NMF P-40N ++ FINISHED +++

CliffB

I'm coming to the party late, but hopefully not too late.

A year or so ago, I bought a set of eight, secondhand 1/100 Eldon 'Match Kits' and I'm gradually working my way through these, as GB topics permit.

This Warhawk, will be my fourth build from the batch.

P1110002.jpg

P1110003.jpg

Despite their age (1967), these Japanese produced kits have recessed panel lines and go together reasonably well.  The only downsides are the recessed decal placement markings (which I shall be filling), and the use of speculative post war schemes.

I've decided to stay with the kit's suggestion of an NMF, but will be finishing my model as this aircraft (taken from the Wings Palette website., which provides details of the original source of the artwork.)

3_3_b1.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hmm... my profile cynicism kicked in on this,  but in this case google was my friend...

Curtiss-P-40N-Warhawk-USAAF-44-7071-13FG

a flight sim skin here shows an stripe underwing

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/P-40/13FG.html

I'm not up enough on Pacific markings to know if that's right or not

HTH

Thanks Troy

If I'm reading it correctly, the skin actually shows the stripe as being on top of the starboard wing.  Is it my imagination, or can one see it in the photo too, lapping over the top of the leading edge?

Cheers

Cliff

56 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Is it my imagination, or can one see it in the photo too, lapping over the top of the leading edge?

As I said, i don't know.  I don't think the book that might have that information is too hand,  but if he's about @Dana Bell  would be likely to know

There is an interesting thread here 

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?topic=339645.0

discussing the scheme, and  the descriptions accuracy, but without much conclusion.

Hopefully Dana will add to this,  I'll have a ponder on finding some more info. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

I've decided to stay with the kit's suggestion of an NMF, but will be finishing my model as this aircraft (taken from the Wings Palette website., which provides details of the original source of the artwork.)

3_3_b1.jpg

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hmm... my profile cynicism kicked in on this,  but in this case google was my friend...

Curtiss-P-40N-Warhawk-USAAF-44-7071-13FG

a flight sim skin here shows an stripe underwing

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/P-40/13FG.html

I'm not up enough on Pacific markings to know if that's right or not

HTH

I tracked that plane down two years ago. It wasn't in the pacific its from a stateside training unit in Florida. It crashed in June/July of ‘45 and was written off. I will see if I can find the info again. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok here is this sight. https://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/AARmonthly/Jul1945S.htm

and a bit of a way down is this accident report for 45/07/04. 

kMbLTUQ.png
It was flying from Romulus AAF base Michigan To Dale Marby AAF Florida. I think thats supposed to be Dale Mabry field which was a field near Tallahassee. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Mabry_Army_Airfield

Ive always liked the markings but cant find a set in 1/48 or 1/72 so Ive held off building it. Here a a couple alternatives if you want NMF
jLsYoL7.png

e7P8X1M.png

If you try googling 13th fighter group ww2 it comes up with zero as well.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My little Warhawk is going together reasonably quickly.

I've sanded off the rivets (although their ghosts are still visible in the silver plastic), filled the decal markings and re-scribed the panel lines where necessary.

P1110004.jpg

I rarely add detail to my 1/100 scale builds, as I prefer instead to knock them out reasonably quickly and then move on to the next kit.  Just like I used to do in fact, when I was a lad :)!

However, in the case of this Warhawk, the gaping void behind the pilot just looked too odd, so I've added some structure from plastic card.

P1110005.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

15 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looking good Cliff,

Cheers Greg 👍

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice work on the roll over assembly behind the pilot. 

Thanks guys :)

There's good news and bad news re. the canopy.

P1110007.jpg

It fits well and is reasonably clear (at least by Eldon's standards).  However:

• It's not long enough (front to back)
  • The windscreen is too upright
  • The framing is incorrect.

The last one is easy to fix, but I'm just going to have to live with the first two.  Let's hope that the bright orange paintwork is an adequate distraction ;)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

Is it all due to the spine and therefore canopy being too tall? So it pushes everything high and drags the windscreen angle up with it.

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Is it all due to the spine and therefore canopy being too tall? So it pushes everything high and drags the windscreen angle up with it.

Hi Col.

Just by eye, the height of the spine looks OK to me.  The canopy will look shallower once it's painted, as the sill will be higher that it appears at the moment.

I think the real problem is that the canopy does not extend far enough forward (particularly on its bottom edge).

Funnily enough, the shape of the canopy in the RNZAF artwork provided by Dennis in post #6 is much closer to what I've got (i.e. the windscreen is more vertical).

I don't know enough about P-40s to know whether the artwork is correct, but so far I haven't seen any photographs showing an aircraft with a more upright screen.

It's all part of the fun I guess!

Cliff

• Like 1

Time for another update folks.

After half a dozen fill/sand cycles, I finally managed to get rid of the decal placement marks and successfully re-scribe the panel lines through the filled areas. 

P1110014.jpg

Coming late to a STGB is great, because it means that you can follow everyone else's lead.

Accordingly, my cockpit is painted a mixture of interior green and olive drab ;)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

But there's no disguising the weird shape of the canopy!

When was the kit made in the 60’s .. 70’s  ? They probably just went from a set of plans and someone measured it wrong. True its noticeable, but only if you really know P-40’s can you tell whats off. Its nothing that is going to kill the good work thats been put into this. Besides how many of these kits ever get built. Only collectors and you buy them from what I've seen. And in 25+ years of shows, meets, and competitions I've never seen another build of any of these little kits ? So to build them and give them there day in the spotlight is a good thing. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

When was the kit made in the 60’s .. 70’s  ? They probably just went from a set of plans and someone measured it wrong. True its noticeable, but only if you really know P-40’s can you tell whats off. Its nothing that is going to kill the good work thats been put into this. Besides how many of these kits ever get built. Only collectors and you buy them from what I've seen. And in 25+ years of shows, meets, and competitions I've never seen another build of any of these little kits ? So to build them and give them there day in the spotlight is a good thing. 

Thanks Dennis.  These kits are indeed children of the 60s and one of the reasons that I like to build them is that I don't have to take them too seriously :winkgrin:.  They take me back to my childhood (also in the 60s), when I'd go round to my local newsagents and choose an Airfix kit from whatever limited selection they happened to have at that time.  Accuracy was never an issue!

Cheers

Cliff 

• Like 1

All masked up now and ready for some stripes.

P1110019.jpg

I thought long and hard (well for a few minutes anyway), about whether to include the wing stripe or not.

The flight sim skin referenced by Troy in post #2 shows it, but Hasegawa's interpretation (courtesy of Scalemates), does not.

141186-27767-67-pristine.jpg

What swung it for me was Troy's photo (also in post #2), where I've persuaded myself that I can just see a stripe at the wing's leading edge.  But who really knows? ;)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Col. said:

A classic case of IMBM Cliff so go with whatever option pleases you ;)

Exactly! :D

So, the black's on now and masking's complete for the orange.  It's probably not the brightest idea to paint orange over black, but it made the masking easier that way!

P1110020.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

On 11/16/2019 at 8:12 PM, Col. said:

Tidy paintwork Cliff :speak_cool:

Thanks Col!

Well, it's finished now :).  The decals came from my spares box, so I've had to make a few compromises.  Overall though, I'm pleased with the result.

P1110031.jpg

I'll post some more photos in the Gallery shortly, but in the meantime thanks @TEMPESTMK5 for hosting the GB.  I would never have picked this kit out of my stash without it!

Thanks also to all who have supported the build, especially @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @Troy Smith for keeping me on the right track with the scheme ;)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 8