Airfix b5n1 Kate 1/72

KonaDawg

Hello all,

Box art caught my eye and since I've never built a Japanese aircraft kit, thought I'd have a stab.  This plane seems to feature pretty highly in the new and from the trailers at least, pretty awful remake of Midway.  So.... Really like the shape of this bomber and going for the natural metal scheme.  £18.99 seems a bit pricey for this kit????  The nose is warped as well which doesn't help.  Rest looks good though 😊

2019-10-28_03-38-58

Misaligned nose.  Might be OK though..

2019-10-28_03-34-09

And some work in the interior

2019-10-28_03-33-29

Looks a bit too green at the moment but will lighten up highlighting.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, KonaDawg said:

Modern Airfix kits (as well as others) are noted for having VERY tight tolerances,  check that the mis alignment is not cause by paint on the the bulkhead and internal fuselage. 

If it is warped, try gently flexing the part back to shape,  as while it may not straighten it, it will help the plastic conform when it gets clamped later.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Modern Airfix kits (as well as others) are noted for having VERY tight tolerances,  check that the mis alignment is not cause by paint on the the bulkhead and internal fuselage. 

If it is warped, try gently flexing the part back to shape,  as while it may not straighten it, it will help the plastic conform when it gets clamped later.

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the reply.  I think the nose section thats still to be added will sort the front misalignment.  Its the left side fuselage that is bent a bit.  Not that obvious in the picture.  Should be fine though.

Edited by KonaDawg
spellings

• 6 months later...
On 10/29/2019 at 9:32 AM, KonaDawg said:

2019-10-28_03-34-09

Just reached a similiar point on my b5n2 kate and had the same thing but as soon as the next nose section goes on it closes up

Edited by neil5208
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Really stunning so far!  I like your technique of anchoring the interior to the wing center section to ensure nothing gets out of alignment.  Alex T.

Cheers Alex!

2 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Just reached a similiar point on my b5n2 kate and had the same thing but as soon as the next nose section goes on it closes up

Yeah, its not a problem really but does make getting the instrument panel seated properly a chore. For me anyway.  Good luck with your build.

• 2 weeks later...