1/48 Hasegawa Arado 234

I started this kit over three years ago and ran into a lot of problematic areas with this kit. To say that this kit has now moved into #1 on my most difficult/ frustrating and sometimes angering build would simply be an understatement. It was so bad that I stepped away from aircraft building altogether for those 3 years. Some of it I brought on myself by making things more difficult than they needed to be and other areas were just plain ridiculous the way Hasegawa put this thing together. This kit is touted to be one of the best scale model representations of this iconic plane and on that point I'll agree once it's built. Getting there was the difficult part for me. Enough of that banter though. Thanks go out to all who followed, commented and helped out since its beginning.

After 3 long years my Arado is finally completed:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In progress cockpit :

spacer.png

aaaaaaaaaand engine shot:

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 3

Stunning job!

When I returned to modelling in 2015, a Revell boxing of this kit was the third build I did. It nearly put me off modelling. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

• Like 1

Thank you all. 

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

Stunning job!

When I returned to modelling in 2015, a Revell boxing of this kit was the third build I did. It nearly put me off modelling. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

I know right? I got through it though and am looking forward to the next project.

• Like 1

I have this kit, along with a few resin parts, tucked in the box for years. I remember trying a dry fit of parts and it looked Ok...what were the troublesome areas you encountered?

I must say you made a splendid model out of it, truly splendid

• Like 1

Thanks for the great comments fellas.

19 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

I have this kit, along with a few resin parts, tucked in the box for years. I remember trying a dry fit of parts and it looked Ok...what were the troublesome areas you encountered?

I must say you made a splendid model out of it, truly splendid

It may have been my order of battle in doing things but the main things that gave me all the trouble was the main landing gear and then that whole front section to main fuselage assembly process. Totally tricky. If one's not careful it will be at that front section to main fuselage join that'll either cause the build to slide off the table (figuratively speaking) or be a total success. There is no in-between. It's either a total pass or total fail result because it's so visible.