrap plastic) .  Remove 3mm from the FRONT of the locating table for each of the horizontal tail surfaces & fix them as far forward as you can in their locating slots, this will bring the trailing edges of the elevators in line with that of the rudder which is as it should be.  HTH

• Like 1

Thanks @Graham T and @Ray_W  

Graham, these sound like relatively minor alterations and they should improve the look of the kit somewhat so I shall probably attempt these. As stated earlier, the cockpit had already been assembled so no hope of sorting academy’s mess out there 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Cheers

Ash

• Like 1

Made some more progress, I have put in (what I hope is) enough nose weight and glued on the nose. Also I have taken Graham’s advice and cut the required length off of the stabilisers and the bullet. This is getting reshaped using heated up sprue and then filed and sanded to profile. I will no doubt need to use a tiny bit of filler on this piece as well. 

49375422131_692367585a_b.jpg 49375626692_4cefaf0f15_b.jpg

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Pretty much just prepping this for painting now! Taken Graham’s advice and moved the tailplanes forward. If I’m going to get this in the gallery I’ll need to move at breakneck speed! I’ll give it a go but can’t say I’m particularly confident 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

49416409566_a62fbb89cb_b.jpg

Cheers

Ash

• Like 6

Evening!

Finished surface prep and got some trusty Halfords grey primer down. Only one or two areas than need addressing and then I can get some HSS sprayed. Going to try out on an old kit to figure out how I’m going to spray the Tamiya mix. 

49430752668_c54c5fdb04_b.jpg 49431450762_4a264cb06f_b.jpg

Cheers

Ash

• Like 7

On 20/01/2020 at 17:05, Doccur said:

If I’m going to get this in the gallery I’ll need to move at breakneck speed! I’ll give it a go but can’t say I’m particularly confident 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I know the feeling! Three months goes by very quickly. I’ve resigned myself to not finishing the Victor and will concentrate on the Vulcan - hopefully I’ll get that one into the gallery!

• Sad 1

Hi all,

got the ‘HSS’ on, the Tamiya aluminium has sprayed a bit grainy but I reckon it will look better under varnish. Now for some masking! 

49435214473_061c41637b_b.jpg

@Back in the Saddlei know the feeling! I only pull my finger out close to the deadline with everything I do for some reason 🤦🏻‍♂️

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hi all,

Apart from some paint drying on my needle and having a mare masking (more of this to come), I have the Dark Sea grey sprayed: 

49443993682_34c6976326_b.jpg

@Back in the Saddle I don’t know how you’re coping with the masking on those big V bombers 😂

Cheers 

Ash

• Like 4

Looking good Ash.  

One minor point: your F. 6 wouldn’t have had the ERU blisters above the outer wing panels, they appeared on the FGA. 9 and derivatives thereof.  Hopefully you can get ‘em off without wrecking your paintwork, but they sit within the area of the roundel anyway, and applying the roundel over ‘em is going to (very not) be fun.

• Thanks 1